• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokerus VS Shiny Pokemon

Which encounter has been more common/easier for you?

• Shiny Pokemon!

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Pokemon with PKRS!

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Even!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I never encountered any of either!

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    IIRC, technically Pokerus is easier to get. however, i've only got it once, while I have found 2 shiny Pokemon (excluding shinies like the Red Gyardos).

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I have got pokerus about 5 times.

I got a shiny 2 times.

I suck with shines. :/

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I've had a much easier time finding shiny Pokemon than finding Pokerus.
    I only ever got Pokerus once, in Pokemon Crystal. I had no idea what it was, and the guide I had at the time didn't even mention it, so I was afraid my Pokemon were going to die or something. ;-; I didn't find out what it was until a few years later, by using the magic of the interwebs.

I've found a few shiny Pokemon (not counting the Red Gyarados): Golbat in Crystal, Gloom and Tangela in Soul Silver, and Bibarel in Platinum. ^^

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I have encountered three shinies in the wild throughout the years. I have never gotten PKRS except for in trades.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    For me, shinies are way easier. Across my playthroughs, I've encountered wild Shiny Golbat, Surskit, Fearow, Luvdisc, and most recently a Whismur. I encountered a Shiny Charmeleon from the Battle Factory Pokemon selections, and I encountered an opposing Shiny Kingdra in a Battle Tower challenge.

I had to trade a Pokerus-infected Pokemon from someone else's copy of Ruby Version to obtain the Pokerus status. I've never come across the Pokerus in my own personal playthrough of Pokemon games... A bit annoying, and I have to check whether I still have a boxed Pokemon with Pokerus somewhere...

Mirage Island is a whole 'nother story. -.-

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I have seen many shiny pokemon, including
    Diglett
    Dugtrio
    Pidgey
    Tentacruel (Twice in the same area on two seperate Emerald saves. I'm not sure what happened.)
    Bronzor

As for Pokerus... I have yet to find it. :(

Years
    OMG!!! I remember back in Platinum I had an lv. 74 Alakazam and then in the Resort Area it got Pokerus! I has so happy when Nurse Joy told me that :D

Shiny Pokemon:
    Diglett (Leafgreen)
    Cyndaquil (Crystal)
    Staravia (Platinum)
    Tentacruel (Diamond)
    Shinx (Diamond)
    Rayquaza (Emerald, hunted for, but ran out of Ultra ball, used Master Ball :()

Last edited:

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Thanks. :( Now I know I have incredibly poor luck.
    I've only met one shiny--a shiny Graveler. My other shiny--an Eevee--was from a trade (I shouldn't say other per se, as I think traded my Graveler and several other things for a Mew).
    Pokerus I've gotten twice, but both were from trades. I guess the random number generator is not in my favor. xD

Rosebud2

My Pokemon is Fight!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2012
    I've had a much easier time finding shiny Pokemon than finding Pokerus.

I've found a few shiny Pokemon (not counting the Red Gyarados): Golbat in Crystal, Gloom and Tangela in Soul Silver, and Bibarel in Platinum. ^^

If I encountered a shiny Bibarel I would kill someone.

I've never gotten Pokerus, but I've found one shiny- Psyduck in Platinum.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay so when I posted I didn't know but in irc they discussed how to check if your Pokemon has had PokeRus and apparently 4 or so of my Pokemon in HG have had PokeRus and I didn't notice, so imma say PokeRus is more common then? XD;

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    I've never caught a shiny, mine are traded from someone else.

I've been traded pokemon with pkrs thats been cured but have never caught it myself in game

Years
    I think a shiney pokemon is easier to catch than pokerus because (in D/P) you can catch shineys pokemon without difficulties with the pokeradar,even if it's long to do.
    I've more than 20 shineys and I had pokerus only twice (and that was in the old pokemon gold generation and not in the news generations =.= )

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    in my opinion shiny pokemon are easier to find. i have never caught a pokemon with pokerus or had my pokemon get it. the only way i got it was from trades., i have found 4 shiny pokemon in all of my games
    one was a bronzor i breed
    one was a farfetched that fled in the safari zone
    one was a pidgey i caught in fire red
    and one was a pokemon in black that i cant remember the name of

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I haven't legitimately found either PKRS or a shiny 'mon in-game. Do I just not play enough or...? :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I prefer shinies over Pokerus pokemon. I have NEVER encountered or caught a pokemon with Pokerus but have encountered...five shinies, catching two. (one shiny I caught, my game save system screwed up, other used roar and teleport) I have had Poekrus after my brother gave me an infected pokemon via trading.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    Excluding shiny event pokemon and the infamous Red Gyarados, I've captured only a handful of shinies, those including:

A shiny caterpie way back when I first played Gold verision (My first ever random shiny)
    A shiny wingull in Emerald
    A shiny Pelippier and a shiny Geodude in Diamond.

No shinies in Platinum, thus far. However, I do have Pokerus in that game. And I have about 5 pokemon in my PC with active (not cured) pokerus, so I can keep infecting others.

Back