• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prepare for Team Fortress 2! (It's free!)

Years
  • And I had to buy it just half a year ago, of course
    Prepare for Team Fortress 2! (It's free!)

Hmm, I knew TF2's popularity was in decline but... that it was already that far past its zenith is quite surprising to me.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • There are a few restrictions on free accounts (mostly related to cosmetic items), but these can be lifted by purchasing anything at the Mann Co. Store. You need to invest a minimum of $5 into a Steam wallet, which can be used to buy both items from Mann Co. or any game on Steam.

Zaspien

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • This certainly sounds fun and I'll be sure to pop in at least once. Don't be surprised if I do terribly though! I really don't play Team Fortress 2 that often.

Years
  • Just downloaded it, and, while fun, it lags my computer to hell and back, which is odd since it's only a year old. If said issue can be somehow resolved, then count me in.

Years
  • This certainly sounds fun and I'll be sure to pop in at least once. Don't be surprised if I do terribly though! I really don't play Team Fortress 2 that often.

Don't worry about it! It is just a bit of fun and to enjoy the game! Don't feel like you have to be world champion level!​

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Just downloaded it, and, while fun, it lags my computer to hell and back, which is odd since it's only a year old. If said issue can be somehow resolved, then count me in.

Try fiddling around with the graphics settings. This is one of the major reasons behind framerate lag.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    I'll certainly join the Fortress Fridays, as I've only just downloaded it for this purpose. Just now need to get some better weapons.

Years
  • I'm playing on ~250ms ping and it's semi-workable. :P

I'm used to playing on 40ms, so it's pretty painful. It depends on how you're playing, as well. Pyro, Medic, Heavy and Engy are do-able, as you don't need prefect timing. Scout, Sniper and quick Soldier playing become really difficult, as the scout's movements need to be fast and precise, or it just doesn't work. Sniper will miss too many shots on moving targets and it's really hard to Rocket Jump as a Solly with that sort of lag.

I love launching into the air over enemies and taking them from the sky. :D Downside is that you need all four rockets loaded, so the Black Box and the new Rocket are out of question.

I was playing the other day on an over-full Dustbowl server (30 players) and we got to the choke point just before red's final point over the canyon. Down that long corridor... 30 players in that small area is just insane.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    OMG we have a TF2 server awesome, im joining it

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Where is the server hosted? I'm loading my game now, and this knowledge would be nice.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I have to agree with Zet on this one. If you won't make it insta-spawn, could you at least put on some sort of smaller time limit, like 3-5 seconds instead of 20 seconds which is what I usually get.

Also would there be any chance of something to prevent randoms on the server, especially during events? It'd be annoying if you were to try and partake in an event and there's randoms on there that you can't join.

Years
  • Seems like it's hosted in the US or the UK since Aussies have a high ping.

Also the server has been down for a few hours, I'm guessing it needs to be updated.

I traced the server IP back to an ISP in Houston, Texas. So yeah, the US.

Instaspawn really depends on the map size and ability of your team. I've been on many a team where you go down for 20 seconds and they don't have the manpower to hold a point. It's rather sad. *cough last point in well cough*

As for map size, with a small map, such as 2Fort, spawn time is more forgiving, whereas on something like 5Gorge, it's just downright painful.

IMO, cut the spawn time back, given the option. Otherwise trash it completely.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    ****ing hell no.

Instant respawn is not how TF2 is supposed to be played. The game is not balanced at all for instant respawn, as a result the game suffers. You're basically punishing the attacking team because they have to wade through the enemy team several times because they respawn fast enough to defend the final point far too effectively. It also makes CTF games boring stalemates cultivating sentry farms for the same reason.

The solution to respawn times is - don't die. Play smart, play as a cohesive and effective team and you'll die less often. In the traditional ruleset, the team with a greater concentration of skilled players will more often win the round. (With allowances for random crits changing the course of a forward push)

Promoting instant respawn teaches people the incorrect ways to play the game, just like 32-man servers or other non-standard gameplay modifiers.

Last edited:
    Back