• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokemon Super Gold 97 (Complete)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Good evening.
    I'm beyond the second badge and the ferry cruise and already can tell... I got the same chills as when playing Pokemon for the first time (it was Silver in early 2000). I got hyped about the Space World thing, too - and gotta say all those revelations brought tear to my eye. And now I can can immerse in those early days of Pokemon as if I'm playing for the first time. Also, it made me think - all those rumors that G/S were meant to be the last Pokemon games ever, would mean this '97 would be all we would have. I wonder what made Nintendo start the thing anew and make it properly. I used to think that Gold and Silver were the first actual official release, with all the improvements made compared to Red and Blue. Or rather bugfixes, not improvements - vastly reduced glitchyness, balance issues (damn psychics!), AI, smoother and clearer graphic engine, no-longer-derpy sprites... I wonder what happened that GS was given another chance and Yellow was released to buy some time... But enough nostalgia!

I don't know what the beta consisted of, so I can't speak about how the plot, the characters, the pokemon, locations, etc. reflect the contents of the actual demo. I for now try to play it as a totally separate game. I try not to look up the movesets, locations, typings - I try to explore and find out myself, just like I did almost 20 years ago. I walk back and forth in locations I've yet to learn by heart, try to check every single tile of existence, talk to every NPC and generally figure out myself what's where. And I suggest it to everyone, instead of looking up everything beforehand and already having my team planned several badges ahead. I don't know what will be effective against what, when will I get me a Snorlax, where to look for that TM. I'm not into competitive battling, endless grinding, shiny hunting, IV (or was it DV) breeding and all that. Not to speak of popular demands: P/S split, gen V repels, gen VII pokemon... Why seek for gen II hacks then? What matters to me is the story, the journey. That's what I'm looking for in hacks.

Thank you, lvl_3, for allowing me to feel young and curious again.

There is one confusing bug in the game - I'm in Teku City, purposedly omitted the Pokemon Center to not meet the grandpa NPC talk, to see what happens if I try to look for the girl first. The last time I healed was in West City. In route 120 I used Teleport and... was sent to Teku City PC, even though I haven't visited it. Not sure if I'm speaking clearly, but should it be so? It shouldn't be possible to teleport over the ferry?
    There's a minor bug - the guy in Whitney's gym, when talked to, displays an empty text box briefly, then shows a new one with the regular text.
    A minor typo in Nutype cafe clerk's text. "NUYTPE"

Gonna play the heck out of this hack. Good job and I'll drop by in case I find some other things.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2023
    There is one confusing bug in the game - I'm in Teku City, purposedly omitted the Pokemon Center to not meet the grandpa NPC talk, to see what happens if I try to look for the girl first. The last time I healed was in West City. In route 120 I used Teleport and... was sent to Teku City PC, even though I haven't visited it. Not sure if I'm speaking clearly, but should it be so? It shouldn't be possible to teleport over the ferry?

This actually isn't necessarily a bug, but an unintended consequence of how the game chooses where to teleport to. The location that you get teleported to is dependent on two things - if a location has a spawn point assigned to it and if it has a warp point to an interior that uses the tileset "pokemoncenter". Entering a building with that tileset causes the game to check if the map you were last at has a spawn point tied to it, and if it does, that map gets assigned as the teleportation location. This works fine usually because the only map that uses that tileset is are pokemon centers.

Except I used that tileset for the interior of the Teku City gym as well. So if you go inside the gym, the game assigns Teku City as your teleportation point, even if you did not go in the pokemon center. So technically, yeah it shouldn't do that, but it doesn't really matter because you can't skip the ferry because you can't go in the gym unless you're already at the city. I'm actually surprised anyone noticed this happening.

itsdarsh

Contender
    Years
  • Nice hack. How much of the original spaceworld code did you go through while developing this hack, or is this more of a modified version of pokecrystal with spaceworld maps/sprites?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Final judgement!

Really had that feel G/S/C has, despite it being a wholly different game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Why dark type is weak against normal moves?
    In the space world prototype, dark types were originally planned to be weak against normal types. You can change to the traditional type weaknesses that the final version went with in the option menu.

Been playing through this hack the past few days and it's been pretty fun and refreshing. My only complaint so far is the gym battles are pretty lacking and with the case of the 4th gym, even easier. I'd add one or two pokemon to their teams and maybe raise their levels a few personally.

As for non balance things, is it possible you could restore the RTC reset? I've been playing this on a flashcart that doesn't have a real time clock, so being able to change the time and fix it would be nice.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2023
    In the space world prototype, dark types were originally planned to be weak against normal types. You can change to the traditional type weaknesses that the final version went with in the option menu.

Been playing through this hack the past few days and it's been pretty fun and refreshing. My only complaint so far is the gym battles are pretty lacking and with the case of the 4th gym, even easier. I'd add one or two pokemon to their teams and maybe raise their levels a few personally.

As for non balance things, is it possible you could restore the RTC reset? I've been playing this on a flashcart that doesn't have a real time clock, so being able to change the time and fix it would be nice.

Yeah, I've thought about making the game a bit tougher. I based the level curve almost exactly off the final G/S/C level curve, which I have been told by basically everyone that wasn't the best idea since the level curve in the final game is kinda weird.

As for the clock reset, it's still in the game. It works exactly as the final version of Crystal, which has a bit of a different clock reset method than G/S. Just make sure you find instructions online on how to do the reset specifically for Crystal and it will work, I did it all the time as I was working on the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2020
    Where is the Brightpowder item?

Can't anyone help? I've looked everywhere in the github folders and couldn't find an info about it. I thought the bird trio would be holding it since its a trade in exclusive from RBY but they weren't.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    As for the clock reset, it's still in the game. It works exactly as the final version of Crystal, which has a bit of a different clock reset method than G/S. Just make sure you find instructions online on how to do the reset specifically for Crystal and it will work, I did it all the time as I was working on the game.

Yes, but it requires figuring out and entering a password each time. A few other rom hacks removed the need for the password, as well as making the button combination to bring it up easier. It's not a huge deal, but it'd be a nice QoL thing to see added.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Can't anyone help? I've looked everywhere in the github folders and couldn't find an info about it. I thought the bird trio would be holding it since its a trade in exclusive from RBY but they weren't.

after greping in repo, there is no wild pokemon holds it, and also not pickable in game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

when I play with VBA, it always says that time is not set.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2023
    Where is the Brightpowder item?

It's now a hidden item in the room you find Zapdos in.

Yes, but it requires figuring out and entering a password each time. A few other rom hacks removed the need for the password, as well as making the button combination to bring it up easier. It's not a huge deal, but it'd be a nice QoL thing to see added.

Good idea, now time can be reset just by pressing down+b+select on the title screen

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2020
    It's now a hidden item in the room you find Zapdos in.

Good idea, now time can be reset just by pressing down+b+select on the title screen

Thank you!

I would also like to suggest you the creation of a discord room, it would be fun to talk about the game, i pretty much finished it already and i had a lot a fun.

Back