• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Positive effects of bullying?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Everyone gets bullied, name called, or something else sometime in their life.

Do you think there are any positive effects that come out of being bullied? Do you think going through being bullied makes you a stronger, better person? Is being bullied really all bad? That's not to say it isn't bad at all, but there's always something on the other side of something bad that really weighs it out. Does this apply to bullying and name calling?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    there's too much to consider here to confidently say. it all depends on how a person handles their emotions, and other sources influencing their emotions outside of the bullying. i've seen people who have a past with being rejected by society become well-rounded and humble folks, and i've seen others who've undergone the same resort to some really destructive behavior. but it does seem that facing struggle can make for a wiser and more experienced person.

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
    lol. o_o

Bullying is a bad thing, it makes people feel like crap, it makes people commit suicide. Nobody should have to go through it and we shouldn't try to justify it or even speculate that it has good end results. Instead we should be working on weeding it out, not putting it into peoples heads that it will make the victim stronger in the end.

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
    Depends on your personality. I've been bold ever since I was born, so the moment I got bullied I didn't play it. The guy was bigger than me, and I was faster than him. Simply put, he pushed me in front of lot of people, I knocked all the blood out of his nose in the same instant.

I think it helps you man up. However, no one and I mean NO ONE should have to go through bullying. Unless you're a spoiled brat who bullies others.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Absolutely not.

If you think bullying has positive effects, you must not of heard of all the people who are traumatized for life and even commit suicide.

For me personally, it just makes me hate people like them more.

So no, you're not looking at the full picture if that's what you think.

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    Do you think there are any positive effects that come out of being bullied?
    There can be, but that doesn't mean there always is. Like others have said, it can depend on the person, but with anyone, there's a point where bullying is taken too far.

Do you think going through being bullied makes you a stronger, better person?
    Again, it can, there are many stories out there of people who have grown because they were bullied. But really, this outcome isn't a majority; bullying hurts more than it helps, by far.

Is being bullied really all bad?
    Pretty much. I mean, some things are rather harmless, and there's always a reason for why a person becomes a bully, but that's no excuse.

Does this apply to bullying and name calling?
    Name calling is a form of bullying, and while I think it was more harmless in the past, it has gotten much worse over time. So yeah... not a good thing. Benefits? Perhaps a few, none that outweigh the bad though.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Depends on the individual, depends on the type of bullying, depends on the bully. Really it's too hard to just say, "yes bullying is bad" or "yes it makes you stronger."

I believe that is bad, and it doesn't really make you stronger. Whether you learn to protect yourself in a fight, or to ignore insults or whatever, deep down you will be scarred. It could lead to phobias, or suicidal tendencies as mentioned.

Bullying should be eradicated seriously, or dealt with extremely harshly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It's true that bullying makes the one who's doing it feel more confident, but it also makes the victim lose their confidence at the same time. In short, nothing good comes out of bullying.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Do you think there are any positive effects that come out of being bullied?
    Well, it depends, usually. Some people do claim that it changed them as a person, but the majority of people are negatively affected.

Do you think going through being bullied makes you a stronger, better person?
    From my own personal experience, bullying changed my entire personality. Last year during an art class that I had every day, I was severely verbally bullied for over 6 months.

I became depressed and thought about suicide several times but I eventually told my parents that some kids in school were picking on me and they called the school.

The school talked to the kids and they claimed that they didn't do anything and that they only knew me as the 'kid who never talks and has no friends and sits in the corner of the art room'.
    The school believed them and the bullying slightly died down, only one of the 5 kids came up to my face and apologized.

I ended up begging my parents to let me switch schools and I got accepted into a magnet school.

I would have to say that overall, this weighed out even.
    I won't dare to ever bully anyone and I have a much different perspective on the world now.

I've always been a quiet kid.I do have to say that bullying has screwed up my life, because now I still don't know how to make friends and I barely ever talk.
    It made me so socially awkward because I would never speak up. Ever.
    In my new school, there is very little bullying at all so I've been a bit better.

But with the new group of kids I hang out with, I just can't connect.
    I feel so distant and barely get a word in, even when they keep telling me to speak up. I never know what to say.
    I feel like a board that has absolutely no personality at all.
    ;_; Bullying is hard to go through but it's made me a better person... Sort of... I think much differently now.

Is being bullied really all bad?
    Yes. Bullying is terrible but everyone needs to be bullied a bit in order to get their eyes open.
    I would never say this for physical bullying.
    That should never happen and no good comes out of it. Just more hate.

I'm just extremely upset when people bully others who haven't done anything to them at all.

Sorry for the long-ish post but it's good for people to tell about their own experiences. =/ Because bullying does have different affects on everyone but it is just so negative.

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
    This may sound so strange, but bullying actually helped me. I'm average size (not under or over weight and height). 5'10" give or take, so you can tell I wasn't all that big in grade school.

And I used to kick ass. I'd take every opportunity to jump in and help any visible bullying and get my tail handed to me by a group of older kids. As time went on, people started noticing how resilient I was, and as I became a better fighter, the bullies died down. After a while, people would bully anyone if I was near, and I wasn't that big.

Simply put, it all depends on your personality. I'm confrontational, big time. Even to this day I do the same exact thing. Bullies are *******s; if you want to get rid of them, beat their face in. However, my logic only works for people with my logic =/

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    There are positive sides to almost anything you can do, and bullying is no different. People will look down on you no matter who you are and it's something everyone should learn to accept and overcome at a young age. That being said, everyone reacts differently to being bullied; some become vengeful, while others become pacifists. There are also those who choose to endure and become stronger, but they're few and far between these days. It's much more popular to play the attention-seeking victim, which I've grown really tired of...

Anyway, I'd say the positive effects of bullying are impossible to predict since they're entirely dependent on personality, so there really is no right or wrong answer to this question. I'd like to believe that it's made me stronger, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.

Years
    Having been bullied in 7th grade made me quite a bit more of a bitter a-hole than I would have been without and contributed to my computer addiction because, you know, if reality sucks, one tries to escape it.
    ...that's positive, isn't it?

Last edited:
    Years
    Simply put, it all depends on your personality. I'm confrontational, big time. Even to this day I do the same exact thing. Bullies are *******s; if you want to get rid of them, beat their face in. However, my logic only works for people with my logic =/

I like your logic! [Y]
    I think getting bullied a bit here and there is good for character building. Its about toughening up. School is a little dreamland. Reality is harsh and unforgiving in a lot of instances. I think bullies are somewhat necessary in a schoolyard, they aid the transfer from school life to real life.

As for the statistics on kids that have committed suicide "because of bullying", I find it to be a bit of a joke. They base it on "oh, this kid killed themselves, he was bullied at school, that must have been the reason why"
    Nobody ever wants to take in outside circumstances that have more than likely played a much bigger part.
    Kids are both brutal and resilient. There is very little physical or mental punishment that they can't handle dishing out or getting back. Bullying has got almost nothing to do with suicide imo.
    Personally, I get sick of people going on about how strong a person has to be to commit suicide when it's actually the weakest option anyone could choose. Its cowardice. Nothing more.
    Not really the point here.

There doesn't really have to be a line drawn in the sand regarding who is a bully and who is the bullied. Everyone can be both. If you get bullied, stand up and do something about it. Don't be a sook about it, that doesn't solve anything.

Also, as a bit of a disclaimer, I think somewhat differently about alot of things, take that into consideration before flaming or anything.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Everything can have a positive effect. Murder can have a positive effect at times, but it doesn't make it right.
    It can strengthen people mentally, it could weaken them mentally, it all depends on the person and how they react to the situation.

I know it had some positive effects on me. But it was vastly outnumbered by negative effects, so I wouldn't say it was really worth it at all.
    If you're given a pile of crap with some candy in the middle, it's still a pile of crap and you still don't really want to eat that candy.

As for the statistics on kids that have committed suicide "because of bullying", I find it to be a bit of a joke. They base it on "oh, this kid killed themselves, he was bullied at school, that must have been the reason why"
    Nobody ever wants to take in outside circumstances that have more than likely played a much bigger part.
    Kids are both brutal and resilient. There is very little physical or mental punishment that they can't handle dishing out or getting back. Bullying has got almost nothing to do with suicide imo.
    You clearly haven't seen how bad some bullying can be.

There doesn't really have to be a line drawn in the sand regarding who is a bully and who is the bullied. Everyone can be both. If you get bullied, stand up and do something about it. Don't be a sook about it, that doesn't solve anything.
    So one person is supposed to stand up to a group of people and get their ass handed to them? What if the bullies are armed?

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
    heck no. people commit suicide because of it.
    I have heard of a story.It is a true event.It said that 2 kids where being bullied for there entire life. they came into there school with guns and bombs and killed and injured many people.that is what bullying can do to you.the two kids committed
    suicide after the killings.
    not a positive thing. at all.

Years
    Ive always been a believer that things/people only have power over you, if you allow them too.
    I find that suicide is a personal choice that stems from weakness, rather than any sort of "contributing factor".
    You can't eradicate something like bullying whatever the outcomes of it.
    It's as much a part of human nature as anything else we do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Ive always been a believer that things/people only have power over you, if you allow them too.
    I find that suicide is a personal choice that stems from weakness, rather than any sort of "contributing factor".
    You can't eradicate something like bullying whatever the outcomes of it.
    It's as much a part of human nature as anything else we do.

i think you were being a little general in your previous post, but i do agree with the "gist"...if you will...of what you're saying, which ties in with what i said in my previous post- that a little struggle makes for a more realistic and wise human being. the thing is, not all bullying is "here and there" and people react to negative things in different ways. you mentioned suicide being nothing more than a cowardice way out- there's more to consider than what a person is going through, such severe depression is often to do with chemical imbalances in the body that are out of one's control. i think you're absolutely right about people tending to ignore the outside circumstances of a suicide and blame it on bullying alone, and that sort of ignorance is as destructive as bullying- and consider that when you belittle the act of suicide and the people who go through such emotions. consider that not everyone works the same way as you.

the act of bullying itself is absolutely destructive, no question- but the results are too complex and varied to be labeled anything at all.

Years
    i think you were being a little general in your previous post, but i do agree with the "gist"...if you will...of what you're saying, which ties in with what i said in my previous post- that a little struggle makes for a more realistic and wise human being. the thing is, not all bullying is "here and there" and people react to negative things in different ways. you mentioned suicide being nothing more than a cowardice way out- there's more to consider than what a person is going through, such severe depression is often to do with chemical imbalances in the body that are out of one's control. i think you're absolutely right about people tending to ignore the outside circumstances of a suicide and blame it on bullying alone, and that sort of ignorance is as destructive as bullying- and consider that when you belittle the act of suicide and the people who go through such emotions. consider that not everyone works the same way as you.

the act of bullying itself is absolutely destructive, no question- but the results are too complex and varied to be labeled anything at all.

I know this is starting to get a little off topic, so I will be brief.
    I have the viewpoint on suicide that I do because of my own personal experience. I've had to deal with nearly 20 close friends of mine committing suicide one way or another in the last 5 years. I'm the one that's always around to pick up the pieces and help with funeral arrangements and things. Its exhausting and its made me VERY bitter about the whole concept.
    So I apologise if I sound harsh, there is a reason.

There is one thing I have learnt though.
    The only thing worse than what bad people do. Whether it be bullies or murderers and such, is, the indifference of good people (in this case, the bullied tend to be quite good people generally speaking).
    Indifference to situations is, in my opinion, worse than the horrible things that they might witness bad people doing.

Back