• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that should have a secondary/replacement type

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    the whole gen 5 electric eel family should be water/electric type it pisses me off so much! how do they levitate, really!

Are you saying that because they're aren't part Water, that it doesn't make sense that they can levitate? lol Because that doesn't make much sense to me. Electric/Water or whatever would have made sense, but I do like them better as pure Electric types, and the whole levitate ability. Makes for a more interesting Pokemon, in my opinion.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    All i can think of:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Are you saying that because they're aren't part Water, that it doesn't make sense that they can levitate? lol Because that doesn't make much sense to me. Electric/Water or whatever would have made sense, but I do like them better as pure Electric types, and the whole levitate ability. Makes for a more interesting Pokemon, in my opinion.

I agree; I never thought the pure-Electric+Levitate ability combination would be implemented any time soon. The major disappointment is that the only Water-type move Shibirudon can learn is Rain Dance. T_T

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I second Porygon; when I first saw it, I thought for sure it would have been a Psychic-type. I still think that the Porygon line would be a more appropriate Psychic-type than Normal.

Also, when I saw Mawile, I could have sworn it was part Ground. I feel like Mawile should be Steel/Ground instead of just pure Steel; I don't know why. Maybe it's because in RSE, they're found in a cave?

Also, I think Surskit should have just been pure Bug instead of Bug/Water. Never really understood what the point of it being pure Water was if it was going to evolve into a Bug/Flying type anyway.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Also, I think Surskit should have just been pure Bug instead of Bug/Water. Never really understood what the point of it being pure Water was if it was going to evolve into a Bug/Flying type anyway.

I agree that it's weird that it goes from Bug/Water to Bug/Flying, but the water typing makes sense to me. It's a pond skater, one of those bugs that can walk on water. They should have made Masquerain a water bug too in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I agree that it's weird that it goes from Bug/Water to Bug/Flying, but the water typing makes sense to me. It's a pond skater, one of those bugs that can walk on water. They should have made Masquerain a water bug too in my opinion.

You know what, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The type change after it evolves is kind of awkward, since Bug and Flying and completely different. XD But yeah, thinking about it now, as a water bug, Bug/Water typing makes sense.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    I thought Masquerain was a water bug until recently.

I always thought Stantler should be part Psychic; it looks it.

And why is Jynx Ice Psychic?

Waking_Dreamer

Dreamer King
    Years
    As said earlier definitely want to see how Charizard would be with Fire/Dragon.

I think its egg group is already Dragon/Monster which links to a lot of its dragon traits and drago- move compatabilities.

Just wondering though would fire/dragon make him more stronger than his current fire/flying typing?

Fire Dragon:
    Weaknesses - Ground/Rock/Dragon
    Resistances - Bug/Steel/Fire/Grass/Thunder.

Fire Flying
    :
    Weaknesses - Rock x4 /Water/Thunder
    Resistances - Fighting/Bug/Steel/Fire/Grass
    Immune - Ground

Hmm...Immunity to Earthquake and Resistances to figthing is quite nice but the Rock weaknesses x4 is just so sad.

On the otherhand resistances to Electric, neutrality to Water and only weakness 2xRock is better, but that leaves Charizard more vulnerable to 2xGround and 2xDragon.

Which typing is actually better?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Noctowl should be part Psychic as should Gorbysses (sp). Huntail should be part Dark. Milotic would also be a cool psychic type too. Ninetales + Psychic = Awesomeness
    Ledian being Bug/Fight would be pretty cool too. Cacnea so should have been part ground. (It should have also had Rough Skin as an ability but that's something for a different thread). Luxray & should have been part Dark.

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
    I always thought Steelix should be well...a solid steel type but, I guess since it spends most of its life underground and evolved from an onix it gets to keep that ground typing. I also thought that Mawile and Seviper should both be part dark types.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I've always thought that Bulbasaur should be a pure grass type. The poison suits its evolution line, but a first form starter shouldn't really be a dual type IMO.
    Gyarados... Water/Dragon would make much more sense, but Water/Flying makes him easier to fight, so no complaints there.
    Those gothic weirdo's should be Dark/Psychic. If not just pure dark.
    Seviper should be Poison/Dark.
    Serperior should have a secondary type... Not too sure about dragon, but something.
    Samurott should be Water/Fightning... Look at it!

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    If they ever create a Light type, Ampharos should become Electric/Light, and Lanturn would become Water/Light, not too sure about that one, but....
    Mawile should be Steel/Dark. It learns Bite, Crunch, and Faint attack, not sure about others, but I think that qualifies it to be part dark.
    The tepig line should have the 2nd and 3rd forms completely redone, and have them be part Ground.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    There should be more variety in dual-typings, at least when Normal is concerned. Obviously, Normal/Ghost is a game breaker (the only combination to even resist both Fighting and Ghost if I remember correctly) but something like Normal/Rock or Normal/Dark would be interesting to use due to the Fighting weakness.

Fighting/Flying would be weak to Electric, Ice, Flying, and Psychic; it would resist Grass, Fighting, and Dark, double-resist Bug, and be immune to Ground. Offensively, it would be resisted by Rotom's base and fan forms, as well as a few other electric or ghost-types.

One of the other good combinations is Ghost/Steel. Offensively, it is resisted by Steel-types but not much else. Defensively, it is weak to Fire and Ground, resistant to Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Rock, Dragon, and Steel, double-resistant to Bug, and immune to Normal, Fighting, and Poison.

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
    Psyduck and golduck, I always thought that it seemed more natural for it to be part psychic. I don't know why they didn't, would it be too strong if it was part psychic? Though they aren't that impressive as they are now. I mean part of what makes these pokemon what they are is that they use psychic powers, it's even in their pokedex entries.

Huh, I always thought Psyduck and Golduck were part psychic. Strange.

Pokemon that should have a secondary/replacement type

Jaroda as Grass/Dragon (and I don't care about the "starters can't be Dragon-type!" deal. If we can have a Steel-type starter, we can have a Dragon-type one as well!).
    I'm still bugged about that. I'd like to see every current dual-type combination fulfilled one day, and I really wonder how Game Freak is going to pull off an awesome-looking Grass/Dragon Pokemon that doesn't imitate Jaroda. :\

Eh, Serperior strikes me as a snake, not a dragon. A starter who's part dragon would inevitably overpower the others. :\

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I thought Masquerain was a water bug until recently.

I always thought Stantler should be part Psychic; it looks it.

And why is Jynx Ice Psychic?
    Jynx should be Ice/Ghost!! Or pure ghost!
    When I first saw it, I always thought it was a ghost!

what? Isn't Masquerain water bug? What is it then? o.0

Oh and Gardevoir looks like a ghost too, I thought it was ghost too...

Ayselipera

Jynx should be Ice/Ghost!! Or pure ghost!
    When I first saw it, I always thought it was a ghost!

what? Isn't Masquerain water bug? What is it then? o.0

Oh and Gardevoir looks like a ghost too, I thought it was ghost too...

Surskit is a bug/water type that evolves into Masquerain a bug/flying type.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Charizard - Fire/Dragon
    Serperior - Grass/Dragon
    Feraligatr - Water/Dragon

Don't tell me that "Having a Dragon type starter would make it too powerful!" because I say, just make the other 2 powerful. And the rest of the Pokémon powerful. =P

Luxray - Electric/Dark
    Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross - Electric/Water
    Gyarados - Water/Dragon
    Dragonite - Dragon
    Hoothoor, Noctowl - Flying/Psychic or Flying/Dark
    Togetic, Togekiss - Flying/Psychic
    Taillow, Swellow - Flying
    Golett, Golurk - Ghost/Steel

Last edited:
    Back