• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
  • WELCOME TO A NEW GENERATION

Starters poster.png

NEW: The Final version AND Legacy Mode is here!

This hack, Pokémon TCG Neo, is a near complete overhaul of the base game in terms of battling. Why? Because all the generation 1 cards in this game have been replaced with generation 2 cards, and everything has been balanced.

Featuring your favorites from Neo Genesis all the way to Skyridge, so many cards have been added and replaced that it's completely changed the way this game is played. Pokémon, attacks, abilities, even a few trainer cards- altered to create a completely new battling experience. If you're looking for a TCG hack with all-new cards, look no further and download the link below.

If you aren't looking for a new way to play the old TCG, see the instructions below.

Spoiler:

FEATURES

As previously stated, all the Pokémon and trainers in this game have been replaced by generation 2 cards from real life sets. This completes the real Johto Pokédex, with some Kanto Pokémon thrown into the mix. These card's attacks and abilities either reflect their real life counterparts, come close to it, or I ignored it for a better attack. The Trainer card edits followed similarly: I tried to change the sprites and names to generation 2 equivalents, with a special note that Super Energy Removal has been replaced by Master Ball. The ONLY card that is unedited is Super Energy Retrieval, and only because in the English TCG it is already a generation 2 card anyway.

Menuvarietyofpkmn.png

Everything in this game has been balanced. Cards that I thought were weak received buffs, and cards that I thought were too strong received nerfs. In general: Pokémon, especially evolved Pokémon, got more powerful, while trainer cards became less powerful. Games will now be more focused on the Pokémon and not the trainers, giving new strategies to pursue!

But, if you don't care for the new effects and balance and just want to play with official gen 2 cards on a rom simulator, we have you covered. This game also includes a Legacy Version, in which all the cards in the game are as close as possible to their real life counterparts! If you love coinflips, then this is the version for you!

Legacyposter.png

As 99.9% of the cards in this game are different, the dialogue, trades and text in the game have also been altered to reflect that difference. In particular, there are now only 7 promo cards and EVERY card in the game is obtainable, so deckbuild to your hearts content: no more Card Pop holding you back from key cards. Not to mention, the boosters that you get these cards in have been altered too!

Version2banner.png

In addition to the cards, you can also play it your way by playing as a boy or girl! There are two versions of this game, containing either Mark or Mint's spriteset and colors. Furthermore, I updated the portrait sprites myself, as seen above, so now they both look even better than before, ready to take on everyone in the trading card league!

Attacks examples.png

Speaking of trainers, every single NPC deck has been altered. Some even use completely different strategies, such as Steve, who is one of four character who had their portrait altered. The auto deck machines are likewise edited from the ground up, mostly just filled with ideas for fun decks that I had and the boss's decks. In addition to all of this, Ronald is re-battleable after beating him after the championship, and Imakuni now gives a rare card after beating him 2 and 4 times as opposed to 3 and 6 in the original game.

Banner2trainers.png

For the sake of convenience, the tutorial duel has been eliminated. I'm going to assume you all know how to play the card game; thereby letting you skip the tutorial and go straight into the fun. The dialogue for learning the game has been unaltered, so use that if you must.

Finally, because there has been some confusion over this, I want to clearly state what isn't a feature: the difficulty. This is not a difficulty hack, read the spoiler below for the reasons why.

Spoiler:

THE ART STYLE

Banner1 many pkmn.png

All of the new art in this game was done by me. I wanted to have a different feel from the base game, so instead of using mostly black and white + 2 colors, I tried to make each Pokémon as colorful as possible. This is my preference, so I'm sticking to it. If you want a poster of all the sprites, it can be viewed here https://www.deviantart.com/cataclyptic/art/Pokemon-TCG-Neo-Sprites-936162337 (Spoilers for in game cards).

DOWNLOAD

The Zip file is at the very end of this thread

Or, download it from my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7unhthpdxgt7dis/AABIxh0ulGovswxZjGyM8cd3a?dl=0

The downloads include the patches, a copy of LunarIPS, a Readme file, the version update history, and a document detailing every card in the game and how to obtain them- don't look if you don't want spoilers!

And, by popular demand, I have made the repository file public! You can see and download that here: https://github.com/RealCataclyptic/Pokemon-TCG-Neo

The pret file has been updated such that it can be understood by humans! Happy hacking!

Version history (See Full notes in the download section)
    - 1.0: Game release
    - 1.01: Fixed a bug where returning to the Hall of Honor only gave Ho-oh.
    - 1.02: Fixed a trade. Reverted Tailwind (Retreat Aide) to its original effect, as the new one was broken. Changed energy cost of Crystal Charizard.
    - 1.03: A spelling error and an attack name change.
    - 1.1: Huge balance changes, bug fixes, AI changes. Entei's Protective Flame now works.
    - 1.11: Entei1 now works properly, one typo fixed for Sudowoodo's energy cost.
    - 1.2 : Booster pack edits, sprite edits, Bug fixes, balance changes, sprite edits, deck edits, basically everything edits, see the version update history in download for more information.
    - 1.25: Title screen edit, bug fixes, balance changes, some sprite edits, typo and text edits, Readme edits, entire pret document cleaned up, new effects, new attacks, bug discoveries and exploit fixes.
    - 1.3 : New effects, new attacks, balance change, MORE POKEMON, LEGACY VERSION!
    - 1.31: Bug fixes

KNOWN BUGS AND GLITCHES

Bugsposter.png

I can't do anything about these, but all of them only minorly affect gameplay, so it's fine. If any of you know how to fix them or what's going on, feel free to comment below.

Spoiler:

F.A.Q.'S

Spoiler:

SPECIAL THANKS

Specialthanks.png

- Everyone who made the PokeTCG disassembly
    - Anon822, for major coding help
    - Lunos, for answering all my noob questions
    - MonopolyRubix, for helping me alter the booster packs
    - Snackerfork, for the female playable character inspiration as well as typo and dialogue corrections
    - Github, for making it so easy that even an idiot like me is able to use their site
    - Gotron, for helping with balance changes
    - Oats, for helping immensely with coding
    - Shaoden, for helping with coding
    - All of you who downloaded this hack!​

Attachments

• Pokemon TCG Neo V 1.32.zip
      2.1 MB · Views: 198
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Wow... the art is insane, I played the original a looong time ago, but I'm definitely going to give this a try. How long did it take you to finish this?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This is honestly amazing. I've been a huge fan of the TCG GBC spinoffs, and to der a 'dex replacement' hack of sorts makes me excited for a fresh playthtough. Thank you for this!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • When I saw this I knew I had to try it, and I haven't played someone else's rom hack in probably a decade.

It's a real breath of fresh air seeing all these Neo cards in a beloved spinoff title that I play religiously every 2 years or so (though lately ive been playing TCG2 instead since it has more cards), and it looks amazing.

Some suggestions, perhaps change up the pack art to match the Neo sets, Evolution -> Revelation or something along those lines. Look into adding Mint as a female counterpart to Mark.
    Also, I've not gotten too far yet, but are there any card pop exclusive cards?

Is your source public? I could see many awesome hacks coming out of this one for a true TCG3 experience. (some of us more techy hackers might be able to help with some of those bugs or issues you listed)

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • When I saw this I knew I had to try it, and I haven't played someone else's rom hack in probably a decade.

It's a real breath of fresh air seeing all these Neo cards in a beloved spinoff title that I play religiously every 2 years or so (though lately ive been playing TCG2 instead since it has more cards), and it looks amazing.

Some suggestions, perhaps change up the pack art to match the Neo sets, Evolution -> Revelation or something along those lines. Look into adding Mint as a female counterpart to Mark.
    Also, I've not gotten too far yet, but are there any card pop exclusive cards?

Is your source public? I could see many awesome hacks coming out of this one for a true TCG3 experience. (some of us more techy hackers might be able to help with some of those bugs or issues you listed)

I would LOVE to change the pack art... but I don't know how. That's one of the things in my wishlist, if you or anyone knows how to do so, please tell me and I'll get on it. Also not sure how to add Mint into the game too, that sort of programming is way beyond what I'm capable of. I'm mostly an artist, after all.

There are no Card Pop cards, I made sure of that. Every card in the game is 100% obtainable by yourself. And finally, my source code is not public. I may give it out, but considering how I basically just switched everything in the code around, the entire thing is going to be gibberish to anyone who doesn't have my notes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Although I haven't gotten around to playing the game yet, I just wanted to say that I love the artwork you made for these cards! They are so recognisable and give me nostalgia for the old cards 😊
    It must have been an incredible amount of work turning these cards into sprites and it absolutely payed off.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This was a lot of fun. It got me through a long plane ride.

For some reason whenever I beat the Grand Masters I only get the Ho-Oh card. Is this a bug or am I supposed to do something else to get the other cards?

I wish there was a way to up the difficulty or add more stuff to do but that's probably too difficult to change. I'm grateful this hack was made in any case.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • This was a lot of fun. It got me through a long plane ride.

For some reason whenever I beat the Grand Masters I only get the Ho-Oh card. Is this a bug or am I supposed to do something else to get the other cards?

I wish there was a way to up the difficulty or add more stuff to do but that's probably too difficult to change. I'm grateful this hack was made in any case.

That's odd actually. You are supposed to get all four. I just tested this and I got all four... is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I think I figured it out, despite the fact that my game doesn't share this glitch. Nevertheless, it should be fixed now in the latest patch.

But yeah, difficulty is beyond me. It requires manipulating the AI to be smart about playing cards, and I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Wow, this is phenomenal stuff! What's wild is I just started work on my very own first TCG romhack that is trying to accomplish something very similar to what you have done! 😂

I'm definitely giving this a look/try tonight (and probably on stream too if you don't mind). This will definitely give me tons of inspiration/motivation and don't be surprised if I end up resorting to picking your brain on this stuff if you ever have the time. 😅

Congrats on completing such an amazing project! I'm very much looking forward to playing it C':

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Wow, this is phenomenal stuff! What's wild is I just started work on my very own first TCG romhack that is trying to accomplish something very similar to what you have done! 😂

I'm definitely giving this a look/try tonight (and probably on stream too if you don't mind). This will definitely give me tons of inspiration/motivation and don't be surprised if I end up resorting to picking your brain on this stuff if you ever have the time. 😅

Congrats on completing such an amazing project! I'm very much looking forward to playing it C':

Ooh nice, good luck on your hack. Also yeah go ahead and stream if you want, the game is public now. Though you should probably use the latest version, which I just posted, as it corrects a minor but annoying postgame glitch. And sure, PM me if you have questions.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I hate to be a complainer but the crystal type power isn't working. I tried it with Celebi and the game says I can't change its type to anything but grass.

I know the original post says the ai can't use the power correctly but thought I'd say something since I see no mention of it being unusable for the player.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • I hate to be a complainer but the crystal type power isn't working. I tried it with Celebi and the game says I can't change its type to anything but grass.

I know the original post says the ai can't use the power correctly but thought I'd say something since I see no mention of it being unusable for the player.

Crystal Type is the same as Shift in the original game- you can only change it to a type which is the same as one on the field, excluding colorless. Tested this just now and Celebi was able to change into a fire and fighting type once one was out.

Years
  • Hey, I've been hoping for a TCG hack adding gen 2 cards for a long time, thanks so much for making this! I'm having a lot of fun with my triple energy deck featuring Lugia, Entei, and Dragonite. However I noticed Dragonite's tailwind ability gives everyone free retreat just by being in the deck. It doesn't even have to be in play or in the hand, its just straight up free retreat for everybody in any deck its put into!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I have a few Sneasel cards but yet the girl who wants to trade me her Entei won't give it to me unless there's another Sneasel card in the game I don't know about.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Hey, I've been hoping for a TCG hack adding gen 2 cards for a long time, thanks so much for making this! I'm having a lot of fun with my triple energy deck featuring Lugia, Entei, and Dragonite. However I noticed Dragonite's tailwind ability gives everyone free retreat just by being in the deck. It doesn't even have to be in play or in the hand, its just straight up free retreat for everybody in any deck its put into!

I tested this and I couldn't figure this one out, the ASM logic isn't very clear. It seems like messing with any part of the code breaks the game in some form or another. So, I just updated the game, it's ability is now the same as Retreat Aid from the original, reducing retreat cost by 1 instead of making it free.

I have a few Sneasel cards but yet the girl who wants to trade me her Entei won't give it to me unless there's another Sneasel card in the game I don't know about.

Sorry about that. Fixed one line of code, it now works in the latest patch.

bleedpark

Collector of Shiny Cardboard and Player of Hacks
    Years

Yo that deck sounds sick! Any chance of a list hook up? I had so many deck ideas from when I played competitive back when Neo Genesis dropped but the Macargo I played isn't in game nor the broken Feraligatr. I love me my toxic decks but I can't play them unfortunately :(

Back