• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PS3 - Uncharacteristic of Sony?

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Mario The World Champion said:
    Well, does anybody know the story of how Sony got into the game wars in the first place?

It's all Nintendo's fault.

They made a deal with Sony back during the development of the SNES to make a CD-rom add on to the system. However, when the Sega CD failed to take off, Nintendo got spooked by it and terminated the deal with Sony, right before the 1991 CES show and they signed with Philips to make the SNES CD add on. However, this deal ultimately ended up dead.

Instead of letting their research go to waste, Sony went ahead and started making their own CD-rom based video game system. And while both Sony and Nintendo reconciled and started work on an SNES port to its system, Sony knew that the next generation of gaming technology was fast approaching, dropped the SNES port and the aging SNES technology and the gaming world was changed forever once the PlayStation took over

So, in short... if Nintendo never stabbed Sony in the back like they did... the PlayStation would not be here and Nintendo would still rule the gaming world.
    As true as it may be, it's irrelevant to the topic at hand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the topic is "the PS3 being uncharacteristic of Sony" or something, not Sony vs. Nintendo. >>;

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Mario The World Champion said:
    Well, does anybody know the story of how Sony got into the game wars in the first place?

It's all Nintendo's fault.

They made a deal with Sony back during the development of the SNES to make a CD-rom add on to the system. However, when the Sega CD failed to take off, Nintendo got spooked by it and terminated the deal with Sony, right before the 1991 CES show and they signed with Philips to make the SNES CD add on. However, this deal ultimately ended up dead.

Instead of letting their research go to waste, Sony went ahead and started making their own CD-rom based video game system. And while both Sony and Nintendo reconciled and started work on an SNES port to its system, Sony knew that the next generation of gaming technology was fast approaching, dropped the SNES port and the aging SNES technology and the gaming world was changed forever once the PlayStation took over

So, in short... if Nintendo never stabbed Sony in the back like they did... the PlayStation would not be here and Nintendo would still rule the gaming world.
    Yes we all know it was Nintendo's own stupid fault. That "Blame Nintendo" that you keep pushing is getting so old.

And the main reason of the break off of the Nintendo/Sony CD deal wasn't because of the bad rap of the Sega CD. It was because Sony was going to keep the rights to many games, was going to make all the CDs and all that. So that'd totally cut Nintendo out of the picture. And that's why they went to Philips, and yet again they made another stupid mistake with going CD for the SNES.

Now back on topic, the sad fact is... Sony wouldn't get anywhere without Nintendo. Their controller is the best example. How much has it changed since the first Sony controller? 2 analog sticks and a rumble pack. The PS3 controller is the same old Sony controller look. All they did was remove the rumble pack (they're not smart enough to get the motion sensor and the rumble pack to work with their new controller), and add motion sensor to it.
    The style of the controller hasn't changed, not since the very first Sony controller. The PS controller is the same as the PS3 one. And the Sony controller looks more or less the same as the SNES controller.
    PS3 - Uncharacteristic of Sony?

D-Pad on the left, two buttons in the middle, 4 on the right (same place for them as well), L and R buttons (they just got two more). Looks like they could have moved the D-Pad on the other side or something to make it different then the SNES. Sure the Sony controller feels better then the SNES one, but all the buttons are in the same spot (even down to the spot of the Start and Select.

Sony takes stuff from Nintendo (mostly from the controllers), and jack it up really really high (on specs and price). And Nintendo will never do anything about it. You will have fanboys from Sony go "That's just fine", but if Nintendo would take something from Sony they'd be all over Nintendo like stink on a skunk. Doesn't matter if they took the controller, rumble pack, analog stick, online (the NES was online back then), wireless controller, motion sensor, the I-Toy (the GameBoy Camera used more or less the same thing), as well as other things. It's always "Nintendo sucks, Sony rules", and it's never going to end because Nintendo happens to don't mind that Sony and others take their ideas. But it doesn't mean I have to like it, Sony's hardware is crap (my PSP is splitting in half, I got a broke PS2, and there's two prem broke PS2 controllers and a third doesn't work right), but I love their games.
    If Nintendo got out of gaming (or at least hardware) then to me gaming would slowly die. It'll be the same old same old gen after gen after gen. It'll get old and everyone will do other things. But as long as Nintendo is there to have it's stuff ripped off I think there's hope for gamers out there.

Shadow said:
    Holy Koffings, Crobatman, Arcany is rich. O_O
    I wish, I'll likely have to put off getting my truck to get all three plus games plus controllers and anything else I need. XD

Years
    Once again, Master Arcanine has said all that has needed to be said.
    Score:
    Arcanine: 10000000000000000... to the power of ten
    Sony Fanboys: -1923054987 times one million

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    I was going to put in my little comments, but Arcanine just said it all and more.

Orophin, do a little bit of research next time, okay?

And it's obvious that Sony just took Nintendo's ideas, it's not the other way around for those of you who think otherwise.

I'm still getting a PS3, but after its price goes down...

...way down.

Back