• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
  • I hate the Pokemon anime and movies with passion.
    I don't ship any characters.
    I love the creation trio.
    Dialga is my favorite legendary.
    I despise the whole 'Smogon stop people from having fun' idea. Smogon users (myself included) actually enjoy the Pokemon metagame. They have a thread for casual players on their forums, meaning they don't hate them like everyone claims.
    Blastoise is my worst Kanto starter while Venusaur is my favorite.
    I prefer Ho-oh over Lugia.
    Hoenn was the worst region to explore.
    My personal order of Pokemon games goes 6>5>4>3>2>1.
    The Sinnoh starter trio have the best designs of any starter trio.
    I don't get why everyone likes Eeveelutions.
    I never play as a female in a Pokemon game.
    I believe that they should never use the two regions gimmick like in GSC and HGSS. I'd rather have one good region like B2W2 Unova or Kalos.

Years
  • My list of opinions
    -Lance is a hacker that uses GS codes. JUST LOOK AT HIS DRAGONITES!
    -Cynthia is overrated
    -D/P were at normal speed, Platinum was the one that was slow
    -All rivals from Gen 3 onwards sucks (I'm looking at you Barry, Cheren and Bianca)
    -They shouldn't have added the Fairy type but instead the ??? type
    -Magikarp is pretty useful in suicidal battles
    -Rayquaza should instead have a Primal Evolution using the Jade Orb introduced in HS/SS
    -They should've used 3D models for Pokemon in Gen IV or at least Gen V
    -The Kalos Pokedex shouldn't have been divided into three sections
    -They should have given you the chance to battle the professor like in X/Y a long long time ago without glitching

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Charizard is overated and pointless. It's gotten even worse for Charizard because nobody uses it (People only use Mega charizard,)

BW and B2W2 had by far the best region, plot, pokemon designs, and characters.

Most competitive pokemon, be it tanks, status spreaders, boosting sweepers, trick roomers, ect have little in the way of complicated/intresting ways of battling. A few, like Bisharp, Aegislash, and Wobbufet do, but most don't.

Primal evolution is pointless and stupidly overpowered.

Mega Pidgeot is not that useful

Years
  • ^ I'm sure that's not just you, oh my god thank you for not being one of the jerkface B2W2 haters, that's part of why I don't battle competitively since I don't like stall and having to strategize, I think it was partly done for the plot of ORAS, and there aren't many people who would disagree since all it really has for it is Hurricane (and to a lesser extent Heat Wave).

My say on that.

milk!

oh yeah!
    Years
  • I think Gen 4 is the best generation. Many people hate Gen 4.
    I think the criticisms are valid- it didn't bring many new things to the table like gen 1-3 did.
    My opinion is mostly subjective though.

Another unpopular opinion is that gen 5 is the worst gen, though I'm not sure how popular that opinion is.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • If ANYONE agrees with these points, tell me.
    Because I'm starting to think I'm the only one who has these opinions...
    Challenge accepted :D
    -The new pokemon are better than the old pokemon.
    Yes, some are. But this is up to the players' tastes, so it's understandable.
    -The newer pokemon starters have better designs than the old pokemon starters
    If you mean Chesnaught to Venusaur then I agree. ^^ But once again that's a tastes thing.
    -Charizard and Umbreon are over-rated
    Because they're old fan favorites. Almost everyone had one on their teams back in RBY/GSC! :3 I love both of them in fact.
    -The newer games are too complicated
    Story wise or battle wise? While you don't have to competitivly battle and learn about evs/ivs the story is pretty mandatory lol. But I like more storyline, so write up a disagree on that account. :/
    -Fighting wild pokemon for EXP points is seriously f.u.c.king boring
    YES. But if we took out wild battles it wouldn't be Pokemon, so we must strive on.
    -The trash can/ice cream pokemon are way cool. Just because they're based off objects doesn't mean crap.
    Another agreement here, I love how cute Vanilice and Trubbish are. :3
    -Gold is a douchebag
    Lol if this isn't Pokemon Adventures directed I don't know what to believe anymore. XD
    -Paul is the cutest guy in the pokemon anime
    I don't deal with 'how cute this guy is' stuff so I'll just hand you this one back..........
    -Red is way over-rated. Like, the pokemon trainer himself.
    He is a bit overrated, but I mean he was the first playable trainer, cut him some slack lol. But I do agree that the fandom seems to worship him...... Almost as much as Bird Jesus.
    -Team Plasma had an understandable point of view
    Yes, but because of the fact they were being used by Ghetsis they found out they were wrong, because 99% of Pokemon would probably be happy staying with their trainers all their lives.

Didn't mean to sound rude anywhere, but you issued a challenge, so I took it. XD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The game needs MOAR Entry Hazards.
    Spoiler:

Stealth CRocks is the greatest move ever and should become a TM once again.

Team Cipher is the most evil organization ever featured in a Pokemon game.

Greninja isn't worthy of the Uber status.

Eight.Bit

May
    Years
  • Didn't mean to sound rude anywhere, but you issued a challenge, so I took it. XD
    Oh my gosh, I love you. xD It was so fun to read all those replies, and thanks for agreeing with me on most of the stuff, lmao. ~
    And nahhh... I love the bigger storylines too, don't get me wrong. By "complicated", I mean, like in Pokemon Blue there's only 152 pokemon. There's no natures, mega evolutions, stuff like that. I honestly have no idea what a nature does or any of those extra stats do, and plus, there's SO MANY goddamn pokemon, catching them all is probably like way hard. I haven't even tried, and I got so overwhelmed by all this stuff that I just put away my 3DS and bought a Gameboy on ebay. :3 Seriously way funner. And I'm not old, so I've never played older than Diamond before I bought it. xD

I think Gen 4 is the best generation. Many people hate Gen 4.
    I think the criticisms are valid- it didn't bring many new things to the table like gen 1-3 did.
    My opinion is mostly subjective though.

Another unpopular opinion is that gen 5 is the worst gen, though I'm not sure how popular that opinion is.
    I have to agree with you here, Generation 4 is the best. I may be kinda biased, since it's the first one I've ever played, so I'm kinda like those old dudes who love Gen 1 so much. xD But whatever.
    And my least favorite is Generation 6 which is probably also unpopular, but I mainly think this because 3D stuff just isn't as good as 2D stuff, and frankly, I enjoy Gen 1 much more than Gen 6. o3o

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
    Years
  • I actually did not really like the Pokemon Black&White games. Other than that there's really not much to complain about.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Unpopular opinions, I think a lot of them would just be some bias's for me.

Edit: Oh by the way, for all of you who are hating on Umbreon... come on. Seriously? Umbreon kicks so much ass it's ridiculous. Please, just to do this pokemon some great Justice, try this out. I used to play an Umbreon in HG called "BlackBetty" and she was an absolute beast. Her movepool was "Confuse Ray", "Toxic", "Faint Attack", and "Moonlight". I had a friend who hated Umbreon's as well, then he tried my move pool, he said it changed all his previous opinions on it, he finally agreed with the pure awesome that is Umbreon. Also obviously it is a fantastic "Curse" passer.

I hate Dragonite. I seriously hate Dragonite. I look down on people who use him, and make fun of people who think he's the best. I think Lance is noob and he is a perfect example of why Dragonite should be hated as well as why people who use Dragonite should be looked down upon. Lance's specific Dragonites were not cheaters, all Dragonites are cheaters. I don't care about his checks or balances, or how solid of a pokemon he is, Dragonite is bad and you should feel bad for using him.

I think it's dumb that Legends can bend time and space and are represented as god-like if not an actual god. Although generation three is probably the most memorable and enjoyable of all the generations I played, I thought introducing the Legends as Gods of land, sea and air was annoying. I liked the idea of Legends as they were presented in generations 1 and 2, where they were simply masters in their power or just simply ancient super pokemon. I always thought of the concept of Mew as an ancient pokemon titan that once ruled as the supreme race of pokemon like some kind of "Prometheus" and the idea of Mewtwo being a scientific monstrosity that was an attempt to return to the age of pokemon titans. More Legends should be like that, the whole god aspect of the Legends now just feels improbable, like if such god-like pokemon would be caught, why would a puny human be able to catch it?

I think that being the Pokemon Champion of the region you are playing in should require more of an upkeep. In other words all players should be challenged regularly by extremely high leveled trainers on a regular basis within the games with the aim of stealing away the championship title. Being the region's champion should be an incredibly important responsibility, and you shouldn't be able to just have it permanently with no problems at all. I mean come on as the story implies, most of the entire worlds economy within the game revolves around the pokemon championship.

I think the large amount of water areas within Hoenn were extremely important to the overall storyline and were fascinating to explore and learn about. I actually would prefer another game in the future to have more tropical themes as Hoenn did and that there should be much more water areas. Plus water pokemon are awesome anyways and there should be more of them. Yes I know there are tons of water pokemon already but as an addition to my unpopular opinion about more water, that goes for more water pokemon as well.

Flying pokemon need to stop being Normal. I understand the idea that most of the flying pokemon are common birds which easily explains they typing, but I'm sick of there not being any solid Flying types. It's a great type with balanced weaknesses and resistances, so why the solid type hate for Flying. Just give me a solid flying type, and making it a bird would be great. No additional typings, just a straight flying type Bird would be nice.

I think Mega Evolutions as an overall concept is stupid. Whenever a pokemon was upgraded in a future game, it was just given another somewhat difficult to obtain evolution, that's not a problem, it even makes sense in the stories. Humans are constantly learning about pokemon finding new ways to evolve to adapt to new environments, that's why they evolve. The temporary mega evolution makes no sense towards the original reasoning behind why pokemon evolve in the first place, it stops being about permanent evolutionary adaptation, and becomes completely meta oriented temporary power grabs.

I think Fairy typing is important for what was necessary to balance the type listing and as well as it made sense for the large collection of pokemon that obviously had backgrounds as being Faries. Clefairy... I mean come on Fairy was in it's name, we knew something like this was supposed to exist probably way before generation 6.
    However... (and this is the actual unpopular opinion) they destroyed Mawile. Why? Why, did you destroy what was probably the last stable solid Steel typing pokemon? I don't care about how much more powerful it is now in meta, or how much it needed the power boost or the increased move pool. They took one of my favorite pokemon and completely changed one of the main reasons why I loved Mawile so much. It was unique, had some incredibly useful niche styles of playing, and that solid steel typing, oh my god was it awesome. So much raw power in such a tiny often laughed at pokemon. They ruined it for me with how they changed it, I mean I even would have been okay with if they gave it a new evolution, so long as it stayed what it was supposed to be, a wonky but fun to use Solid Steel type. Nope, had to take that nice and unique pokemon apart and turn it into it's now fairy typed face beating monstrosity. Whatever... I'm glad Meta players can finally enjoy a pokemon I've been enjoying for years before they made it a powerhouse. I guess Mawile is finally getting the respect it always deserved... just not in the way that I always hoped and expected.

I know it has been mentioned already, but I really like all the weird commonly called "bad designed" pokemon such as ice cream cones and trash bags. Ever since the first generation of pokemon we've had pokemon that have been developed under human influence and experimentation. "Grimer", "Porygon" and "Mewtwo" are all pokemon who have only come into existence because Humans have influenced these pokemon environments to be either comfortable for these pokemon to exist in or to be developed for human related purposes which pokemon just evolve and adapt into. Their designs aren't bad, they're just realistic based on the science of what we know about pokemon within the games. They're unattractive sure, but not bad pokemon designs.

I'm sure I have some more unpopular opinions/biases, I'll post more later when I think of them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You wanna know another one that's been to me for a while?

People who do Let's Plays or Nuzlockes need to stop saying "that did nothing" or "that wasn't a lot at all" every time their attacks do less than half to the opponent. Like, they'll bring their opponent just shy of the orange, and they'll act like their hits did terribly. It really annoys me and sometimes makes it hard for me to watch. In fact, in shofu's newest Live Pokémon Showdown episode, I think he was Skyping with someone while he was doing it and when his Mega Altaria took like 48% from a Mega Alakazam's Dazzling Gleam, the guy he was with said "that did zero" repeatedly but shofu protested saying "that did 48, that's not zero". Thank you, someone who understands that.

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
    Years
  • Here are mine:

I personally feel that gen. 2 is the worst to date. I mean, I enjoyed it well enough. However, I really did not like a lot of the Pokemon introduced in Johto. I found the starters to be rather boring - but I do like Typhlosion. I also despised the rival - that was kind of the point, sure, but at least Blue was kind of cool. I just found Silver to be annoying.

I feel dragon types are overrated in general. I do like a lot of dragon type Pokemon, but I do not think they are as good as their reputation.

I did not like Wallace as a champion. He is fine as a gym leader, but I feel he is way too easy as a Champion. I typically pick Treeko, so the Champion fight in
    Emerald was a real letdown for me. Plus, in Emerald you have Juan for the last gym and then Wallace for the champion battle - it is a bit too much water, if you ask me.

I think mega evolution is a great idea. It seems a lot of more seasoned players do not like it, but I think it is awesome! I love being able to give my favourite Pokemon a little something extra. Metagross is my favourite Pokemon, and I love the speed boost it gets when it mega evolves. Plus, the mega evolution anime series is great.

I really do not like Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevior/Gallade. I never cared for their designs. Gardevior always seemed creepy to me.

I like the pacing in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I can understand wanting to beat the game quickly. However, I really like that the Sinnoh games were a bit slower. I love doing nuzlockes, and Sinnoh is a great region to do nuzlockes in because I do not feel I have to rush training my team to get to the next plot point. I also like how the pacing speeds up near the plot's resolution. It is like you can see everything pulling together and there is a sense of urgency for a while. It seems more realistic to have a mix of slow and faster pacing with a game's plot.

I think Sceptile is the coolest Hoenn starter.
    I get the hype over Blaziken and Swampert, but I always liked Sceptile much more. Plus, grass/dragon type when it mega evolves and a complete immunity to electric attacks? What is not to like?

I think some of the spin-off games are better than the main games. The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, Pokemon Ranger, and Gale of Darkness were all awesome. I would take them over some of the main games any day!

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    1) HG/SS are my least favorite games in the main series. I didn't like Gen II much to begin with, but I like the remakes even less. For some reason, even though I'm not absolutely 100% in love with G/S/C, when I fire them up I can play for hours. However, I can't do the same with HG/SS. I can't quite put my finger on it, but even playing those for 20 minutes is boring. Actually, it's not just boring... it's draining. Playing those for a bit makes me not want to play a Pokémon game for the rest of the month.

2) I haven't played OR/AS yet, but I've listened to the OST. It's... okay I guess. I feel like most of the tracks are just very watered down versions of the originals. Don't get me wrong, they do sound amazing... but they don't exactly pack as much of a punch as the originals. There are some exceptions however, namely Brendan's/May's battle theme, the Golems' battle theme, Slateport City, Deoxys' battle theme, and the Safari Zone (which I actually strongly disliked back in R/S/E... this one is so, so much better). The only track that makes me wanna mute the volume is Maxie's/Archie's battle theme. I don't think they did a good job on that one.

3) I think B/W are vastly superior to any of the games that came before, and to their sequels. Can't say anything about OR/AS and X/Y as I haven't played those so that's why I'm not all-out declaring "B/W ARE THE BEST GAMES EVAH".

I loved how they only included Gen V Pokémon, and I feel that's what they should have done in any generation. It's kinda like learning a new language. When you find yourself in a situation where you have to speak another language you haven't exactly mastered and don't have the option to fall back on your native language to communicate, you have your back against the wall. You have to speak this new language. That's what happens when you only put the new Pokémon. There are no old, familiar faces. Fans have to learn the new Pokémon's names and typings, because they really don't want to do something as stupid as using Dig on Scraggy just 'cause they think it's an Electric-type. They have to adapt to this completely new setting.
    I thought it was brilliant, though I can understand why so many people have found it frustrating.

Besides this, I loved the storyline. They managed to avoid what pretty much killed the Sinnoh games - having two climaxes. You beat the League and Team Plasma at the same time, and the plot doesn't run out. In D/P/Pt, you beat Team Galactic, and then you're left to beat the last two Gyms so that you can reach the League. Without any plot behind it.
    The characters were great. I liked Cheren's development. As for Bianca, it was kinda... ehh. I felt honestly bad about having to break her dreams myself since the game doesn't give you any other options, and I felt so bad when N said she learned the sad truth that not everyone can be strong. But after that, she just gets dropped and acts as a random bodyguard to people. I didn't like that. As for N, the only thing I will say is that I lost many man-points crying over his backstory. I'm ashamed of it, yes.
    The music was awesome. Some of my favorite tracks are The Dreamyard, Undella Town (Autumn/Spring/Winter), N's Room, and holy noodles Unwavering Emotions was amazing. The last one too was one of the causes for my huge loss of masculinity points. Pokémon is serious biz.

Anyway, now that I'm done fanboying over the various aspects of the game, I can say that personally I felt this was the absolute peak of Pokémon games. Every little detail was on point. It was a very polished game.
    When the dudes over at Game Freak get something wrong, they get it wrong. But when they get it right, they absolutely knock it out of the park.

4) Mightyena is the man. Unless you wanna use it in competitive battling... in which case, Mightyena isn't really the man. But seriously, I think it's a pretty good Pokémon to have on hand in the main storyline.

5) I hate, hate, hate graveyards. Pokémon Tower, Mt. Pyre, Lost Tower, Celestial Tower. Why does everyone put dead Pokémon in towers anyway? Do they cremate every single Pokémon? Because burying them wouldn't really be practical... or even possible, for that matter. How does one even bury a Metagross inside a tower? Man. I know the developers need a place to showcase and catch Ghost-type Pokémon, but why not try something different like an abandoned town or an abandoned mine? Anything but a graveyard. Please.

6) Not sure how unpopular this is, but I'm gonna go ahead and include it. I had never really thought about this before, but after rereading the G/S/C chapter of the manga, I think it'd be interesting to have the option of not beating the Gym Leaders and being able to wander around the region without being necessarily headed to the Pokémon League, just like Gold. I know it strays a lot from the usual Pokémon formula but I feel it'd give many options for new and different storylines.

Sorry for the huge rant, or if I sounded like I was trying to impose my views in any way. Sometimes I can get a little carried away, lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

It depends what part of the fanbase you are. I find that generally that on Pokécommunity most people like Gen 5, although other parts of the fanbase hate it with a passion.

Gonna put some more of my unpopular opinions here.

- I don't really care for most Fire or Dark types
    - Pokemon Rumble (especially the new F2P one) are pretty good dumb fun
    - I don't really care for Pokémon snap
    - Whitney's Milktank is pretty easy if you get a Onix via in-game trade early on in G/S
    - A Pokémon MMO game would be a nightmare
    - Gen 6's pokémon are a lot better off due to there only being about 70 of them, I feel that they would've gone with the same direction that they did with Gen 5's pokemon by making them feel redundant
    - They shouldn't make another Mystery Dungeon title considering how the 3DS game was such as mess
    - Gen 5 should've been a 3DS launch title or should've been released early in the 3DS's life
    - I think there shouldn't be a new core pokémon game released this year, if they have to it should be a Red and Blue remake and shouldn't take as many liberties that OR/AS took

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I find Pikachu very overrated and not cute at all. I especially hate Ash's Pikachu, ita is such a brat and never goes in its Pokéball. That's not cute.
    Also, this opinion is EXTREMELY unpopular. I don't find Pokémon appropriate at all for young children. There is so much violence, I wasn't allowed to watch it until I was 13, so all these people saying it was part of their childhood is kinda annoying.

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
    Years
  • These may have already been mentioned earlier on in the thread but there's too many posts to read through ;)

I don't like Mega Evolution and don't think they should've been added
    While a couple of them do have good designs, most look rubbish, in my opinion.
    I realize that they added them to bring something new to the franchise but there are so many different additions they could've made rather than ruining the look of some Pokémon just to give them a little bit more power.

The only times I've actually used a Mega Evolution is when I've had to due to the storyline. Other than that, I refuse to use them.

My least favourite Generation is Gen 4
    My main reason for this is due to how slow the gameplay is. I kinda like that it stands out from the rest of the franchise my being a slower game but I'd have much preferred it to have the same pacing as the other games.

I've got no complaints as far as the storyline or the new Pokémon though as some great Pokémon were added in Gen 4.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    My unpopular opinion ---

--- The Director & Writer of Pokemon Anime series hate Ash for being Takeshi Shodu's creation so they treat Ash like a crap while favoring all other character.

Example : Ash being force to release Goodra when Iris get to keep her freaking Dragonite!
    Or
    An Idiot like Cameron beating Ash in the league with 5 pokemon because he's the current writers creation so they love & favor him over Ash.

Back