• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pre-E4 Level Gap in Plat

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    OK...so I beat the Sunnyshore gym, went through Victory Road, etc... BUT all my Pokemon are level 50 and Cynthia's Pokemon go up to 60.

I mean I can grind in VR and the water route, but seriously? 10 levels of grinding? This is such a headache.

Anyone else find a better way to level through the gap?

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    i just went on ahead. I used dialga since my team was underleveled. but i did have all three starters through the story and used them too of course. got em from gts

Ace~Sasaki

I'm no match for you...
    Years
    I just battled the gentleman and socialite on route 212 (I think) with an amulet coin, they give u major $ and level up ur pokemon nicely.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I mean, yeah, I have the amulet coin, but that's not going to help me level :|

And actually I have almost $500,000 now too.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Try your best defeating the elite 4 and you will go up some levels. Otherwise use your vs. seeker to face trainers to level up and earn cash. Like you said, train in the water route or victory road. It may be annoying but you gotta train if you want to win and beat Cynthia. Just make sure you buy enough revives, and full restores. ;D

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Argh. I'm with ya pokejungle. I've played Diamond on an emulator and Platinum on a DS, and even though I trained my pokemon like 8-10 levels THREE times throughout the game, I still met the E4 with Pokemon ranging from levels 50-55. It may have two causes:

1. The Sinnoh league is overleveled
    2. It's just plain hard to keep your pokemon's levels up as the storyline goes in DPPt. Which is what I think it is. Seriously, catching Giratina with level 42/43 pokemon was a pain in the ass. Thank God I chose Piplup, as Empoleon walls Giratina totally.

Lemme check my league stuff..
    Okay, this was my team the first time I went through the E4 on Platinum:
    Empoleon Lv.54: Modest Nature @ No item
    Brine
    Surf
    Drill Peck
    Avalanche
    Garchomp Lv.55: Hardy Nature @ No item
    Dragon Claw
    Slash
    Crunch
    Dig
    Giratina Altered Forme Lv.54: Serious Nature @ No item
    Heal Block
    Dragon Claw
    AncientPower
    Shadow Force
    Staraptor Lv.54: Lonely Nature @ No item
    Close Combat
    Fly
    Quick Attack
    Brave Bird
    Azelf Lv.55: Naive Nature @ No item
    Extrasensory
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot

I just barely knocked myself through Cynthia. I can't believe I took out her Garchomp, but I guess I did.. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Yeah for Giratina I had to use my Staraptor which wasn't affected by most of the moves.

Ugh, I think they are over levelled. :< They should've at least included an area that you can just battle and rebattle trainers, kind of like the cafe area, but that's lv30.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The gap's in all the games to some extent. I find myself having to level grind before every gym to stay a few levels ahead of the competition. Even so, the Elite Four usually overshadow me by 4-6 levels at the end.

Vs. Seeker is your best bet, particulary the guys on the way to Sunyshore (unless you're training Grass/Electric types; then the water route between Sunyshore and Victory Road works wonders.)

IMO, the huge level gap is GameFreak's attempt to make the Elite Four "challenging" because they count on many players not wanting to waste time level grinding.

Ayselipera

I just train them through Victory road until they reach level 60. Which I won't lie its a huge pain in the you know what.

Ace~Sasaki

I'm no match for you...
    Years
    IMO, the huge level gap is GameFreak's attempt to make the Elite Four "challenging" because they count on many players not wanting to waste time level grinding.

You know, I really don't understand why they have to make them so challenging, I mean, Making u have to level up ur pokemon isn't fun, it's grueling lol.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    OK...so I beat the Sunnyshore gym, went through Victory Road, etc... BUT all my Pokemon are level 50 and Cynthia's Pokemon go up to 60.

I mean I can grind in VR and the water route, but seriously? 10 levels of grinding? This is such a headache.

Anyone else find a better way to level through the gap?

Yea, don't bother with it and just fight her with your level 50 guys. Level 50 is sufficient enough to beat the league, works every time for me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm already having problems with 2nd person. Her Rhyperior knows avalanche and it hits my Roserade hard and for everyone else earthquake is pretty strong.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    i beat them with a team off 40's,
    crobat
    gyarados
    lucario
    Luxray
    graveler

if you got some tactics, it's easy
    I used 10hyper potions, 3 lepa's and some other berry's :)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I have 2 tactics:
    1.Buy full restores and revives as much as possible
    2.Have Lucario and Infernape in your team, then just battle the crap out of the girl with the Lopunny outside Sunnyshore (gets either Spe or Atk EVs aswell!)

Ace~Sasaki

I'm no match for you...
    Years
    I'm already having problems with 2nd person. Her Rhyperior knows avalanche and it hits my Roserade hard and for everyone else earthquake is pretty strong.

Yeah, Roserade might be at a disadvantage because its half-poison, If u have a Water-Type, I suggest u use it, If u dont, U could just capture a high level one. Personally, I had a whiscash, a water-ground type. U could use fighting, ground, steel, and ice type moves as I think those should do some damage.

SCV058

The Able Vet
    Years
    I agree that the E4 in Platinum have a larger gap than Generation III games. I can normally beat the E4 in Emerald/Fire Red pretty easily without doing extra training but I have to train extra a lot in order to win as easily in Platinum.

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    Your team's only Lv. 50? Believe it or not, by the time I reached Sunyshore, my whole team was Lv. 70-80.

Nintendee

Look Into My Eyes....
    Years
    it is pretty hard to beat them but my team was around lv. 50 when i beat it you just need to think and have a mixed team. like fire, water, electric, flying, psychic and other type or legendary. also, buy alot of revives, full restores etc. if you dont have the money fight the socialite and rich boys.

Back