• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Worth Leveling?

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
Years
  • What pokemon do you think is worth leveling in HG?

At the moment on my game my party consists of...

Typhlosion - Lvl 55
    Ho-oh - Lvl 48
    Red Gyarados - Lvl 34
    Pinsir - Lvl 24
    Sudowoodo - Lvl 20

Also I have 2 Rare Candys that level up a single pokemon one level.

At the moment Im at the Pokemon League Elite 4. [First Time Round] Its really hard at the mo :/ I get to Lance kill his Gyarados then get killed by his Articuno.

Any ideas on what to level up and what not?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2015
    you should level up gyarados to atleast lvl 45, and try and teach it thunderbolt

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    Isn't the Red Gyarados a neutral nature? Or was that just my bad luck? x3 Either way, nature shouldn't amtter much in main game. But I do agree that the Gyarados is most worth leveling up. It can learn Dragon Dance at level 44, which is extremely useful. Though, it doesn't really have that great of a Special Attack...I'd just stick Ice Fang and Waterfall on it, not Thunderbolt.

If you still have trouble, catch other Pokemon. If you have time leveling, a Dragonite is amazing.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • Since when does Lance have an Articuno?

I digress, though. Your team definitely needs more balance. There's no reason your Pinsir and Sudowoodo should be so low, unless you just pulled them out of the PC. Sudowoodo was at level 20 at route 36, meaning you've done absolutely nothing in the way of training it since capture. As for Ho-Oh and Typhlosion, there is really no need for two fire-types, especially considering that Ho-Oh's susceptibility to electric attacks would get it smoked when Lance's Thunder Dragonite enters the field.

I'd recommend fitting your team with some better Pokemon. Swinub and Jinx are both great ice-type Pokemon available in the Ice Path, and they're both great for taking down Lance, especially with Swinub's final evolution, Mamoswine. You should also consider adding a better rock type than Sudowoodo, which is easy considering Onix and Graveler are both rather common on victory road. Plus, Onix can learn Dragonbreath, and combined with his great defense and moveset, He would be a healthy addition as well.

Don't forget about the free Dratini you got from the Dragon Master in Blackthorn City. As difficult as it is to level grind the Dratini family, it's completely worth it for how powerful it is.

Last edited:

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • Along with what everyone else said, I suggest getting an electric type. If you're in a tough spot, it will do nuetral to the Dragonites, and it would be super on everything else. I suggest Ampharos, (Cliche right? xD) Teach it Signal Beam, Thunderbolt, Discharge, and whatever else you want. That moveset is working wonders for me, but you can use what you like. Yu also need your team way leveled up. Get everything at least ~43 and you'll be ok. (Says the guy who took on the E4 with late 30's)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would actually suggest Miltank.

It is naturally bulky, has decent offense, and quite surprisingly speedy. This meant my lv.14 one can stand up to lv.20+ pokemon already. Going by that, hit lv.40 and it'll be holding it's own against Lance.

I can agree with Ampharos, that is a brilliant pokemon, provided you can get the right moves. Ice-types aren't particularly worth it afterwards, apart from against Erika, and being neutral against Hail.

I also have a final suggestion:

Lanturn.

It's got an immunity to Electric (with Volt Absorb), good resistance to Fire,Water,Ice,Flying,Steel, and can learn damaging attacks of Electric,Bug,Water and Ice types, giving you brilliant coverage. It's also really bulky, but still damaging. It only has 2 weaknesses, Grass and Ground, so whilst it's got more than Ampharos, that's not many

FerretFox41

OOH... SHINY...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    Ignore the part about teaching Gyarados Thunderbolt; Gyarados' base Special Attack is a measly 60, whilst its base Attack stat is 125.

I'd suggest raising your Red Gyarados to, as stated earlier, level 44, and give it Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Ice Fang, and whatever else you'd like (I taught mine Headbutt).

If you're willing to, you can go back to Route 44, and Headbutt for a Heracross. Its pretty common there, with a 30% appearance rate, and it's either level 21 or 22, meaning that it's already guaranteed to be stronger than your Sudowoodo.

In my first playthrough, I used a Lickilicky, and it worked surprisingly well. It has impressive bulk, and can use either attacking stat pretty well. You can catch a Lickitung in the Safari Zone, in the Mountain area, and from what I've seen, its pretty common.

Tangrowth is another option for a bulky Pokemon that can do damage. I'd give mine Sleep Powder and Tickle, and then it's your choice for attacking attacks.

Last edited:

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • Okay thanks. I think i'll keep Ho-oh and Typhlosion as Ho-oh's Fly does some good damage along with other moves. Unfortunately I didnt intend on using Gyarados on fighting so his moves are Whirlpool, Waterfall, Surf & Ice Fang.

Im going to throw away Sudowoodo and Pinsir as I dont use them and Im going to get Swinub, Onix, Jynx & Possibly Miltank or the Dratini you get from the dragon master.

Whats best move types to teach on these pokemon? Swinub - Ice, Onix - Rock, What'd be best for Jynx and Dratini? Also, anyone know where I can get a Jynx at a decent level?

Plus, I got 2 rare candies? Who you think I should use them on?

Thanks

GreenLanturn

Interior Crocodile Fraligatr
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    I also have a final suggestion:

Lanturn.

It's got an immunity to Electric (with Volt Absorb), good resistance to Fire,Water,Ice,Flying,Steel, and can learn damaging attacks of Electric,Bug,Water and Ice types, giving you brilliant coverage. It's also really bulky, but still damaging. It only has 2 weaknesses, Grass and Ground, so whilst it's got more than Ampharos, that's not many

could not agree more. Also i saw you had pinsir, Have you considered using scizor instead. he only has one weakness and can learn a wider variety of moves.plus he has many more resistances

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • I got my party Im leveling it now at the moment. I got Typhlosion, Ho-oh, Gyarados, Dratini, Swinub and Flaffy. Leveling them up from level 15 at the mo.

Anyone know what moves I should teach to my pokemon that can help kill Lance?

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • yeah my Swinub is gonna have 3 Ice moves, I dont know what his fourth will be. My Flaffy will go full Electric moves, most probably and my Dratini, I wouldnt know what moves to give it. Aint really ever used a Dratini in any of the games.

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • My Flaffy just evolved into Ampheros. Im going to get it to around level 40-45, then get my Swinub up then my Dratini.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Here's what I have on my Ampharos
    Charge (in case I ever have to hit anything non super effectively with discharge)
    Discharge
    Focus Blast
    Power Gem
    This moveset does pretty well, you can use charge to power up discharge in case you have to hit a dragonite with it. Your ampharos probably will not know Power Gem, because mine didn't learn it until sometime in Kanto. You could go with Signal Beam or Fire Punch until then.

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • Focus Blast, TM or does it learn that spell at a certain level?

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • Alright Thanks, Can you give me a little bit of thedescription so I know what TM it is? Or even the TM Number if you know it. Thanks

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Focus Blast
    TM 52
    It has 120 Power, 70 Accuracy, is Fighting type, and may lower the target's Sp. Def by one stage. I can't remember the exact description, but I think I've given enough info already.

Back