• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeworld (MMOG) Needs Help.

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    More sprites, waiting to see professor

First im waiting to see how the professor looks like, probaly like all the others...
    Second i have volkner clothes back sprites for layering enabling customization
    i cant do the hair though
    Theik may be able do it i suppose, even if it isnt perfect, mines sucks

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Wow stuff happened. I had to volunteered at a Lego Robotics Tournament for 4th - 8th graders. So I've been gone all day.

Darkraza I think I replied but it didnt post for whatever reason.

I think separating the hair from the base sprite is the best option. It reduces file size, as you don't need to have so many base sprites. It enables long hair to dangle over top of clothing, and allows software color changes to hair, without a special shader.

I can't wait to see the Prof.

I'll do some more patching on Pokeworld tonight.

FrozenMaster757

Stone And Glacier creator
    Years
  • Figure I'd let you know that I'm not great at humans, but he turned better than I expected. Should I put any Pokemon in the picture, because I added some Pokeballs on the ground. I could put a Pokemon he owns in, or a starter. I'd need a picture, but I could have it done.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Naw I think just him will be Ok, I'll probably turn him into a sprite for the intro too. As well as use him as a base for the overworld.

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010

Darkraza I think I replied but it didnt post for whatever reason.
    yeah, that happens...

I think separating the hair from the base sprite is the best option. It reduces file size, as you don't need to have so many base sprites. It enables long hair to dangle over top of clothing, and allows software color changes to hair, without a special shader.
    that makes sense, i sent the hair sprites anyways, so no need to worry about that

I'll do some more patching on Pokeworld tonight.
    Good Luck with the patching, you do seem to have enough experience to make it work prefectly

Comments in bold
    And i may update this post later with more sprites

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Last day of Winter break =(, Which means I'll have less time in a day to work on this.

I think I've removed all of the bugs from the last test. It runs pretty nifty now. I want to add something new before another release. Tomorrow at school I will be working on the editor. (I have a computer science period)

I tried really hard to make a battle background today. It didnt turn out quite how I invisioned it. I wonder why I can see in my head exactly how it looks but can't render it to photoshop, frustrating. So I'm moving onto attempting to get some battle transitions in the game.

But if anyone wanted to make a battlescreen for a grassy area...

its 512x256 big the circles which pokemon battle on should be seperate. And there should be some sort of scenery that can move by the front of the battlescreen at the beginning. In the mean time I will continue writing the music wrapper to get some sound in the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hi, thought I'd make a post.

January is the busiest time of year for me. I'm in the top 25 or so highschool clarinetists in the state of Ohio. In January it seems all musical events converge. Last weekend I had Ohio University Honor Band, this weekend is All State Band, then Solo and ensemble next weekend, and finally District Honor Band the week after that. With exams piled all on top >.< So I whole heatedly appologize for the lack of updates.

I've started updates to the editor to get it ready for use. With updates to the editor come some map formating changes to allow for Day / Night and animated tiles and objects. So that will be out of the way for mappers.

Sound is a puzzle right now. I want to use Midi sounds because they are lightweight and sound ok for pokemon music. As I am discovering theres no real great support for song control. So i'm in the process of getting things in tip top shape to play background music.

Along with map updates I'm thinking about how to define areas within the game, so the world map and overworld line up. As well as area music and those titles that pop down when you enter a new area.

When I finish updates with the editor I'll be sure to post some screenies!

~Tocs

Waudby

January is the busiest time of year for me. I'm in the top 25 or so highschool clarinetists in the state of Ohio. In January it seems all musical events converge. Last weekend I had Ohio University Honor Band, this weekend is All State Band, then Solo and ensemble next weekend, and finally District Honor Band the week after that. With exams piled all on top >.< So I whole heatedly appologize for the lack of updates.

I've started updates to the editor to get it ready for use. With updates to the editor come some map formating changes to allow for Day / Night and animated tiles and objects. So that will be out of the way for mappers.

Sound is a puzzle right now. I want to use Midi sounds because they are lightweight and sound ok for pokemon music. As I am discovering theres no real great support for song control. So i'm in the process of getting things in tip top shape to play background music.

Along with map updates I'm thinking about how to define areas within the game, so the world map and overworld line up. As well as area music and those titles that pop down when you enter a new area.

When I finish updates with the editor I'll be sure to post some screenies!

~Tocs

Instead of using Midi format you should try and use some sound modules, like .it modules, they allow for better looping and a VERY lightweight.

They're what I use in Pokémon Odyssey and they don't impact too much on load times or file sizes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hmm so you have music files in .it format? Because at first I thought that would be hard to impliment, but, I found my old audio library for another project, which supports C#, has .it capabilities. As well as normal .wav's and .ogg's (My prefered format). This is good news, could you... Post some of these sounds, I'm going to check the resource thread however.

Waudby

Well I would post them but they are for Pokémon Odyssey, but I used ModPlug to recreate the right loops and save them to .it format, I could also use .ogg if I wanted.

I think for video games this is the best way to go about sounds.

.wav's are good for sound effects as they aren't very big files and aren't continuously played.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Oh, so I can convert .mid's to .it's with ModPlug, ok that will work.

ModPlug Tracker (OpenMPT) isnt playing any sound when I hit play...

Halp! It's set to use my primary sound device...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Double post to revive...

Hey, despite being busy I got some nice work in on the editor. With the exception of saving your work (Thats just a small bit of code) I've finished the upgraded Object Set Editor. An object set is a file that contains info for things that are in the map that sit on terrain, such as a tree, a building, or grass. The new editor has support for animated objects such as flowers swaying in the wind. As well as for "Step on" animations that play and hold the last frame so grass animates when you step on it. It also has a "Night Overlay" which is a separate layer that is not shaded by the night and only displayed during the night time. So the night layer has things like windows lit up in the night and street lights that are turned on. I put some work into it to make it easy to use and most importantly not crash while your working on something 0_o.

I'm pushing to get the tools and upgraded map system done so I can get it overwith and not have to worry about it later. It also ties in with map meta tags for music and location names.

Here's some pics!

Here is a building object during the day

ObjectSetEditorDay.png

The same building object with night toggled on, see the night layer? *My Darkness Overlay seems to be off, I'll be toying with the colors....*

ObjectSetEditorNight.png

You probably saw "Set Base Slice" and Set Night Slice"... "Slices" are cutouts of a sprite sheet. This tool lets you slice an image up. The blue rectangle was one I was in the process of stretching. When selecting a portion of an image. It automatically closes in on the object getting rid of any excess transparent pixels. Making it quick to slice up an entire sheet. Before you save a Object Set, it lets you compact slices onto a new spritesheet so it uses as little space as possible.

ImageSlicer.png

Well thats what I had time for in the past couple days, I'm gonna move onto revamping the map editor so its not so... frustrating! Then after that I will only have the Character Sprite / Clothing Editor to make. Possibly a BG music packer tool and it will be ready for use.

The final editor should include, for those of you interested in helping.

An Item Editor, with built in Lua Scripting.
    An Object Set Editor
    A Tile Set Editor
    A Map Editor *No NPC support*
    A Pokemon Editor
    A Music Loop Packer

Looking forward to getting this up for you guys.

~Tocs

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Well like I said earlier January is really busy for me, so not much work on the battlesystem. It's pretty solidified except for status ailments, scripted attacks, and battle rewards (Exp, EVs) which are the next priority after the maps.

I decided to update the map system so that I could get the features out of the way. If we used the old map system and then switched to the new one it would be alot more work, so before I turn the editor loose on PyroYahtzee the mapper I want everything to be set so he doesnt have to go back and animate tiles and make lights come on at night. Thats a whole lot more work than just doing it the first time.

The editor I hope to be done within 1-2 weeks depending on my freetime. I have a big solo coming up this weekend that I gotta play (Solo De Concours by Messager look it up =P) So I need to practise for it, but you can only practise so long before your mouth feels like rubber... so I'll be working inbetween practise.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    About 3 hours non stop...

More on topic...

I started on the map editor upgrades today at school, its lookin spiffy will post pics when finished.

Back