• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon - Wally Quest! (Version 1.1 - 15/04/23)

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    15/04/23: Version 1.1
    Pokemon - Wally Quest! (Version 1.1 - 15/04/23)
    General Changelog
    Spoiler:

Introduction
    Hello, this is my first ROMhack attempt, a simple, plot-centric game based on RHH's battle engine. The story is based on Emerald and ORAS, with additions into the main plotline, a new rival/antagonist, sidequests and post-game episodes. There is also a bit of a catch-them-all subtheme.
    Play as Wally, go out and explore Hoenn, make friends and save the world!

Plot
    This ROMhack is an alternate reality with Wally as the protagonist.
    • Longer pre-E4 plot up to lv85
    • Additional rival/antagonist
    • Delta and other post-game "episodes"
    • Additional side "quests", mostly to unlock other Pokemon
    • Various adjusted NPC dialogue, e.g. daily egg and berry givers, Professors

Some interpretations based on questions from the mainstream games:
    • What if Maxie and Archie had used the correct Orbs?
    • What did Wally's dad want to tell Wally after the 5th Gym?

Features
    • RHH's Battle-Engine features, such as physical/special split, Mega Evolution, Z-Moves etc
    • All Pokemon, movesets, TMs and Move Tutors up to Gen VII, up to and including Melmetal
    • More double battles. Gym Leader and E4 rematches, as well as some boss fights will be doubles
    • All Pokemon have "perfect IVs"
    • NPC opponents have EVs
    • Gym Guides offer "battles" for fast leveling
    • EV-training NPCs: Unlockable through side events
    • EVs used as Contest conditions
    • Ability changer in Devon after 5th badge
    • Soft level cap
    • Other various QoL improvements

Screenshots

Additional information
    The main Pokemon changes are regarding evolution. Was/am working on an alternate patch with type/stat/move/ability changes, but decided to keep it simple first.

This isn't a difficulty hack, but there are attempts to raise the difficulty like NPCs having EVs, soft level cap, some AI changes, specifically-setup battles

Tested on mGBA-0.9.3 and VBA-M only on Windows desktop, MyBoy on Android.

Patches are in UPS format.

Warnings
    This game has unkind re-interpretations of the antagonists (existing Pokemon characters).
    While I believe I've avoided sensitive content, some antagonists' dialogue are intended to irk/may be inappropriate to others
    Some creepypasta are referenced.
    The story is dark at times

Credits
    Spoiler:

Feedback appreciated (bugs, suggestions). Hope you find this enjoyable!

******EXISTING BUGS, PLEASE READ******
    Spoiler:

Download link
    Version 1.1

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2024
    Something to watch out for. In the Zinnia Battle at Mt Pyre, my Gallade somehow turned into a Magneton. I did have a Magneton, now Magnezone. Galade has been fully replaced with this Magneton.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Hello, just to prompt: Version 1.0.1 is out to fix some issues found.

Changelog
    Spoiler:

Please use v1.0.1 instead of v1.0. Download link
    Very sorry that there're bugs found so quickly after publishing. Will be more thorough in testing in the future. Thanks to those who played and reported bugs :)

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Congratulations on a full fledged release. I first saw this on reddit and got pretty hyped. Really happy to see Wally being shown some love, especially since i always found him more intriguing than May as a rival.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Something to watch out for. In the Zinnia Battle at Mt Pyre, my Gallade somehow turned into a Magneton. I did have a Magneton, now Magnezone. Galade has been fully replaced with this Magneton.

Hello, thanks for noting it, that's a problem I'm still struggling to fix. Will do my best to figure it out.

Congratulations on a full fledged release. I first saw this on reddit and got pretty hyped. Really happy to see Wally being shown some love, especially since i always found him more intriguing than May as a rival.

Thanks! Regrettably I'd failed to catch several bugs and issues, hope to solve them.

Can I beat the league?

Yes, are you facing any issues doing so?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2023
    Hey buddy, accidentally overwrote my save state so I can't get an easy picture of it but if you fly to Fortree and go left, the brown sign in-route is missing a carriage return/new line or somethin so it overwrites itself (I believe it's talking about mega evolutions?)

I was noticing I couldn't use my Sharpedonite to mega, same with Medichamite. Uncertain if this is because I already used a Z-Move or what. I had both the z-move/mega ring key items. Before I had the z-move item I could still use them just fine anyways, for example the Alolan Raichu Z-Item works just fine as soon as you can get it.

There are a few things missing text, for e.g. not being able to talk at all to the Team Magma grunts outside of the Safari Zone.

--

Really awesome where you put things to buy (like rock gems in the rock gym city), super cool to see things reasonably thematically obtainable and not just thrown into a random market somewhere, big fan of the project so far. Getting starters by doing small things like hatching eggs/friendship evos is a neat little feature, really cool ideas that you got in here & i can't wait to see how it progresses.

I'm uncertain if it's possible given I've never looked at gba code but could be kinda neat if safari zone was just a post-game thing with all non-legendaries possible and just have somewhat increased shiny rates, similar to how the friend safaris had shiny rates up (? or maybe it was IV rates), might be a huge PITA to get in there though + might also have ideas for it already. Cheers buddy love ur work !

--

EDIT: I was on v1.0.0 gonna just full restart because I goofed my own save state and if things like mega evos don't seem to be working on my end I'll make another post of where I'm at

Last edited:
    Years
  • A small oversight I've noticed so far, this dialogue will still pop up even after the story events in Meteor Falls conclude. It won't prevent you from going down, but it does consistently appear when you approach both sets of stairs.

McBeckon

Pokémaniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Hi, loving the hack so far! I was wondering if and how you can change Rotom's form?

Mark Yliherr

r u serious right neow
    Years
  • Hello, thanks for noting it, that's a problem I'm still struggling to fix. Will do my best to figure it out.

Thanks! Regrettably I'd failed to catch several bugs and issues, hope to solve them.

Yes, are you facing any issues doing so?

nah

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2024
    First off. Loving the game so far. Just wanted to come let you know something that I was sure was my fault but if I get back to it I'll test it again as I lost my save so I'm an hour away from it or so but.

I was in New Mauvile turning on the generator and decided to test the Groundium Z on my Aaron Bulldoze against a trubish. It all went ok until after the fight it froze during the gaining exp part. Like I said I will test again when I get back there.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Hey buddy, accidentally overwrote my save state so I can't get an easy picture of it but if you fly to Fortree and go left, the brown sign in-route is missing a carriage return/new line or somethin so it overwrites itself (I believe it's talking about mega evolutions?)

I was noticing I couldn't use my Sharpedonite to mega, same with Medichamite. Uncertain if this is because I already used a Z-Move or what. I had both the z-move/mega ring key items. Before I had the z-move item I could still use them just fine anyways, for example the Alolan Raichu Z-Item works just fine as soon as you can get it.

There are a few things missing text, for e.g. not being able to talk at all to the Team Magma grunts outside of the Safari Zone.

--

Really awesome where you put things to buy (like rock gems in the rock gym city), super cool to see things reasonably thematically obtainable and not just thrown into a random market somewhere, big fan of the project so far. Getting starters by doing small things like hatching eggs/friendship evos is a neat little feature, really cool ideas that you got in here & i can't wait to see how it progresses.

I'm uncertain if it's possible given I've never looked at gba code but could be kinda neat if safari zone was just a post-game thing with all non-legendaries possible and just have somewhat increased shiny rates, similar to how the friend safaris had shiny rates up (? or maybe it was IV rates), might be a huge PITA to get in there though + might also have ideas for it already. Cheers buddy love ur work !

--

EDIT: I was on v1.0.0 gonna just full restart because I goofed my own save state and if things like mega evos don't seem to be working on my end I'll make another post of where I'm at

Hi, thanks for playing! Found the sign and fixed it.
    I was unclear within the game, but Mega Evolution has been changed so that the Pokemon additionally requires maximum friendship (changes.txt), that may be why it's not appearing. Will change the dialogue in the future, thanks

Hi, does Budew evolve through happiness + day time?

Hi, ah an embarrassing mistake. It's been altered to evolve through happiness regardless of time (so day too), but I'd neglected to document it. Same goes for Riolu->Lucario, but not Chingling->Chimecho (only at night, another negligence).

A small oversight I've noticed so far, this dialogue will still pop up even after the story events in Meteor Falls conclude. It won't prevent you from going down, but it does consistently appear when you approach both sets of stairs.

Hi, thanks will fix it.

Hi, loving the hack so far! I was wondering if and how you can change Rotom's form?

Hi, there's an NPC at Lilycove Department Store 4F who sells appliances. If you have a Rotom in your party, you can buy a form change. Please note the current implementation is such that the first in party will be changed, and it's permanent (as you can get daily Rotoms from the generator).

First off. Loving the game so far. Just wanted to come let you know something that I was sure was my fault but if I get back to it I'll test it again as I lost my save so I'm an hour away from it or so but.

I was in New Mauvile turning on the generator and decided to test the Groundium Z on my Aaron Bulldoze against a trubish. It all went ok until after the fight it froze during the gaining exp part. Like I said I will test again when I get back there.

Hi sorry for your trouble. The good: discovered an embarassing but tame mistake where you can use Z-moves without the Z-Ring. The bad: unfortunately, I'm not able to replicate the freeze, sorry.

Thanks for the feedback all :)

Last edited:

nayan96

9~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2023
    Hi, thanks for playing! Found the sign and fixed it.
    I was unclear within the game, but Mega Evolution has been changed so that the Pokemon additionally requires maximum friendship (changes.txt), that may be why it's not appearing. Will change the dialogue in the future, thanks

Hi, ah an embarrassing mistake. It's been altered to evolve through happiness regardless of time (so day too), but I'd neglected to document it. Same goes for Riolu->Lucario, but not Chingling->Chimecho (only at night, another negligence).

Hi, thanks will fix it.

Hi, there's an NPC at Lilycove Department Store 4F who sells appliances. If you have a Rotom in your party, you can buy a form change. Please note the current implementation is such that the first in party will be changed, and it's permanent (as you can get daily Rotoms from the generator).

Hi sorry for your trouble. The good: discovered an embarassing but tame mistake where you can use Z-moves without the Z-Ring. The bad: unfortunately, I'm not able to replicate the freeze, sorry.

Thanks for the feedback all :)

Thank you for this! Love the game so far. Also, where can I find the Shiny Stone?

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Cute idea! I always liked Wally and it's always exciting to see a story-focused romhack based in the existing world of Pokemon. Will definitely be checking it out. Grats on the release!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2023
    I got to meteor falls and the rivals started battling the evil teams but now i cant find the professor

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023

how to revive rayquaza? I didn't experience it before, I started a new game in v1.0.1 and I stuck here

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Thank you for this! Love the game so far. Also, where can I find the Shiny Stone?

You'll find it in Granite Cave B1F

Cute idea! I always liked Wally and it's always exciting to see a story-focused romhack based in the existing world of Pokemon. Will definitely be checking it out. Grats on the release!

Thanks! :)

I got to meteor falls and the rivals started battling the evil teams but now i cant find the professor

Hi, the professor ran into the upper-left cave

how to revive rayquaza? I didn't experience it before, I started a new game in v1.0.1 and I stuck here

Hi to check, do you have at least two Pokemon with max friendship in your party? I'd completely forgot to provide a hint, apologies

How do I get the other starters besides the one that I picked from the Professors?

Hi, talk to them again to see their next request

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hi dev.
    I want to give you two suggestions for the pokemon (Stats/ Abilities) alternate patch.

Medicham
    Hp - 60
    Atk - 60
    Def - 75
    Sp.Atk - 60
    Sp.Def - 75
    Speed - 80 ---> 100
    Ability 1: Pure Power
    Ability 2 : Telepathy

Mega-Medicham
    Hp - 60 ---> 75
    Atk - 100 ---> 75
    Def - 85 ---> 90
    Sp.Atk - 80 ---> 70
    Sp.Def - 85 ---> 90
    Speed - 100 ---> 110
    Ability: Pure Power

Honchkrow
    Hp - 100 ---> 80
    Atk - 125
    Def - 52 ---> 62
    Sp.Atk - 105 ---> 71
    Sp.Def - 52 ---> 62
    Speed - 71 ---> 105
    Ability 1: Insomnia
    Ability 2: Super Luck
    Hidden Ability: Moxie

Those are the only changes that i have given the thought, hope it will help for reference.

Back