• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't know. I'll check into it and see if I can find it. I think that pegi 7 can be translated to different ratings across other countries though.

I checked Bulba for rating comparisons. XY and ORAS both had PEGI scores of 7 and ESRB ratings of E. They are the only Pokemon games with PEGI scores of 7, all the others with PEGI scores are at 3, with the other rating systems still being the same as far as I saw.

Bulbapedia lists the PEGI 7 as a provisional rating.

Reactions: Z25
    Years
    Serebii posted an image of a steel book collectors edition with a PEGI rating of 7 on the book. Is that the ESRB equivalent to E rating?

As Wings said, 7 is PEGI's equivalent to E10+ since I recall the PEGI equivalent of E is 3. In Australia's system, E10+ ratings usually become PG here (G8+ prior to the current system being established in 2005), and that's usually been our rating used for main series Pokemon games so I can't see that changing.

So I guess the ratings will really only be affected for the ESRB and PEGI systems, while Australia will likely just slap PG on it again.

However, I did look up previous titles and it appears that PEGI and OFLC (Australia's system) had ratings inconsistencies. Both the 5th Gen games as well as HG/SS were rated 3 for PEGI and G for OFLC, with the Sinnoh games being rated PG for the latter. The 2nd and 3rd Gen games were rated 3 for PEGI and G8+ (now PG) for OFLC. 1st Gen was the most baffling one since it was rated 12 under the PEGI system and G8+ (PG) for Australia.

So as you can see, PG has been Australia's rating of choice for main series Pokemon games, with only HG/SS and 5th Gen being the exception. PEGI went from a 12 in 1st Gen, to a 3 in Gen 2-5 and then went to 7 for 6th Gen. Only the US has stayed consistent, having E on every main series game so far.

Last edited:
    Years
    If it has more mature themes, it'll probably have to be done in a way that'll go over the kiddies' heads.

I'm 23, so it doesn't really bother me.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I think the Pegi 7 rating confirms E for the US. Aside from XY and ORAS having Pegi 7 and E for ERSB, if the games did have stuff like alcohol and gambling, it would've immediately gotten a Pegi 12.

Years
    I think the Pegi 7 rating confirms E for the US. Aside from XY and ORAS having Pegi 7 and E for ERSB, if the games did have stuff like alcohol and gambling, it would've immediately gotten a Pegi 12.

I'm likely with you here. A PEGI rating of 7 likely means PG for Australia, while ESRB seems likely to continue its E rating trend. While an E10+ rating could have been possible with the themes that were brought up, it would likely mean 12 for PEGI and it was the likely reason behind the removal of gambling, so don't be surprised if the Game Corner is a no-show again.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    if you take a closer look it says provisional at the bottom

also gamestop still has it listed as rating pending

so its still subject to change

Years
    I can see that now. Still have a feeling the final ratings will be the same as what we got for the 6th Gen games.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    if you take a closer look it says provisional at the bottom

also gamestop still has it listed as rating pending

so its still subject to change
    Ah, didn't notice the provisional. Regardless, I still thing the rating would be that, like previous games.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    thats why i went with the age restricted content system theory. it's about the only way they could get away with putting pg13/T rated stuff in the game without altering the rating from E. it would make it a game with 2 different ratings, but would give options for the parents of younger fans and allow older fans to go without.
    now that i think about it, has there ever been a console or handheld video game with a built in age gate? i've seen it in mmos, on youtube and other sites before but i don't recall ever seeing one in a console or handheld game

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    The Megaman Battle Network games tossed death around a lot and I am pretty sure damn was used yet that got a E rating. I guess it could be said that was a different time and parents were not so protective.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    The Megaman Battle Network games tossed death around a lot and I am pretty sure damn was used yet that got a E rating. I guess it could be said that was a different time and parents were not so protective.
    that's death, it's something that kids should learn about as it will one day be their fate and the cost of the so called gift known as life

Back