• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • Why would Game Freak still be developing games for the DS? It's over 6 years old now, and the 3DS' release is in less than two months.

There's the possibility that the HGSS team has been working on something for release in 2011, but they might just have easily decided to rather concentrate on 3DS development for a year and come out with something in 2012. Remembering Ruby and Sapphire, they (in Japan) came out in November 2002 after the Game Boy Advance was released in March 2001.
    Wow, I didnt realize how old Ruby and Sapphire are now xD and yes it is time for Pokemon to upgrade to the 3DS. Correct me if Im wrong but I heard right before the release of Black and White in japan, gamefreak was able to spend some time toying with the 3DS. Oh boy oh boy, I cannot wait. Just imagine how awesome the scecret bases will look on the 3DS.

Also, I wonder who they are going to choose to be the champion. Steven or Wallace. Or both? xD

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I do not remember posting on here but I really hope they do remake them. Hoenn is by far my favorite gen in both show and game. Why wouldn't they remake it? They remade Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/and Crystal.

If they do remake it will be a year or so after Black and White.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Well, although im excited for a remake, i just don't think R/S will be remade, so yeah im one of those 'Emerald Remake fans', but before i get a thousand and two ppl on my back, listen to this..

In HG/SS in the celadon city houses, go up stairs to the game freak room, there is a man with a GREEN hat and he talks about remaking A (one) game, what can that mean? They stated that there will be no Yellow remake, its clear that emerald would be remade if you look at that and the other clues (houses have green roofs in Kanto, the gate connecting routes and cities in kanto look like an upside down emerald, the emerald mine in the B/W gym, the emeralds in cerealian cave etc).

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Well, although im excited for a remake, i just don't think R/S will be remade, so yeah im one of those 'Emerald Remake fans', but before i get a thousand and two ppl on my back, listen to this..

In HG/SS in the celadon city houses, go up stairs to the game freak room, there is a man with a GREEN hat and he talks about remaking A (one) game, what can that mean? They stated that there will be no Yellow remake, its clear that emerald would be remade if you look at that and the other clues (houses have green roofs in Kanto, the gate connecting routes and cities in kanto look like an upside down emerald, the emerald mine in the B/W gym, the emeralds in cerealian cave etc).

When people say 'R/S remake' they mean 'Emerald remake'. It's the same thing with some little additions.

Everyone calls HG/SS Gold and Siver remakes (and is what they're advertised as) but they're technically remakes that build mostly off what was in Crystal with slight differences in Wild Pokémon encounters and like one event between each other.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think he was more so referring to mixing the Aqua/Magma plots like Emerald did, and if they do RS remakes, they can't really well be called remakes if you have to fend off both teams. I do prefer Emerald over RS though, but having EtherealEmerald doesn't seem likely since it's just one game and not two, like the other remakes have been released as.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. maybe after gen VI. not after gen V. Here's why: think people what did Red/Blue and Gold/Silver have in common? They were completely incompatible with Ruby/Sapphire. What happened next? FireRed/LeafGreen. Then jump all the way to Diamond/Pearl release. GBA games are compatible making first, third and forth gen pokemon easily obtainable in one game but not second gen pokemon. Thus HeartGold/SoulSilver. Now what do all these game have in common? A version of every gen is compatible in one way or another. So tell me where do Ruby/Sapphire remakes have room here?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I think he was more so referring to mixing the Aqua/Magma plots like Emerald did, and if they do RS remakes, they can't really well be called remakes if you have to fend off both teams. I do prefer Emerald over RS though, but having EtherealEmerald doesn't seem likely since it's just one game and not two, like the other remakes have been released as.

I don't see what problem Game Freak would have with putting the encounter with either Groudon or Kyogre at an earlier stage in the game than the other, perhaps having one of the two teams play a greater involvement in the story or crossing paths with the hero more often than the other depending on which game you play.

I certainly don't imagine it's enough of an issue for Game Freak to contemplate reducing their potential profit by a great amount and releasing only a single game instead of two. Either that or working on some strange hodgepodge of RS and Emerald with what is and what isn't convinent.

Last edited:

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Oh, somewhere where I can share my RSEmakes ideas. I can't on Bulbagarden as I'm banned, nor can I on Serebiiforums as they don't like speculation there.

Well, as some people, I think that a sequel would be better (contemporary with DPPtHGSS or BW). I don't really want an exact remake of RSE. The Hoenn region isn't a nostalgic thing to me. But I'd love to return to Hoenn. I'd be really angry if Unova is the only main game region for this Generation.

So... My ideas, mostly strange and not happening.

-Sequel means new main characters. But old characters must be doing something too. I can see May being Birch's assistant. As of Brendan, he was talking something about opening a Gym in Emerald (if not chosen as a player). Maybe he'd do it (the Gym would be unofficial, and probably post-E4). Would be awesome if they remembered it.

-I'd like these games to have a new rival. RSE didn't have a real rival. Both Brendan/May and Wally were in fact pseudo-rivals. There must be a Hoenn rival.

-As for Wally, I can see him taking Norman's position of the Petalburg City Gym Leader. As for Norman, I think he could be promoted to be the Hoenn Champion! That's because I have the PokeSpe image of him stuck in my head. Norman was as strong as Steven in PokeSpe. I know that manga =/= games but I can really see Norman as the Champion.

-Steven could success his father in being the president of Devon Corporation. He could still be battle-able post-game (with power-upped team with Pokemon from other generations) and he'd play some important part in the story.

-PokeNavi should have a videophone, with a faceshot for every registered character (of course, phone calls should still be there. Don't want the boring Vs Seeker). Really, who wouldn't want normal Trainer faceshots? Trainer's Eyes would still be there. Also, more plot-related phone numbers! And this should not be Pokenavi's only enhancement. I can see this tool being OVERHAULED (though, not turned into a Poketch. Too many people wanted HGSS's Pokegear to be turned into Poketch. Luckily it didn't happen).

-Some people seem to think that Wattson should retire. I personally don't mind Wattson. But I got a crazy idea that Rydel (the bicycle guy) could replace him in the Gym. The Gym would still be at least partially Electric, but also more Speed-oriented (y'know, bicycles, speed).

-Give Winstrates more role, especially Vito. I'd really love to see more of this battling family. They could make their challenge more Gym-like or something.

-Bring polishable Badges back. Who wouldn't want them back?

-We need visible day/night cycle, there's no denying it. I can see seasons being sacrificed by the so-called "remake retardation" (this is, remakes ALWAYS lose some of generational innovations). But I would like seasons to be there too.

-Fix some BW's backsteps. I want walking Pokemon back. And Emerald's Double Battle system.

-As for Magma/Aqua story... This is a hard one. I think a good idea would be to have Neo-Aqua and Neo-Magma, being run by the Admins (remember how useless and unmemorable Team Magma/Aqua Admins were? I think it's time to give them more personality, stronger Pokemon and ARTWORKS). They would be looking for their Leaders, who somehow disappeared in the time interval. The Leaders would appear in the story climax.

-It would still be one Team for a game. But in a more interesting way than in original RS. The locations of the hideouts should vary between versions (doesn't make much sense for Magma to have a hideout on sea near Lilycove or for Aqua to have one in the volcano). It kind of sucked that the only difference between Magma in Ruby and Aqua in Sapphire were character sprites, their Pokemon and their objective, everything else was the same.

-Tate and Liza could become the new guardians of Mt. Pyre (I've never liked them and seen them as a Double Battle gimmick). They would be succeeded in the Gym by a female Dark-type Leader (yeah! Just like in those crazy Hoenn-in-HGSS rumors! Do you remember "Dark-type Gym Leader Lunah and Gardening Maniac Sakura"?). That means Sidney retires, but she could be somehow related to him.

-Juan is the Leader of Sootopolis Gym, Wallace got relegated to the Elite Four. The other three members don't change.

-I'm not a fan of Battle Frontiers but I admit that Hoenn one is so superior to Sinnoh one. It should be there, pretty much intact.

-Redo Rayquaza's story. Jade Orb must be there!

-And Regi quest too! Regigigas must play some role!

-I'm not sure what should be done to Contest Halls/Battle Tents. I think that one Contest Hall in Lilycove is enough. But Battle Tents were unneeded to, they were basically shrunken Battle Frontier. Maybe change them into something where you can gain EXP? Some place where you can always train your Pokemon is a nice thing.

-Now probably the most important idea - make this not just a Hoenn remake! Bring Sevii Islands too! This way, we won't need any FRLG remake. It would be very nice to see how the Sevii Islands changed and how are old characters doing - especially Lorelei (she should be battleable and have some backstory on how she retired from Kanto E4). Sevii is just a perfect post-E4 part! And you can catch old Pokemon there! With Sevii, those Gen. IV remakes can be perfect.

-If not Sevii, then at least give some functionality to the islands surrounding Hoenn. They're pretty big, would make good locations.

-What about event islands (Deoxys, Lugia/Ho-oh, Mew)? Should they be back?

-Some inter-region cameos. But we don't need Cynthia in each game. Oak, however, would be nice (being a classic). Bill could appear in Sevii Islands (being Celio's good friend) too.

-Keep Hoenn-specific items (Two Bikes, Devon Scope [and other Devon products], Pokeblocks, Volcanic Ash, Go-Googles, Orbs, Aqua/Magma Emblem should be version-specific).

-Wouldn't mind many surprises.

I'll add more when I think more up.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • ^Nice speculation.

Any, seeing as the games will comes out next year* (10th anniversary and all, but it'll clash with Gray...) we should get news on them late his year :)

Years
  • I really hope tht we do get to revisit the Hoenn region!!

RSE were great set of games!

I hope that this Gen gets a Yellow remake too!

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I agree with adding the Sevii Islands, it looked like they might do that in Emerald but changed their minds. But I still think any remakes should be based on Emerald. I think the Battle Frontier should be as in Emerald as well (although the layout could be a little improved). As with HeartGold and SoulSilver, I think Latias and Latios should be version-exclusive (personally I'd like Latias in Sapphire and Latios in Ruby as a sort of switcharound), and I think the Safari Zone should be expanded greatly to more than four areas (or more than six after you get the National Dex). I think Pal Park and transferring from generation 3 should return but restrict it to FireRed and LeafGreen.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • ^Nice speculation.

Any, seeing as the games will comes out next year* (10th anniversary and all, but it'll clash with Gray...) we should get news on them late his year :)

That's true, I never thought of it like that, I was thinking we were still in 2010 for some strange reason but yeah, next year and it will be 10 years since the release, it's gone fast! and also that's a good point, if they do the same as they did with HG/SS (10 years after it's original games) then like you said, it should be revealed later this year, can't wait for this and I hope they do remake them, it would make sence really considering they've remade every other game in the past series, RG, GS so RS should be next, besides Nintendo will do anything for money and this would surely rake in a few million.
    Also, I've just figured out that Red & Green were made in 1996, then remade in 2004 (8 Years on) Gold & Silver were made in 1999, then remade in 2009 (10 Years on) so I wonder how they will do it in R/S, maybe with the Red & Green remake they only did it 8 years on as a test to see how well it would go down with the public and it's gone down well so they did the same with HG/SS but 10 years on as an anniversary and they're probally going to want to do something for R/S 10th anniversary, hence a remake and another point is that R/S/E (combined) sold 2 million more copies than G/S/C (combined) did and only 0.8 million short of R/B/G/Y (which has 4 games) so R/S/E are the best selling Pokémon games of the franchise so far and if R/G & G/C got a remake and sold less copies then theres a high chance that R/S will get a remake and theres still months to sell more copies.
    But then it could be announced after the 3rd game of Pokémon Black & White is released, which by schedule should be 2 years AFTER Pokémon Black & White are released (2012/2013) with Diamond & Pearl released September 2006, then Platinum, September 2008, then we had HG/SS in 2009 so by this rate it may be announced late 2013 - early 2014, but then again that would be 12 years after R/S was made, which would kind of make sence considering R/G was 8 years, then G/S was 10 years then R/S is 12 years (and there's a 5 year difference between the remakes so far FR/LG - 2004, HG/SS - 2009) but we'll just wait and see, I hope that theory is incorrect!

Also, we'll probally gather some more hints as we play through Black & White when it comes out in March!

Last edited:

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • Sapphire = my first pokemon game. I'd love to see what they'd do to improve the graphics and gameplay. Not only that, but I recently lost my copy of it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I think Pal Park and transferring from generation 3 should return but restrict it to FireRed and LeafGreen.

The feature was removed in the first place because hardware changes make it impossible. That's just going to get worse once the 3DS arrives.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
  • Eh, third gen is by my far my favorite and I feel like if they revamped it...it would get ruined if it's anything like the newer gens. I'd probably still buy it honestly because I'm horribly impulsive when it comes to these games but I wouldn't adore it like the original, most likely.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    The feature was removed in the first place because hardware changes make it impossible. That's just going to get worse once the 3DS arrives.

Maybe it will, but maybe it won't, seeing as they're planning to have a store to buy retro GB-era games from. All it would need to do is detect the games on the internal memory, or if you own a First-gen DS or DS Lite (like me) it could also read from the GB slot.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Eh, third gen is by my far my favorite and I feel like if they revamped it...it would get ruined if it's anything like the newer gens. I'd probably still buy it honestly because I'm horribly impulsive when it comes to these games but I wouldn't adore it like the original, most likely.

Yeah, I woudn't like it too much If they made the graphics similar to Black & White, all 3Dish, it just woudn't be the same.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back