• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preferred starter Pok?mon type?

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    In each Pok?mon game you are given 3 choices between a Grass, Fire and Water type to start out your journey.

Of course there was the unique instant in Pok?mon Yellow where you only could start out with Pikachu but beyond that which type do you prefer to start out with in any game or all games in general.

For me I prefer to start with whatever the Fire type starter is for the game.

I do find some people often will choose whichever type by which one will have an advantage over whatever the initial Gym Leaders are to progress easier in the beginning.

But me personally I like a challenge and stick with the Fire type even if the first few Gym Leaders may give me a harder time. Like how choosing Charmander will be a harder beginning in LF/FR and the originals but hey I like my Fire types.

alangeds

eighthblossom
    Years
    I first used to choose Squirtle in the Red & Blue games, then in G/S/C I always chose Cyndaquil or Chikorita, and in R/S/E, I chose Torchic, but now I wish I chose Treecko, because Grovyle's cool!

Well, I guess it's pretty random, of what I chose, but I wouldn't mind starting out with a Ghost type..

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    The grass starters have and always will be my favourites. Meganium and Venusaur both have good defencive qualities and Sceptile can do pretty darn much damage pretty darn fast. Their appearance however, is the reason I like them more than the others. Sure Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Mudkip, Swampert, Charmander, Charmeleon, Cyndaquil and Quilava are cute, but Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium are just so darn adorable ^_^ Treecko and Sceptile are one of the few Pok?mon I actually think are cool and Grovyle is just so adorable just like Bulbasaur, Ivysaur etc...

So yea... my vote goes for grass.

Jack_Skellington

Don't Mess With Me Fool!!
    Years
    I am a sucker for grass types, so in B/R I would always pick Bulbasaur, but sometimes I would pick Chartmander, in G/S/C, I would usually pick Chikorita, and nothing else, and in R/S I would always pick Mudkip, a change in my usual starter type. I would like it if they let you start with a Psychic type wouldn't it??

Years
    The fire types starters all ways seem to be my choice except in pokemon crystal i chose chikorita, but in most pokemon games i choose a fire type like a started with a charmander on firered , because i love charmander and its final evolved form charizard is cool!. now on emerald i started with a torchic. i just seem to like fire starters more.

Hamstar

HALLO.
    Years
    My preferred starter is Pikachu...It's powerful, fast, and WHO doesn't LOVE pikachu? ^^;

I think they shoulda made a GBA remake of Pok?mon Yellow...but that's just me...

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Well, it looks like the concessus is that Fire types are the preferred starter Pok?mon type with Grass type following just behind.

Hamstar said:
    My preferred starter is Pikachu...It's powerful, fast, and WHO doesn't LOVE pikachu? ^^;

I think they shoulda made a GBA remake of Pok?mon Yellow...but that's just me...
    Well, that isn't what I asked in the thread as I asked which is the preferred type out the the choices Fire, Grass and Water.

And ya I like to see a remake of Yellow.

Last edited:

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
    Years
    well i play through the games so many times i tend to start with each type at least 3 times lol.
    but thinking back, the first time i ever played red/blue i chose bulbasaur, gold/silver i chose chikorita, ruby/saphire treecko.

What can i say, I'm Mr Grass Pokemon Trainer :)

Years
    I always use water type pokemon.

It is easier in the begining but toward the end of the game it gets rougher.

I always choose water type pokemon becuase two of the three pokemon are on my top 20 favorite pokemon list.

Blastoise is my fourth ^^^

BROOKE_&_LUGIA

Certified Pinkaholic
    Years
    I always choose water type in the first verson I get (except ruby, I got torchic). Like for example, I got gold before silver, I got todidile in gold, then cyndaquil in silver. I usualy pick water first, fire second, and grass last (because grass pokemon are weak to like almost everything).

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Well, In the red and blue games, i always start off with the fire types, but in yellow i was very happy with pikachu, In the newer games i have always started with the grasss types so i don't know really, probably fire or grass are my favorites.

Micans

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2006
    I prefer fire, but liked Treecko more than the other starters for R/S/E.

Spencer

-_-
    Years
    I like to pick either what pokemon looks coolest. But like the second time I play, I usually pick the one that is strongest against the first gym leader.

Chronos

Not named from YGO-GX.
    Years
    I normally go with the water type. Though sometimes I will pick the fire type. I've only picked the grass type of a game once (Bulbasaur in Leaf Green) and I don't like picking them, I find them too weak. Though I will pikc the grass type occasionally if I want a challenge

Space Guard

Part-Time Avenger
    Years
    I pick mine at random. I liked Pok?mon Yellow as you could get all 3 starters. (I recently went on it and thought that I had entered a timemachine :laugh:)

Years
    I don't have a preferred type. On R/B/FR/LG, I choose Charmander because I like him and Charizard is one of my favourite Pokemon. On G/S/C, I don't really favour any one of them, but never choose Chikorita. I hate grass types! On R/S/E, I prefer Mudkip because Marshstomp is one of my fave Pokemon also.

Back