• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)

uZ1

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I have encountered some bugs so far:

- You can't use Escape Rope in the first puzzle on the Ruins of Alph. I tried to use Fly with PPS and the window just went blank. Nothing happend. After I left the room and re-entered the first puzzle room again, the wall opened immediately. Is this a bug?

- I didn't got the GS Ball though I beat the Elite Four. For some reason I had to re-enter the PokeCenter severel times until I've got the item.

- When you enter Mt. Moon the first time from Route 4, your rival instantly challenge you to battle. He is not visible in the overworld and the battle start normaly. I think I'm supposed to enter Mt. Moon the first time from Pewter City->Route 3. (Vanilla)

- Because you can enter Pewter City early from Route 4 and therefore Digda's Cave, you are inside the Snorlax when you leave Digda's Cave. (If Snorlax hasn't been challenged)

- The gras field on Route 12 doesn't let appear Pokemon. I walked about a minute without any Repel and I had no encounter.

By the way, nice hack.
    Hopefully you put our suggestions in your next version. (Running Shoes make the game faster and 251 Pokemon more fun)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I have encountered some bugs so far:

- You can't use Escape Rope in the first puzzle on the Ruins of Alph. I tried to use Fly with PPS and the window just went blank. Nothing happend. After I left the room and re-entered the first puzzle room again, the wall opened immediately. Is this a bug?

- I didn't got the GS Ball though I beat the Elite Four. For some reason I had to re-enter the PokeCenter severel times until I've got the item.

- When you enter Mt. Moon the first time from Route 4, your rival instantly challenge you to battle. He is not visible in the overworld and the battle start normaly. I think I'm supposed to enter Mt. Moon the first time from Pewter City->Route 3. (Vanilla)

- Because you can enter Pewter City early from Route 4 and therefore Digda's Cave, you are inside the Snorlax when you leave Digda's Cave. (If Snorlax hasn't been challenged)

- The gras field on Route 12 doesn't let appear Pokemon. I walked about a minute without any Repel and I had no encounter.

By the way, nice hack.
    Hopefully you put our suggestions in your next version. (Running Shoes make the game faster and 251 Pokemon more fun)

Thanks for reporting these bugs. I have fixed them all and will re;ease a new build next week.

But in regards to the escape rope, you can use it in the chamber but it only takes effect when re-entering. This was how it worked in the original crystal.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    UPDATE: 6/6/20
    -Pokemon now have unique sprites and palettes in the party menu.
    -Expanded the color range for overworld objects. For example Yellow/Pink/White apricorn and other NPCs such as Slowpoke will have unique colors.
    -Fixed a bug that turned your Rival invisible at Mt.Moon.
    -Players will no longer encounter a white screen when trying to use PIDGEOT WING indoors.
    -The player will now properly receive the GSBall at Goldenrod's pokecenter after defeating the E4.
    -Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres will now correctly appear after all 16 badges have been obtained.

Please re-download :)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Don't mind me asking, but do you have any plans to port the 60 frames per second feature that polished Crystal has? I think it would be really dope with all the newly added features you've already got going!

uZ1

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Thanks for the update.

There is one more bug I've found.
    After you fought the couple and speak to the left guy in the Viridian GYM, the game will crash.

Attachments

• Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)
      Bug.JPG
      84.3 KB · Views: 36
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    A little plug to my Reddit post about this hack, you can real my full thoughts there.

It was a very fast playthrough thanks to speedup and pretty much just playing this hack yesterday. I had fun, got a good team. I didn't encounter any bugs that haven't been encountered before. It was very smooth. I don't really have anything negative to say. I think for the features advertised, the stated goal of the hack, it fires on all cylinders.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I'm honestly just curious. For my own preferences, the only thing that seems to be missing from this is the PSS spilt. Is there anyone to add that on myself?

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    I'm honestly just curious. For my own preferences, the only thing that seems to be missing from this is the PSS spilt. Is there anyone to add that on myself?

The github is linked in the OP post, if you follow the instruction in the pret pokecrystal wiki you can add it yourself. There is a tutorial, it should not be hard to add PSS, though it will likely break balance. There are so many romhacks that add pss, I think having this in the form it's in is very refreshing.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    The github is linked in the OP post, if you follow the instruction in the pret pokecrystal wiki you can add it yourself. There is a tutorial, it should not be hard to add PSS, though it will likely break balance. There are so many romhacks that add pss, I think having this in the form it's in is very refreshing.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but assume for a second I have zero idea what you speak of. What's a 'pret pokecrystal wiki'? Where do I find that?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Not trying to sound like an ass, but assume for a second I have zero idea what you speak of. What's a 'pret pokecrystal wiki'? Where do I find that?

Use Google (or your search engine of preference) and find out.

-
    Flawless PSS system, thank you for such a refreshing experience of Johto!

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    When I try and use field moves from the menu (Flash and Fly), it doesn't work. I'm compiling from the disassembly, so maybe that's the issue?

Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021
    When I try and use field moves from the menu (Flash and Fly), it doesn't work. I'm compiling from the disassembly, so maybe that's the issue?

Cheers!

Very likely the case, I would use a clean rom of the game. I can't confirm since I don't use it but it's worth a try.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    This is great work, really enjoying it man. answered my own question here by just playing the game so I'll just say thanks for all this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    This looks neat. I just wish there was some kind of hard mode for it. I don't know if I can play another one of these enhancement hacks without the difficulty being raised. I really appreciate the good work regardless.

It looks like Hi Jump Kick, Leech Life and Growth have not been altered. Is this intentional?

Last edited:

uZ1

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I used Cygwin64 to compile myself and followed also the INSTALL.md. But the unique sprites in the party menu and the PPS is missing, what's wrong?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    This looks neat. I just wish there was some kind of hard mode for it. I don't know if I can play another one of these enhancement hacks without the difficulty being raised. I really appreciate the good work regardless.

It looks like Hi Jump Kick, Leech Life and Growth have not been altered. Is this intentional?

The reason Leech Life has not been altered is because there are not enough bug-type moves in gen2 to warrant it.
    As for Hi Jump Kick and Growth, I plan to update them at a later stage.

I used Cygwin64 to compile myself and followed also the INSTALL.md. But the unique sprites in the party menu and the PPS is missing, what's wrong?

Im not sure, did you download the new update?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Enjoying this hack so far (have 6 badges currently). I know you mentioned that some trainers' Pokemon levels were increased on the Kanto side of things. One thing I might suggest is to do the same for some trainers on the Johto side, specifically matching them with their levels in HeartGold/SoulSilver. For instance, in G/S/C, Falkner has a level 7 Pidgey and a level 9 Pidgeotto, whereas in HG/SS, he has a level 9 Pidgey and a level 13 Pidgeotto. Same with Bugsy: in G/S/C, his Metapod/Kakuna/Scyther are levels 14/14/16, but in HG/SS they're levels 15/15/17. There are some other trainers whose Pokemon's levels got tweaked some, but I think the Gym Leaders are the main standouts. But anyway, this is just a suggestion for a future update. I'd try to match all the HG/SS level increases where I could.

Last edited:
    Back