• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    Oh it's okay. I'm about to unlock all the cards anyways, so I'll make a list my own. Thank you for all your hard work. Definitely will replay the game once the update is finished!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Wow, this is just what I was hoping for! After finally playing the original and the english-patch of the sequel this past year, I was hoping to finally play with my favorite set of pokemon, gen 2.Thank you so much for all your work on this hack. When gen 2 originally came out, I didnt have a chance to play the actual card game. Now I get to live out my younger-self's dream!

Days
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    This is an absolutely amazing hack! I've already been enjoying it so much, I've dreamt of this for years - it's such a natural extension of one of my favorite games. It's so nostalgic. The new pixel art is incredible, and the level of care and detail put into every aspect of the new cards is amazing. I'm so impressed and I can't wait to see it improved on.

Unfortunately, since I use she/her pronouns and the game uses gendered pronouns, the one flaw is that it isn't compatible with the existing "play as Mint" hack, released by USC here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/700/

Until now!

Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

As well as integrating the Mint sprites and default player name from USC's hack and fixing gendered pronouns as in that hack, the above screenshots show that some gendered dialogue has been modified for flavor! NPCs that referenced the character being a boy, such as saying "Beating you will be better than losing than to the girls!" or "Don't take me lightly because I'm a girl!" now reference that the player character is female instead. Because the edits are through a hex edit of a Pokemon TCG Neo ROM, all of Neo's other script changes are maintained as-is.

Download here!

Apply to an unmodified Pokemon TCG rom, NOT TCG Neo!

Hopefully, USC doesn't mind me using their hack for this. Cataclyptic, please feel free to use this however you want - linking to the post or posting it in the OP.

Attachments

• Pokemon TCG Neo Mint Condition.ips
      385.2 KB · Views: 2
    Days
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Apologies for the double post, but I think this calls for it...

So, recently, Pokemon TCG was added to NSO, with full online and local multiplayer support, including for the IR sensor. So, thanks to a combination of Yuzu and CaVE database manager...

The impossible is real.

Days
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    Hello.

Great Romhack @Cataplyctic.

I have found a minor text bug. When you receive Master Ball from CHallenge Cup, it displays as Mewtwo Lvl60. Here are the pictures.

If it is possible, I would like to know which tools where used to create this hack.

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • Hello.

Great Romhack @Cataplyctic.

I have found a minor text bug. When you receive Master Ball from CHallenge Cup, it displays as Mewtwo Lvl60. Here are the pictures.

If it is possible, I would like to know which tools where used to create this hack.

Yes, I am aware and have already fixed it. It will be fixed in the mythical version 1.2, which always seems to be one week away from completion. (It it seriously close this time, I swear).

As for your question, this was all done in the pret over on github, just find the code for PokeTCG and you'll see it. It uses Cygwin as the engine to process the source files into ASM text.

Apologies for the double post, but I think this calls for it...

So, recently, Pokemon TCG was added to NSO, with full online and local multiplayer support, including for the IR sensor. So, thanks to a combination of Yuzu and CaVE database manager...

View attachment 107129

The impossible is real.

Oh snap! I shouldn't have edited away all those card pop texts because I needed the free space and figured it was useless!

As for the playing as a female character bit, boy would I love to do that… unfortunately I suck at hacking, which will be (sadly) put on full display once I release the source code for version 1.2. I'll look at the download, but there is a 90% probability it won't be compatible with my hack because I replaced so much text and dialouge.

That being said… I might be able to use my own tricks to make a second copy of the game, wherein you play as a female character, and have that released alonside the male version. I'll look into it.

Days
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh snap! I shouldn't have edited away all those card pop texts because I needed the free space and figured it was useless!

As for the playing as a female character bit, boy would I love to do that… unfortunately I suck at hacking, which will be (sadly) put on full display once I release the source code for version 1.2. I'll look at the download, but there is a 90% probability it won't be compatible with my hack because I replaced so much text and dialouge.

That being said… I might be able to use my own tricks to make a second copy of the game, wherein you play as a female character, and have that released alonside the male version. I'll look into it.

Don't worry about the card pop texts haha, this is so unbelievably niche that it basically is useless unless you're like me (i.e. a lunatic.)

I think you're a little bit confused about the girl character thing ahaha. I'd suggest you look at the first post I made again - the link in the first post is to an IPS patch that already does this, intended in the same way as a second copy where you play as a female character. Unless you're saying my changes will be completely incompatible with 1.2, which would be very surprising to me, but if you don't have a girl version when 1.2 comes out I don't see any reason I couldn't make further adjustments.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Don't worry about the card pop texts haha, this is so unbelievably niche that it basically is useless unless you're like me (i.e. a lunatic.)

I think you're a little bit confused about the girl character thing ahaha. I'd suggest you look at the first post I made again - the link in the first post is to an IPS patch that already does this, intended in the same way as a second copy where you play as a female character. Unless you're saying my changes will be completely incompatible with 1.2, which would be very surprising to me, but if you don't have a girl version when 1.2 comes out I don't see any reason I couldn't make further adjustments.

Yes, I discovered what you meant once I downloaded the patch. Good job, by the way.

Would you mind telling me which palettes correspond to the player character in the pret file? And also can you give me the internal spritesheet for the female character you used? I can do all of this myself, but if you do it for me now, it'll save me some time for the 1.2 release. I already have / did everything else to make a "female character version" which will now be in 1.2.

Days
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yes, I discovered what you meant once I downloaded the patch. Good job, by the way.

Would you mind telling me which palettes correspond to the player character in the pret file? And also can you give me the internal spritesheet for the female character you used? I can do all of this myself, but if you do it for me now, it'll save me some time for the 1.2 release. I already have / did everything else to make a "female character version" which will now be in 1.2.

Oh, unfortunately those aspects aren't my work at all, so I can't help you with those. What I did was fuse the existing Mint character mod, which had already done that work, with the Neo hack by patching them together so that it had the Mint sprites but the Neo text. I believe I did the Mint patch to the base TCG rom, and then put the Neo patch over the resulting ROM. Then I manually hex edited the game's text (which is fortunately completely human readable!) to change the pronouns and give additional flavor to characters who talk about the protagonist as if she isn't a girl. I tried to adjust the sprites myself and it was headache-inducing, so this ended up being the best method.

The Mint character hack is by USC. According to the readme file, they can be reached at [email protected], so it might be worth shooting them an e-mail if you need that information.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Oh, unfortunately those aspects aren't my work at all, so I can't help you with those. What I did was fuse the existing Mint character mod, which had already done that work, with the Neo hack by patching them together so that it had the Mint sprites but the Neo text. I believe I did the Mint patch to the base TCG rom, and then put the Neo patch over the resulting ROM. Then I manually hex edited the game's text (which is fortunately completely human readable!) to change the pronouns and give additional flavor to characters who talk about the protagonist as if she isn't a girl. I tried to adjust the sprites myself and it was headache-inducing, so this ended up being the best method.

The Mint character hack is by USC. According to the readme file, they can be reached at [email protected], so it might be worth shooting them an e-mail if you need that information.

Got it. I'll just do it myself then.

Days
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    Just started playing this hack a few hours ago, and I love it so far. Thanks so much for all the work you put into making this possible. I love your adaptations of the card art, and it's so cool to play what was already a really fun game but with a completely fresh set of cards!

Are you a grass-type fan, by the way? I noticed someone else saying Celebi was very strong, and I've also found the buffed versions of Sunkern/Sunflora, Meganium and especially Bellossom to be really powerful. I don't even have a Gloom yet, but I'm still running Bellossom + breeder + traders + poke balls, because it's worth the jank just to get Bellossom on deck! 😅

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    @cataclyptic fantastic job friend. I've been waiting at least a dozen years for somebody to make a gen 2 tcg hack and you delivered! I had a blast 100%ing and can confirm 20 hrs playtime, no speedup, w/ 0 crashes. Here's to you & your hack inspiring others to get the tcg mod scene up & running.

Attachments

• Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)
      Screenshot_20230916-203054.png
      165.4 KB · Views: 170
      Screenshot_20230916-203136.png
      112.2 KB · Views: 171
      Screenshot_20230916-203232.png
      83.8 KB · Views: 172

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Thread bump for the FINAL, massive update of my hack! Thank you all for your support! And please don't get mad at me for my ultra confusing github files- I seriously suck at hacking, I basically did all of this with pure passion and determination alone!

Years
  • I just started last night
    I see can't steamroll the game with Celebi this time and I love it.
    Quilava and Steelix now have some mill capacities. Maybe I'm doing a stall deck this time =)
    Thank you so much for all the effort. This game has a lot of time, passion and dedication. I'll get back when I finish this playthrough.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This is the update that I have been waiting on! Congratulations on the release! The last version I played was the initial release which I found a bit too hard for my liking, especially early game. Pumped to play this, thank you!

Years
  • Just finished with this list:
    Spoiler:

The playthrough was so cool! Really the best Pokemon TCG hack rom experience I had (and I'll still test some other decks).
    I loved all the new sprites and the refined and balanced gameplay. It's such a blast to play! =)

Some notes:
    * Even drawing 6 cards Professor Elm is the best effect in the game.
    * 2 Celebi (Psychic) can stall many decks with a loop of Temporal. I don't know if that was intended.

EDIT:
    Another funny deck I made to beat the Elite4 the 2nd time:
    Spoiler:

3rd deck to beat the e4:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Just finished with this list:

The playthrough was so cool! Really the best Pokemon TCG hack rom experience I had (and I'll still test some other decks).
    I loved all the new sprites and the refined and balanced gameplay. It's such a blast to play! =)

Some notes:
    * Even drawing 6 cards Professor Elm is the best effect in the game.
    * 2 Celebi (Psychic) can stall many decks with a loop of Temporal. I don't know if that was intended.
    [/SPOILER]

Yeah unless somebody makes a supporter code, that's how it is. As for the Celebi thing, I did notice that during testing but let it be for now. If more people see it as a problem, I'll correct it one way or another.

Days
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Amazing to see the final update! I've been extremely excited about this and the changes already look incredible. Having official Mint support is wonderful, and I'm so happy to see all the additional polish with the changed graphics and updated cards.

I will say it was a little deflating to see that my dialogue changes weren't used for the Mint version, I really liked them, but it seems you're going for gender neutrality with the pronouns/dialogue - and I think that's the better move, if so. However, I think the new dialogue is a bit flat - changing "because I'm a girl" to "because of my hobby" just doesn't have as much flavor. I also noticed that there are typos - "thier" in Dr Mason's dialogue instead of "their."

So I wanted to offer to go over the dialogue, fix typos, and do some light spicing up of the new non-gendered dialogue. My changes wouldn't be as dramatic as the ones in my previous patch, since I want to keep the gender neutrality. Is that something you'd be interested in me doing for you?

Back