• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Still though, with all this "alternate world" stuff, a lot of it boils down to a journey fic with a bunch of new sparkles pasted on.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Still though, with all this "alternate world" stuff, a lot of it boils down to a journey fic with a bunch of new sparkles pasted on.

^THIS

...would be the real trend in RPs right now.

End of the world as we know it, zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, ancient magical prophecy, race against time to stop supervirus...no matter what the context, we start at the lab where we get our level 5 starters *Insert obligatory statbox, moveset, and sprite here*, some of these are like rare so you need a reeeeeally good sign-up to get them, there's one wildcard and that could be anything. Oh, and one of them miiiight be shiny. Bling bling, lucky lucky, could be you. That's usually at least 50% of the submissions, no kidding.

The RP then plays out much like any journey RP ever, confirming that it's really just Journey with a layer of cheap Special (tm) on top of it.

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
  • ^THIS

End of the world as we know it, zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, ancient magical prophecy, race against time to stop supervirus...no matter what the context, we start at the lab where we get our level 5 starters *Insert obligatory statbox, moveset, and sprite here*, some of these are like rare so you need a reeeeeally good sign-up to get them, there's one wildcard and that could be anything. Oh, and one of them miiiight be shiny. Bling bling, lucky lucky, could be you. That's usually at least 50% of the submissions, no kidding.

The RP then plays out much like any journey RP ever, confirming that it's really just Journey with a layer of cheap Special (tm) on top of it.

Aww, that sucks! I was working on a zombie one but wanted it to be different, but its really just what you described :P What should I do to make it different?

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    ^THIS

...would be the real trend in RPs right now.

I don't so much like starting with a low level starter rather than having other pokemon prior to the RP.

But I'v noticed it seems to be some and some of had pokemon prior to RP, and getting a starter.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2010
    Aww, that sucks! I was working on a zombie one but wanted it to be different, but its really just what you described :P What should I do to make it different?

I'm not as experienced as Alter Ego, but I do have some experience with modding the RP section on a smaller forum, so I'm willing to help.

My best advice would be to start where it gets interesting. Rather than having to go through "Get our starters, than catch pokemon and get THREE GYM BADGES, before the first minor plot point!", start when things actually start happening.

For example, the zombies have already taken a good third of the region and you can start out as a trainer with experience trapped in the infected area. You could add in other options, like trying to battle the infection from regions that're still safe, or being a scientist working to find a cure, etc. What matters is that you skipped the tedious process of having a typical trainer roleplay before the start of the plot, and managed to get to the part where it's a unique roleplay.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • I'm not as experienced as Alter Ego, but I do have some experience with modding the RP section on a smaller forum, so I'm willing to help.

My best advice would be to start where it gets interesting. Rather than having to go through "Get our starters, than catch pokemon and get THREE GYM BADGES, before the first minor plot point!", start when things actually start happening.

For example, the zombies have already taken a good third of the region and you can start out as a trainer with experience trapped in the infected area. You could add in other options, like trying to battle the infection from regions that're still safe, or being a scientist working to find a cure, etc. What matters is that you skipped the tedious process of having a typical trainer roleplay before the start of the plot, and managed to get to the part where it's a unique roleplay.

ZOMBIEEEES! That sounds like so much fun. XD

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    ZOMBIEEEES! That sounds like so much fun. XD

Pokémon Zombies doesn't sound that interesting... and besides.. someone has totally done that... I've tried to think of a non-pokemon zombie plot, but it comes out real similar to Resident Evil, or L4D. Or this other zombie/alien/zombiealien game I played but can't recall the name off..

:/ I've been trying to think of a really good plot, but I can't. I think it is because I have the big test coming up... and a bunch of HW... :/

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years

• Pokémon Zombies doesn't sound that interesting... and besides.. someone has totally done that... I've tried to think of a non-pokemon zombie plot, but it comes out real similar to Resident Evil, or L4D. Or this other zombie/alien/zombiealien game I played but can't recall the name off..

:/ I've been trying to think of a really good plot, but I can't. I think it is because I have the big test coming up... and a bunch of HW... :/

What? How can anything zombie-themed not sound interesting? I mean. ZOMBIES. I don't know. It never gets old for me, even if it has been done before, and often.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    What? How can anything zombie-themed not sound interesting? I mean. ZOMBIES. I don't know. It never gets old for me, even if it has been done before, and often.

The only thing I can really think of is a team of exterminators with different classes/roles... but that is more ORP...

Of course... it could be Pokemon too. (Medic, Heavy Weapons) Medic can be someone with like a Blissey, and some other pokemon with lots of healing moves.. and Heavy Weapons can be someone with a Magmortar, Electrive, or something...

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
  • My best advice would be to start where it gets interesting. Rather than having to go through "Get our starters, than catch pokemon and get THREE GYM BADGES, before the first minor plot point!", start when things actually start happening.

For example, the zombies have already taken a good third of the region and you can start out as a trainer with experience trapped in the infected area. What matters is that you skipped the tedious process of having a typical trainer roleplay before the start of the plot, and managed to get to the part where it's a unique roleplay.

I was going to do this and also add in Suvivors and Pshycopaths which would impact the story. What would people be looking for in a zombie RP?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Aww, that sucks! I was working on a zombie one but wanted it to be different, but its really just what you described :P What should I do to make it different?

Well, it should be fairly obvious but...

...if you want to be original then ripping off the dead standard sign-up/starter mold is a horribly bad place to start. Not to mention that the whole starter setup is nonsensical in a zombie apocalypse setting. :\

If there really was a zombie menace, then the first line of defense would obviously be professional security (Prolly the police officers with their assorted pokémon) or otherwise exceptionally strong trainers in official positions like gym leaders and the elite four. The people who only have a level 5 starter would logically be among the first to fall.

Basic common sense goes a long way already, beyond that...

...eh, I've always found zombie-centric plots to be rather dull one-trick ponies, so I'll refer to those who actually have some interest in the setup.

The warden

I'm back!
    Years
  • ...would be the real trend in RPs right now.

A while back I was planning a RP set in a region where one company had gathered so much power that it was almost running the entire region; I planned it to start with beginner trainers setting out on a journey to compete in the Pokémon league; however right from the beginning things will be different.

Firstly in a region where one company has a monopoly on pretty much all the Pokémon in the region, if you can afford to buy an "ordinary" starter Pokémon you have to pick from much weaker Pokémon, maybe from a Pokémon adoption center or as a gift from a close friend. Oh and don't expect a friendly professor to give you a starter, all research in the region is conducted private in facilities owned by the mega corporation and the researchers are not interested in helping the people of the region.

Secondly the corporation runs the Pokémon league and for every year in the last fifteen years it has sponsored the best trainers in the league, for each of those years one of those trainers won, except last year. Last year the trainer that won was not sponsored by the corporation, this lost the company a fortune in potential sales, advertising and its over inflated stocks and shares plummeted. The company never did play fair in its attempts to get one of its candidates to win but this year it would try every trick it could to beat who ever stood against it. Now you may say what is the point in opposing this company if it has so much power there is no one on the other side. There is another side to this story however, hiding from the security forces that have almost entirely replaced the police*. A group of freedom fighters, started by gym leaders that opposed the changes the company asked for during its initial takeover of the league. They now stand for a region independent of the company but not all the freedom fighters have such noble goals, in their quest for support, the former gym leaders hired bounty hunters and other people who had a grudge against the company. Also within the rebellion there is a group with motives very different to the rest of the rebellion.

What about after you have finally got a starter Pokémon, go out and catch some better Pokémon. Not so easy, much of the region is split into privately owned Pokémon capture parks, similar to the safari zones. So what about the rest of the region, that's a no no to as a lot of the rest of the region is split into Pokémon nature reserves, that have been established by the corporation to "protect" rare Pokémon, it is simply a guise to defend their restriction of what Pokémon trainers own. The remained of the region is over used for catching; so many trainers have resorted to breaking into the capture parks and reserves to poach Pokémon. Many get away with it but those that get caught are permanently banned from keeping Pokémon.

Other problems that trainers would face include over stretched public Pokémon center cervices, as private Pokémon medical make a fortune, over priced equipment costs and any other problems that the corporation throw in their way. And what of the trainers that beat the first few Gym leaders and have a shot of winning the Pokémon league, that's simple, they have one choice to make. Join the corporation and get their funding and access to their training facilities but have to follow their orders even if it means losing to another of their favorites or join the rebellion with their limited resources but great will to win and freedom. Either way there is no middle ground as to win the support and protection of one group or the other because without the help of one group you would make enemies of both.

Finally my point is that even though I had never before ran this kind of RP, I decided to start right from the beginning of the journey because I saw it as essential for the RP's to really build their characters. The start of the RP would be all about trying to train under such restricting circumstances and the second half of the RP would be about what the choices of the few who make it to the Pokémon league finals and who the others react to this. And to finish I will say that I have no intention of making this RP any time soon as I am currently very busy with the end of my second year at university and have another idea for the next RP I will be working on soonish.

* It was at this point during writing that I realized I was typing a RP plot and not an argument but I continued with my rant any way.

KaraC

Champion Wannabe
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    This actually sounds like a lot of fun! If/when you start this, can you save a place for my character? I'll have her ready for final inspection soon.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • A while back I was planning a RP set in a region where one company had gathered so much power that it was almost running the entire region; I planned it to start with beginner trainers setting out on a journey to compete in the Pokémon league; however right from the beginning things will be different.

Firstly in a region where one company has a monopoly on pretty much all the Pokémon in the region, if you can afford to buy an "ordinary" starter Pokémon you have to pick from much weaker Pokémon, maybe from a Pokémon adoption center or as a gift from a close friend. Oh and don't expect a friendly professor to give you a starter, all research in the region is conducted private in facilities owned by the mega corporation and the researchers are not interested in helping the people of the region.

Secondly the corporation runs the Pokémon league and for every year in the last fifteen years it has sponsored the best trainers in the league, for each of those years one of those trainers won, except last year. Last year the trainer that won was not sponsored by the corporation, this lost the company a fortune in potential sales, advertising and its over inflated stocks and shares plummeted. The company never did play fair in its attempts to get one of its candidates to win but this year it would try every trick it could to beat who ever stood against it. Now you may say what is the point in opposing this company if it has so much power there is no one on the other side. There is another side to this story however, hiding from the security forces that have almost entirely replaced the police*. A group of freedom fighters, started by gym leaders that opposed the changes the company asked for during its initial takeover of the league. They now stand for a region independent of the company but not all the freedom fighters have such noble goals, in their quest for support, the former gym leaders hired bounty hunters and other people who had a grudge against the company. Also within the rebellion there is a group with motives very different to the rest of the rebellion.

What about after you have finally got a starter Pokémon, go out and catch some better Pokémon. Not so easy, much of the region is split into privately owned Pokémon capture parks, similar to the safari zones. So what about the rest of the region, that's a no no to as a lot of the rest of the region is split into Pokémon nature reserves, that have been established by the corporation to "protect" rare Pokémon, it is simply a guise to defend their restriction of what Pokémon trainers own. The remained of the region is over used for catching; so many trainers have resorted to breaking into the capture parks and reserves to poach Pokémon. Many get away with it but those that get caught are permanently banned from keeping Pokémon.

Other problems that trainers would face include over stretched public Pokémon center cervices, as private Pokémon medical make a fortune, over priced equipment costs and any other problems that the corporation throw in their way. And what of the trainers that beat the first few Gym leaders and have a shot of winning the Pokémon league, that's simple, they have one choice to make. Join the corporation and get their funding and access to their training facilities but have to follow their orders even if it means losing to another of their favorites or join the rebellion with their limited resources but great will to win and freedom. Either way there is no middle ground as to win the support and protection of one group or the other because without the help of one group you would make enemies of both.

Finally my point is that even though I had never before ran this kind of RP, I decided to start right from the beginning of the journey because I saw it as essential for the RP's to really build their characters. The start of the RP would be all about trying to train under such restricting circumstances and the second half of the RP would be about what the choices of the few who make it to the Pokémon league finals and who the others react to this. And to finish I will say that I have no intention of making this RP any time soon as I am currently very busy with the end of my second year at university and have another idea for the next RP I will be working on soonish.

* It was at this point during writing that I realized I was typing a RP plot and not an argument but I continued with my rant any way.

See now, I have no problem with that.

The entire point of that post I made was that far too often, people force starters into situations and settings where they just don't make any sense. In other words, they're really just doing cookie-cutter journey with an entire secondary setup plastered on top that does not relate to or really affect the journey in any significant way, which makes the 'originality' nothing more than a strap-on gimmick.

What you described is an RP with a nonstandard starting setup that's clearly linked to how the journey will start and progress, shapes the conflict etc. That would be the right way to go about it, so...not quite sure why you felt like quoting my post there? I'm not opposed to journey RPs, heck, I'm a junkie for OT setups; I just resent OT done badly. =P

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Yeah, I like the aura idea, the only problem i see is it doesn't seem to have much of an objective to it aside from doing missions and what not. It's still awesome

Does anyone see a problem with my RP? because last time I did it I had enough SUs to start it and it be a solid RP.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I've been working on an idea, or at least trying. I keep scrapping everything.. :/ I guess that I'll put what I got up here.

Spoiler:

As you can see it isn't much, any ideas, any critique?

KaraC

Champion Wannabe
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    I'm loathe to interrupt, but there's a term I've come across a fair bit in the RP section of the board and from the impression I get it's not a good thing. However I would like an actual definition.
    What, precisely, is 'Bunnying'?
    This is not a word I've come across before, although I've probably seen the meaning elsewhere under a different name.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • ^It means to briefly take control of another Roleplayer's character (or the events of the RP) without consent.

Not the end of the world :) But it becomes annoying when people make a habit of it.

Back