• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokePod/Phone/Pad

piecemeal

On An Adventure
    Years
    Would anyone use an iPhone/Pod/Pad app for collecting TCG? If so, what would you care to be able to do with it?

I thought of developing one for my own use, with collector-oriented features, such as defining the scope of a collection, marking cards owned/not owned, condition, etc., rather than player-oriented features. But if Pokepedia would play along then getting the player features in wouldn't be that big a deal. I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    That sounds like a cool idea, actually. I don't collect the cards anymore, sadly, so I wouldn't use it.

Years
    It would come in handy for me, but I don't own an iPod/iPad/iPhone, so I wouldn't be able to use it.

Presently I just use an Access database to keep track of my cards, and that's only got a fraction of my collection in it at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I would use that, though I'm not sure what you could use it for as a player. For playing, I can only really see myself using something like a card search engine, like bebessearch.com, but you don't really need an app to use that, just the internet. It's not really plausible to have an app that puts data containing information for every card onto your ipod, you would never have enough memory for it, so you may as well use the internet. The only other thing I could think of would be to have the rules and rulings available when playing, but again, that is way too much data to be loading onto your ipod.

As a collector, I think the most useful thing I could have is an up-to-date card value app that I can refer to when needed. There would have to be some kind of universal price guide that the app could refer to, which doesn't exist at the moment. But if there was, it would come in handy for me all the time and you'd always know if a trade or sale was fair.

piecemeal

On An Adventure
    Years
    Thanks for the thoughts. Some good points there. I'd have to differentiate it somehow in order for it to be useful. Access/Excel is a good and widely-used solution but it does have some limitations. Whatever I would make would probably not be designed to replace that, but to complement it. To complement it, it would have to sync back to it. Look at and edit your collection on the go. Share it with others? I'm rambling. Anyway.

Rocket, I wonder if there a few sources that a pricing app could query for recent market prices and report them to the app. If I recall the market is pretty thin for most cards but I remember using Google shopping and EBay to suss out a reasonable quote. So the only advantage of the app then is that it aggregates quotes from various sources. Which isn't small if you're shopping a lot. I feel that I probably will develop something at some point.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    The best method right now to determine current card values is to search the card in ebay completed listings, then average the sales (as long as they are reasonably recent). Active listings can be way off, only the completed ones show what people are actually paying for them.

Back