• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Okay, timeline is important apparently, but can we please get this back on track to RS remakes? I'm getting complaints about this thread again, and this topic is getting derailed. There are a few posts here and there from other people, but you guys just carry on the same debate for pages, and basically get no where cause hardly any of you back down and basically say how the other persons' opinions are crap. If you have to, move your topic somewhere else, because I'm tired of this thread and I'm close to closing it because it's just generated an unfriendly environment. Just consider this a warning before I lock it. I'm fine with great discussion, but you're overrunning the thread. So please take the debate elsewhere. This is PGC, not OC&D. If you have any concerns, don't bring it out in this thread, just PM me. Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Okay, let's end all talk about timeline and other stuff not really connected to remakes.

I just want to say that redoing identical storyline like in original R/S and ignoring Emerald storyline would be disgrace for GF. Remakes without any story changes would mean they put minimal effort in doing them, only to sell more games. Is that really what remakes are supposed to be? They obviously put some effort in HG/SS with mixing G/S and Crystal, even if there was not much to mix, they did what they could.

Without paying attention if story follows originals, would like that idea of changing story in remakes?

Juan could be Gym Leader. Wallace could be his student and would become Champion in post-game, replacing Steven who would give up because of not being interested in fighting anymore. This storyline would be realization of what Juan says in Emerald that he was original Leader of Sootopolis and that Wallace was his student and would keep Steven as Champion in first run and make him stronger in Meteor Fall rematches.

Jaredjuh

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    I have heard a lot about them doing a remake on S/R, I think it wouldn't be real fun if it will be like B/W with the camera options.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well Emerald like most third games were an improvement of RS so it would be kinda stupid to remake Ruby & Sapphire specifically as Emerald had much better features including Battle Frontier, rematches etc. It would certainly lack sales if they did this but I can't see that happening since they implemented the Crystal features into HGSS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    This is how I see this.

Ruby and Sapphire were their own games. Now think about Goku and Vegeta from DBZ. Emerald combined the R/S storylines the same way Goku and Vegeta combine to become Gogeta. Emerald and Gogeta are the combinations of the original versions.

Now you can't take Ruby and combine it with Emerald, the same way you can't fuse Goku and Gogeta. R/S/E are the first games to feature a big change in storylines, so it would make sense for Game Freak to handle these remakes differently than the others. That's why I think we would either get 1 remade Emerald or maybe all 3 Gen 3 titles remade to make everyone happy. But being the original 2 titles, Ruby and Sapphire are the best bets. But which of those choices GF would make is anyone's guess.

I disagree with wombateiro's statement about it being a disgrace if GF doesn't change the story because FR/LG were pretty much exactly the same as the originals until the Elite 4 are defeated, yet everyone loved those games. Lugia and Ho-oh were the main Pokemon of the Gen 2 games, yet were not in a trio. Suicune was merely extra, which may have been meant to promote the movie that featured Celebi and Suicune.

The definition of "remake" is - "to make again or anew." This does not suggest a changed story. All it means is to bring it into the current generation of games with improved technology and any new features added to the games since the originals were around. They remade Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time for the 3DS and kept the story the same, yet all I've heard were good things about it. I'm not saying that there would be absolutely no differences or additions made to the remakes, but the overall main story would remain the same.

Mewtwo#150

Caught Them All
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2012
    Emerald was my favorite Pokemon game of all-time. Loved it.

The improvements from Ruby and Sapphire were great, and the Team Magma vs Team Aqua storyline was genius combining the two rivals culminating in Reyquaza saving the day.

To be honest, I think those games have aged the best out of all Pokemon games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I e-mailed Nintendo asking about future R/S remakes and I was obviously not expecting for them to answer my question saying something like "Yes they are being remade" they didn't but even though it's no confirmation they replied:

Thanks for writing. It's great to hear what you would like to see from us in the future, and I'm happy to document your comments and share them with other departments here at Nintendo.

I can certainly understand your enthusiasm for a remake of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, like you, there are plenty fans out there who would love to see these games remade. As I mentioned above, I'll be sure to document your interest in these games and share them with other departments here at Nintendo. Even then, please understand that I cannot guarantee that you'll see this titles remade.

Although it's nothing it's still relevant to this thread sort-of and thought I'd share because to me it's kinda cool :3.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Now you can't take Ruby and combine it with Emerald, the same way you can't fuse Goku and Gogeta. R/S/E are the first games to feature a big change in storylines, so it would make sense for Game Freak to handle these remakes differently than the others. That's why I think we would either get 1 remade Emerald or maybe all 3 Gen 3 titles remade to make everyone happy. But being the original 2 titles, Ruby and Sapphire are the best bets. But which of those choices GF would make is anyone's guess.

You can't say GF can't fuse R/S with E because it's absolutely possible, even more interesting. I don't want to remind again how it can be done because this thread has already too many things repeated too many times.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Posted this in the other "remake" thread but gunna post it here too to keep this thread alive...

Just found out the DS series consoles got a Price cut. The DSi is now $99.99 and the DSiXL is $129.99. The DSi is now the same price as the DS's price cut when the 3DS came out, the same price number that we received info that the DS was being discontinued a few months after it was lowered.

While the DSiXL may stay at 129.99 until the next console appears, this is a slow death to the DS consoles. When they start getting this low, they get discontinued.

This means that unless they plan to release a Ruby/Sapphire remake within the year or so, the remakes are going to be 3DS games. This could also mean we won't get them until next generation as to keep the Remakes on the same engine as the current Generation Games. Seeing as both B/W and B2W2 are both on DS engines, the remakes would have to wait until the 6th generation that would have 3DS graphics engine.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Posted this in the other "remake" thread but gunna post it here too to keep this thread alive...

Just found out the DS series consoles got a Price cut. The DSi is now $99.99 and the DSiXL is $129.99. The DSi is now the same price as the DS's price cut when the 3DS came out, the same price number that we received info that the DS was being discontinued a few months after it was lowered.

While the DSiXL may stay at 129.99 until the next console appears, this is a slow death to the DS consoles. When they start getting this low, they get discontinued.

This means that unless they plan to release a Ruby/Sapphire remake within the year or so, the remakes are going to be 3DS games. This could also mean we won't get them until next generation as to keep the Remakes on the same engine as the current Generation Games. Seeing as both B/W and B2W2 are both on DS engines, the remakes would have to wait until the 6th generation that would have 3DS graphics engine.

Within this year means during R/S 10th anniversary. After B2/W2 being released in June, it's another good reason to release R/S remakes on their 10th anniversary for DS. R/S remakes would be good to end DS era for Game Freak.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    Since we have gen II remakes then why not gen III?
    And I do not think GF will pass this chance to make some more moniezzzz

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Within this year means during R/S 10th anniversary. After B2/W2 being released in June, it's another good reason to release R/S remakes on their 10th anniversary for DS. R/S remakes would be good to end DS era for Game Freak.

I'm guessing what Xander is saying is that if we do not hear a thing after B2/W2 and the remakes do not pop up at the end of the year, a safe bet would be that they'll just arrive later in the next gen.

Just saying that because, at this moment, we have nothing 'official' to really work with.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I'm guessing what Xander is saying is that if we do not hear a thing after B2/W2 and the remakes do not pop up at the end of the year, a safe bet would be that they'll just arrive later in the next gen.

I know what Xander is saying, that's why I think remakes release on R/S 10th anniversary would be right thing to do because those games would be effective way of ending with DS + 10th anniversary is perfect time for releasing remakes.

Anyway, I doubt they will skip remakes in this generation. Game companies usually want to continue making games on the same engine as long as it makes sense. They spent money on producing 5 gen engine, so now they most likely want to earn as much as it's possible, using already produced engine.
    More of that, 5 gen engine's graphics of environment and soundfont's instruments would suit R/S remakes in almost every aspect.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I e-mailed Nintendo about an Emerald remake as well, this was their response:

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Hello,

[/FONT]
    Thank you for writing. As our resident PokéManiac, I can definitely understand why you would like to see the classic Pokémon Emerald remade for one of our newer systems. Unfortunately, a remake like this has not been announced at this time. More importantly, we do not have any information that tells us this game will or won't be announced, but I will pass along your comments to the departments which make those decisions.

We often hear from excited fans asking if a particular game is going to be announced. I don't want to dampen any excitement you feel about the game, but I want to make it clear that until Nintendo makes an official announcement of a particular game there is nothing we have to share about it—regardless of any rumors you may have heard or announcements from Nintendo subsidiaries elsewhere in the world.

If or when we do make an official announcement about any new Pokémon games, we will share all the exciting details on our website (www.nintendo.com). Until that happens, we appreciate your patience and ask that you continue checking the website.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Sincerely,

[/FONT]
    Alex Schuster
    Nintendo of America Inc.

so they are either toying with us or Game Freak is still in the planning process of the games, either way i doubt they will give a 'Yes' or 'No' answer, by the way, here is my e-mail to them:

--- Original Message ---

Received: 5/21/12 7:53:46 PM PDT
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: Webform: Game Related > Other

Dear Nintendo,

I am a long time Pokemon fan, from the series to the games. I have been a fan to the series since the first time I picked up Pokemon Yellow for the Game boy. My favorite Pokemon game is Pokemon Emerald, that game had a lot of firsts for me, the weather, the tricks on the bike, etc. I was wondering if there is any chance that we will be seeing a remake in the future? I would love it if this is true.

I know you all are busy people but i would really appreciate it if you replied to this, it would mean so much to me, i know you probably can't directly say 'Yes' or 'No', but can you reply the best way you can?

Thank you

Sincerely, A Pokemon Fan

blue

gucci
    Years
  • IMO, it will either be announced after B2W2's release (some time in July) then released November 2012 which will mark it's 10 year anniversary because there is still room and this happened with HGSS, it was announced in May and released in September giving them 4 months to serve out information & release the games which is the same gap from July to November. If not that then they will wait till around May 2013 to announce the games and again, release all the essentials lining up to the release around September 2013/Early 2014 for other countries. This is more likely as it's happened a couple of times in the past IIRC most recently with Platinum & HGSS, that's when Gen VI (Assuming it's in the works) will be announced for a September release in 2014 - That's just my opinion however.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    IMO, it will either be announced after B2W2's release (some time in July) then released November 2012 which will mark it's 10 year anniversary because there is still room and this happened with HGSS, it was announced in May and released in September giving them 4 months to serve out information & release the games which is the same gap from July to November. If not that then they will wait till around May 2013 to announce the games and again, release all the essentials lining up to the release around September 2013/Early 2014 for other countries. This is more likely as it's happened a couple of times in the past IIRC most recently with Platinum & HGSS, that's when Gen VI (Assuming it's in the works) will be announced for a September release in 2014 - That's just my opinion however.

That seems to early. That would mean that their new Main Game would be overshadowed by a remake. They'd lose money if they did that. They'd wait at least four or six months before they release info that they'll be releasing a game and then another 4 to actually release it. which would push it out of the ten year thing just for sales.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't think they'd announce it right after B2W2's Japanese release anyway, or even the international release. It detracts attention from the main event, and that wouldn't be fair for B2W2 now would it?

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Or maybe this time they are releasing two "third versions" instead of one, to cover potential loss of money caused by two close main games releases, assuming R/S remakes release in November.

They can announce R/S remakes in August/September. By this time B2/W2 will be selling well enough. Even if B2/W2 will get a bit overshadowed by R/S remakes info, people will still be buying them. They can also think of something that would convince people to buy B2/W2 and R/S remakes together, the same like they thought of new Kami Trio forms only for AR searcher owners.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Or maybe this time they are releasing two "third versions" instead of one, to cover potential loss of money caused by two close main games releases, assuming R/S remakes release in November.

They can announce R/S remakes in August/September. By this time B2/W2 will be selling well enough. Even if B2/W2 will get a bit overshadowed by R/S remakes info, people will still be buying them. They can also think of something that would convince people to buy B2/W2 and R/S remakes together, the same like they thought of new Kami Trio forms only for AR searcher owners.

Sale wise no it really wouldn't They would not make full sales of they released the games that close together. B2W2 would hurt the release sales of the remakes as there is already a new game out, no point in getting an updated game yet. Or Remakes could hurt the sales of B2W2, oh well there is another new game coming out, no point in getting this game, just wait a little longer for the one right around the corner.

They'd wait half a year to a year after the international release to get the optimal sale percentage they can get for their games. Anything else is shorting their own funds.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Having two close game releases is always better for sales than skipping remakes in this generation, like some people suggest.

FR/LG were released in US only one week before Emerald in Japan. Did it really badly affect FR/LG sales in US? Also, they started giving detailed info about B2/W2 only two months before release. The same could be done with R/S remakes - releasing B2/W2 outside Japan and at the same time starting giving info about R/S remakes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back