• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X and Y KILLED it in Japan..

Years
    I say good on them. Theoretically, it is a different base of players GTA is going for, as technically Pokemon is aimed specifically at kids.

However, My Little Pony is aimed at kids too. <3 ponies

The Doctor

What!?
    Years
    To who said that Pokemon was more anticipated than GTA V.

No it wasn't. Rockstar made their money back in Pre-orders alone, GTA V was the most anticipated game in history in my opinion, so many pre-orders. I love the game, it's the best game I've ever played on my Xbox.

Just because you're biased towards Pokemon, don't get me wrong, so am I, doesn't dictate from fact.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    ...Wow. Just wow. Could you possibly have been more hostile?

You realize that what you're saying is an opinion, right? As in, not a fact? You don't have to be so hostile to games from places other than Japan. You realize that other countries have made good games, right? Bioshock, Borderlands, Ratchet and Clank, Fallout, Arkham Asylum, and many other great games aren't Japanese.

Just because you prefer JRPGs doesn't make you some sort of superior life form.

It's his opinion, if anything, you're the one getting hostile about him sharing it. He said that he thinks that Japanese games are obviously better, he never stated it as fact, but he never stated it as opinion either. He's only stating what he believes, he never outright said that it is fact. If he did, then he would have said so, you can't just assume that he meant that it was fact...

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I think we have some people who think they know more about Japanese culture than they actually do.

For starters, Pokemon doesn't sell more in Japan because "they prefer Japanese products". That's false. Actually, Korean entertainment is VERY popular in Japan. The reason is that Japanese tend to stick with franchises and series they really like. This is why you see larger followings for anime, manga, and video game franchises there while you don't see interest in these in the west -- outside of niche communities. In the west, people are much more likely to "outgrow" things they enjoyed. A person who watched a lot of cartoons as a kid might turn around and say, "Nah, I don't watch that stuff anymore. That's kid stuff" when they start getting older. In Japan that's far less likely as they stay committed to their favorite things.

Then you have the difference in interest, in general. The reason why Japanese games almost never sell very well in the west is because only niche communities enjoy anime/manga, which Japanese video games are typically based off of whether it's directly from a specific franchise, or just the looks and feel of what you'd expect from an anime/manga. In the west there's more interest toward cinematic experiences of various kinds, not cartoons, and vice versa for Japan.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Let's... keep to the topic of the sales, please. No need for an argument to bubble over or anything over which culture is superior in entertainment or whatnot.

For interest of stats: as GTA was mentioned, a quick trip to Wikipedia has the following:
    The game was successful commercially; within 24 hours of release, Grand Theft Auto V generated more than $800 million in revenue, equating to approximately 11.21 million copies sold for Take Two,[118] exceeding the previous first-day sales record of $500 million set by Call of Duty: Black Ops II. The numbers nearly doubled analysts' expectations for the title.[119][120] Three days after the release, the game had surpassed $1 billion in sales, making it the fastest selling entertainment product in history.[121] This broke the previous record set by Call of Duty: Black Ops II, which took 15 days to surpass $1 billion in sales.[122][123]
    In the United Kingdom, Grand Theft Auto V became the fastest-selling game of all time, having sold over 2.25 million copies in five days. This broke the previous record set by Call of Duty: Black Ops, which sold 2 million copies over the same period. Grand Theft Auto V also broke the day one record by selling 1.57 million copies, generating £65 million.[124] In two weeks, Grand Theft Auto V sold over 2.6 million copies, generating £90 million, which accounted for 52% of games sold September 2013.[125]
    As for Pokemon? Well, still waiting on sales outside of Japan. Most that's available yet is that it sold over 4 million copies worldwide in two days.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    Ironically, when I picked up my Pokémon X and Y Pre-Orders in my local shop, on 10 October, loads of people were in the queues for Pokémon Y.
    Not for Pokémon X, because that one was sold out before I even came there.
    Because I Pre-Ordered, I could simply skip the queues.

The fun fact was, most of the people in the queues were female, and of a mature age.
    Every time I see a shop during a GTA or COD Launch, they're all underaged boys, mostly with a parent.

Reactions: Sun
    Back