• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PS3 - Uncharacteristic of Sony?

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
Years
  • OK, i have been hearing a ton about the ps3 and how awesome it will be, but stepping back and looking at it, you may as well call it the WiiBox3. After all, the only innovations it has are the blu-ray disks, which will be a flop, because it will NOT be the next universal disk format that sony anticipated it to be - High Def DVD, produced by Microsoft, will be. of course, it does hold more data, and will make the graphics better, but don't expect to watch next-gen HD DVDs on it.

lets see the other technologies the ps3 employes:

controller - same as the others (even from 2 generations ago!) except for the motion sensor, a copy off of the wii

blu-ray - only innovative thing (which i give sony full credit for, but will be hit by slow loading times and will not be the universal format, as sony predicted [but thats never stopped sony in the past! {a good thing}])

high-def games - not exactly origional, the first xbox beat them to it, but still improving on them never hurts

hard drive - widely used, and needed for any system nowdays (i always did like storing data on my game cartridges :-) )

downloading ps1 games online (through ps3) to download on psp - need i even get into this? blatent copy.

design - innovative, and very cool and sleek (see, i'm fair)

releasing in two bundles - hmm, just after the 360 gained a ton of sales for origionating that very idea

online - modeled off of xbox live (source: interview with sony president - he said, "we are completely redoing our online system, and yes, it is heavily influenced by xbox live, which has been very successful. we hope to generate similar success.")

and finally, by no means am i a sony hater. i desperately wanted a ps2, but just ended up "borrowing" my friends and using it for an "extensive" time. i was always appreciative of sonys innovations in other systems, especially storing games on CD, and my favorite, the analog stick (can you imagin gaming without it?), but the ps3 severly lacks the innovation sony always employs, which i find extremely disappointing.

Orophin

Gamer
    Years
  • PS3 a copy off wii? What world are you living in? PS3 is gonna blow wii out of the water. wii just looks like a glorified TV controller. Besides the fact that the PS3 was under construction long before the wii. So therefore any similarities where copied by Nintendo, not sony.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
  • i said it takes some features from the wii, not that it is just a copy of the wii. try reading all of my post next time. second of all, how do you know that the ps3 was under construction before the wii? and third of all, how do you know that they didn't add those features after they saw the wii? i'm not saying for a fact that sony directly copied, but it sure seems that their ideas were awefully similar to those of nintendo and microsoft...

Orophin

Gamer
    Years
  • Cause PS3 was officially announced to be under construction at least a year, if not 2 before wii. Nintendo's systems have been going downhill after the N64, I'm just waiting for them to get beat out by sony or microsoft. They've been last in popularity for a long time.

Years
  • PS3 is gonna blow wii out of the water

Actually, that is debatable. ATI said that the graphics of the Wii that were shown at E3 were only the tip of the iceberg, so the Wii could end up with good graphics. Also, price is a major factor. $600 for one system? Uh-uh. $600 for 2 systems? Ohhh Yeahh!

Besides the fact that the PS3 was under construction long before the wii.

Umm... Sony truly started work on the PS3 after Nintendo started work on the Wii.

So therefore any similarities where copied by Nintendo, not sony

Wrong. The Dual Shake is an off copy of the Wiimote. See, Sony as been copying Nintendo for years. Take the analog stick. Popularized by Nintendo, stolen by Sony.

Next time, get your facts right before posting.

Orophin

Gamer
    Years
  • Hiccup said:
    Actually, that is debatable. ATI said that the graphics of the Wii that were shown at E3 were only the tip of the iceberg, so the Wii could end up with good graphics. Also, price is a major factor. $600 for one system? Uh-uh. $600 for 2 systems? Ohhh Yeahh!

Sure it's expensive, but from what I've seen, It'll be worth it.

Hiccup said:
    Umm... Sony truly started work on the PS3 after Nintendo started work on the Wii.

According to whom? Not according to everything I've read.

Hiccup said:
    Wrong. The Dual Shake is an off copy of the Wiimote. See, Sony as been copying Nintendo for years. Take the analog stick. Popularized by Nintendo, stolen by Sony.

The N64, Nintedo's first system to use the analog stick was released in 1996, a year after the PS1 came out. Therefore, sony had the analog stick first. Don't believe me? Check wikipedia. And isn't dual shake just a better version of the rumble feature, also available on PS1, a year before N64.

Hiccup said:
    Next time, get your facts right before posting.

Same to you.:P

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Orophin said:
    PS3 a copy off wii? What world are you living in? PS3 is gonna blow wii out of the water. wii just looks like a glorified TV controller. Besides the fact that the PS3 was under construction long before the wii. So therefore any similarities where copied by Nintendo, not sony.
    Erm, Sony had presented a boomerang as a controller, then a few months after the Wii control was revealed they changed it to the old Playstation contoller with motion sensors thrown in. The same type of motion sensors used by Nintendo years ago in Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble for the Game Boy Color.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I thought the Dual Shock controllers were released as a secondary peripheral AFTER the release of the Playstation and the N64. (Released in 1998 according to Wikipedia, a YEAR after the release of the Rumble Pak, released in 1997.) Also, it's stupid to base who thought of what first based on which announced their console first. I was under the impression that Playstation 3 was assumed to be in production for years.

Years
  • According to whom? Not according to everything I've read.

What have you been reading? A document you made yourself? The prodution of the Cell processor didn't start until after E3 2005. The Wii was in development way before that.

The N64, Nintedo's first system to use the analog stick was released in 1996, a year after the PS1 came out. Therefore, sony had the analog stick first. Don't believe me? Check wikipedia. And isn't dual shake just a better version of the rumble feature, also available on PS1, a year before N64.

Yeah, I do check Wikipedia, and sometimes it is not always correct. The DualShock, as stated before, was released 1 year after the rumle pak was introduced.

So all you did was prove you are a fanboy.

Anyway, people, please get your facts right before posting. If you don't, yu just prove you are a noob.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
  • I think your all crazy...

Seriously the Wii...is gonna be awesome because of the controler...Shooting arrows with link...can't wait.

The PS3 will be awesome because they stuck with the awesome controller...but yes they did copy nintendo at the last second via the motion censor...who cares.

and well microsoft...ahhem...yeah...where are you...?

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Orophin said:
    PS3 a copy off wii? What world are you living in? PS3 is gonna blow wii out of the water. wii just looks like a glorified TV controller. Besides the fact that the PS3 was under construction long before the wii. So therefore any similarities where copied by Nintendo, not sony.
    Fanboy alert, fanboy alert.

PS3 is gonna blow Wii out of the water? Funny that, because just about every report I've read on the PS3 and Wii from unbiased media have said how the Wii is completely innovative and is gonna be a huge success, as well as being pretty underwhelmed by the PS3.

The only people who seem to expect the PS3 to be downright incredible are fanboys, like you.

The world and its dog knows that Sony take Nintendo's ideas. "Wii just looks like a glorified TV controller." And the PS1/2/3 controller just looks like a glorified SNES controller. And, yes, Nintendo released the anologue stick before Sony. Sony released the PS1 with this controller:

And then after Nintendo released the N64 WITH an analogue stick, Sony came and released this:

And, as Shadow said, Sony poorly ripped off Nintendo's motion sensing. Even going as far as to go back on the boomerang design to incorporate it. Face it, Sony don't know what they're doing. They just take a Nintendo idea and then add beefy graphics to it. As that saying goes: "Nintendo innovate, Sony replicate."

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, unlike many people here, I'm gonna wait until the PS3 comes out and see it in action before I make ANY judgements.

And as for Sony stealing Nintendo's stuff all the time... well, it works. That's why Sony is still on top.

Pmasta397

aka DA PARADOX
    Years
  • uummmmmm...... PS3 will be one of the best consoles ever sure some of the features may look "familiar" but Sony has potiential and is now for really surprising customers and competetors alike. the only slight problem is money hey im the average guy when it comes to money but i know it will all be worth it.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Pmasta397 said:
    uummmmmm...... PS3 will be one of the best consoles ever sure some of the features may look "familiar" but Sony has potiential and is now for really surprising customers and competetors alike. the only slight problem is money hey im the average guy when it comes to money but i know it will all be worth it.
    Well, obviously it's going to be "one of the best consoles ever". The consoles get better with each generation, not worse. What you judge them on is how much better they have gotten from the previous incarnation.

PS3 is essentially the PS2 with boosted graphics, blu ray player and HD and a poor ripoff of the Wii controller, which is very much a gimmick which probably wont be used very often by developers. And it seems to me that Sony has shown everything that the PS3 can do, and the general consensus seems to be an underwhelming sigh.

(I was gonna make a long Wii reply here, but I just realised this thread is specifically for PS3).

Mario The World Champion said:
    And as for Sony stealing Nintendo's stuff all the time... well, it works. That's why Sony is still on top.
    And that's exactly why Sony will be doomed to fail. Nintendo has been revealing details about their consoles a lot slower lately, meaning the Sony thieves find it more difficult to steal Nintendo's innovative ideas. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be even less forthcoming with Wii's successor, meaning that Sony will finally have to think for itself. which we know, it can't do.

Years
  • why would it matte THIS much?....heck,if I'm able to play my fav.game on Ps3 with all that stuff,I'm happy....how come you guys aren't?...

Well, for one, I am not paying $600 to get a system just for one or two games. And, on top of that, games are going to be $70+. I also highly doubt that you can afford these rediculous prices.

Also, for two, it is a Sony product, so it will probably break the third day you have it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    Pmasta397 said:
    uummmmmm...... PS3 will be one of the best consoles ever sure some of the features may look "familiar" but Sony has potiential and is now for really surprising customers and competetors alike. the only slight problem is money hey im the average guy when it comes to money but i know it will all be worth it.
    Well, not really. Game developers have already testified to the fact that there will be little to no differences graphically between X Box 360 and the PS3, so it's already more expensive when compared to something of the same power graphically.

The Wii is really popular because of the innovative new features and low price. Nintendo said "Why the heck do we need to try and top them in areas where it'll barely be noticable and just drive the price WAY up" and focused on new ideas and developments.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Before I make another one of my great pwning posts I got to say a few things. It's 1 am, I'm half asleep. And I'm getting all three systems.

Now I just loveeee fanboys like Orophin. They'll go around running their mouth and know nothing on what they're talking about.

Orophin said:
    PS3 a copy off wii? What world are you living in?
    More like what world are you living in? Sony has been ripping off Nintendo's stuff since the first PS.

Orophin said:
    PS3 is gonna blow wii out of the water.
    I'll give you a link to another one of my posts. You're a fanboy so you'll likely not understand a lick of it, but I'll give it anyway.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2101208&postcount=55

Orophin said:
    wii just looks like a glorified TV controller. Besides the fact that the PS3 was under construction long before the wii.
    You don't even know what the Wii's controller will do. You think it's stupid and you go with that, you are a normal Sony fanboy.
    And prove to me that the PS3 was worked on long before the Wii.

Orophin said:
    So therefore any similarities where copied by Nintendo, not sony.
    Wow you are screwed in the head.
    Since this is about the PS3 I'll go with it.
    You remember the old boomerang PS3 controller, it didn't have anything to do with motion sensors. But then at the TGS Nintendo came out with it's controller, told what it'll be able to do. And low and behold Sony's "new" controller has motion sensors sort of like the Wii. Now if you're stupid enough to think Nintendo took that from Sony then you need a lesson in
    "101 What came first, Nintendo or Sony?".

Orophin said:
    Cause PS3 was officially announced to be under construction at least a year, if not 2 before wii.
    Sure it was....

Orophin said:
    Nintendo's systems have been going downhill after the N64, I'm just waiting for them to get beat out by sony or microsoft. They've been last in popularity for a long time.
    If you mean the GC then sure, you'll find a good many Nintendo fans saying that the GC wasn't as good as it should have been. But by the looks of it you mean all systems, even the handhelds. If so then you couldn't be more wrong. When it comes to sells (with the handhelds) did you know Nintnedo takes the cake? It has like 16 Mil DS sells, it outsells the PS2 and PSP in Japan. If they've been last in popularity then I sure as hell hate to see what Sony and Microsoft is.

Orophin said:
    Sure it's expensive, but from what I've seen, It'll be worth it.
    Sure it will, we'll all put that 1K Blu-Ray CD player to use, we'll all love how we got to pay 60-70 dollars per game, we'll all love how we got to get a second job or sell our car to buy a PS3 and a few games.

Orophin said:
    I love how stupid fanboys like you are, you don't even know the history of your own system.
    History lesson.

In 1994 (Dec 3rd) the Sony PlayStation came out in Japan. It's controller looked like this (I should know, I got one).

In 1996 (June 23rd) the N64 came out in Japan, what did it have? It had an analog stick and a rumble pack.

This is called the Dual Analog (me thinks without rumble), and then later the Dual Shock (this one with rumble) it was Sony's reply to Nintendo.

Would you like to know when they came out?
    Dual Analog: April of 97
    Dual Shock: December of 97
    A year after Nintendo had their system out there with an analog stick and rumble. I find it quite hard that Nintendo took the rumble and analog from Sony when Sony had nothing on it.

Orophin said:
    Same to you.:P
    You know how stupid you look?

Pmasta397 said:
    "surprising customers and competetors alike" I totally agree with you. I was totally surprised when I heard the price was going to be 600 bucks, and I think all the competitors were the same. Sony sure did shock us all.

I would make some long Nintendo reply, but all of you know how I feel about the PS3 and the Wii. So there's no need to do it.
    I'm getting a PS3 and a Wii, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Arcanine said:
    And I'm getting all three systems.
    Holy Koffings, Crobatman, Arcany is rich. O_O

But yes, the price tag is a huge impact on this. Sorry kiddies, but mommy won't pay that much for a PS3, when for the same amount of money she can get you a Wii and an X-Box 360.

Also, another thing against this (remembered this when I heard about the verdict against them), Grand Theft Auto. Yup, the game that perhaps sold many PS2s. But now, there was the huge fuss over "Hot coffee," and even though GTA is now on PC and X-Box, as well as PS, it is most commonly recognized as a PS game, and parents (as little as they know about gaming) will be quite reluctant to buy their children a console (money or not) famous for a series with hidden sex mini-games. Yes, there was controversy with 3, but it pales in comparison to what came out of the Hot Coffee mod (hence the possible $79 billion fine that would be imposed if something else like that was found in San Andreas now).

Years
  • Well, does anybody know the story of how Sony got into the game wars in the first place?

It's all Nintendo's fault.

They made a deal with Sony back during the development of the SNES to make a CD-rom add on to the system. However, when the Sega CD failed to take off, Nintendo got spooked by it and terminated the deal with Sony, right before the 1991 CES show and they signed with Philips to make the SNES CD add on. However, this deal ultimately ended up dead.

Instead of letting their research go to waste, Sony went ahead and started making their own CD-rom based video game system. And while both Sony and Nintendo reconciled and started work on an SNES port to its system, Sony knew that the next generation of gaming technology was fast approaching, dropped the SNES port and the aging SNES technology and the gaming world was changed forever once the PlayStation took over

So, in short... if Nintendo never stabbed Sony in the back like they did... the PlayStation would not be here and Nintendo would still rule the gaming world.

Back