• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PS3: Worldwide Launch!

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
  • IGN said:
    March 14, 2006 - Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

Once released, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

Check soon for more.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

1 million units a month.. its pretty much gone from a speculated release date for North America and Japan, to a full blown worldwide launch.

Discuss!

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • The fact is, I really don't care when the PS3 comes out. Sure I'm getting it, but this story really shot me down when I read it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145076.html

It's the part about the Blu-Ray player being $1,000 dollars. Sure the PS3 isn't going to cost 1K, but that 1K price tag is for a normal player. Think of something that has it built in (how much will the price tag be? $500? $600? $700? $800? More?). I'm going to get it, maybe Christmas of next year (if that thing is over 500 bucks I'm going to wait till next year when the price goes down. I'm getting all three systems, plus a DSLite, games, and other things, I don't got that kind of money).

Years
  • I'm going to do the smart thing and wait a few years for the prices of all three systems to go down before I'll pounce on them.

The first run of PS3s will be buggy. It's best to wait a year or two for much improved versions to come out. But, that's just me.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
  • I was kind of blow away when I checked my e-mail...gamespot's news letter was about the PS3...a worldwide release this year in November (I think) of the PS3...thats amazing...

Either way I still have high hopes for the PS3...I'll just wait and see...

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • I'm glad that this is happening and hoping that we don't get a "last minute release date change", but I don't know.. I think Sony is taking a big risk with having a worldwide launch, shipping so many systems on the day of launch can cause some serious supply and demand issues.. hopefully Sony has something up their sleeve to make it work.

But like Arcanine said, the PS3 will definitely not be cheap with this new Blu-ray disc format alone, and the already expensive "cell" chip in it. I'm expecting to see at least a $500 price tag.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Maybe even more than that. Samsung's first Blu-ray player was retailed at $1000 US. And, since the technology is expensive, games wil be $70 upward.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Bad news I'm afraid. I heard last night that the PS3's release date has been put back until November. The rumour is though, that they are looking to do a simultaneous worldwide release.

Bearing in mind the earliest release date for a PS3 game I can find (Google) is October, it's not too much of a surprise.

Last edited:

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
  • PS3= Bad idea. Sony sucks, they don't know how to code a videogame, all of their consoles break with a single scratch, no good videogames, and now they try to make a Blu-ray console meaning it will be really expensive. If a PS2 costs a bit more than 400 dollars in Argentina, I can't imagine how much will cost a PS3.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • Don Patch said:
    Maybe even more than that. Samsung's first Blu-ray player was retailed at $1000 US. And, since the technology is expensive, games wil be $70 upward.

Thats what worries me about this Blu-ray format.. yes it holds quite a bit of data on one disc, but I can just already imagine what a 1st party game would cost.

I'll definitely buy the PS3 when it comes out, but I'll just wait a few months and see if there are any problems with the first ones that are released.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • I'll get one at launch if there are any decent games available. I'm not the sort to buy any old rubbish just so I have something to play.

Years
  • That is an extremely bad idea. I got my PSP at launch and it didn't even work (the screen was completely broken). When my friend got his PS2 at lauch, it had that stupid "Disc Read Error." So please take my advise and wait a little while.

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
  • Bah, I'm somewhat peeved they held it off. But that means I have more time to save money to buy it! I'll also wait before buying it, 'cause knowing how companies work, it'll be MAD expensive as soon as it comes out, and many glitches with the system. And unless it allows you to play PS1 and PS2 games just like the PS2, the games will either be rated "M" (something I can't play) or just dull. So maybe around my birthday, a couple months after November, I'll get it...

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • Wolf_Goddess said:
    Bah, I'm somewhat peeved they held it off. But that means I have more time to save money to buy it! I'll also wait before buying it, 'cause knowing how companies work, it'll be MAD expensive as soon as it comes out, and many glitches with the system. And unless it allows you to play PS1 and PS2 games just like the PS2, the games will either be rated "M" (something I can't play) or just dull. So maybe around my birthday, a couple months after November, I'll get it...

Yup.. its been announced by Sony to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games, so it'll be fully backwards compatible. ^^

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
  • Kyosuke said:
    Yup.. its been announced by Sony to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games, so it'll be fully backwards compatible. ^^

Ah yes! Thank you Sony! ^.^ So that means I will definately get it. But where would we put the PS2 when we get it? In my parents room? Hmm...we can't just throw it out. At least I'm not getting a Revolution, so the GameCube could stay put in the basement...

But of course, I'll see if there are any games specifically for the PS3 that pick my interest before I buy it. If not, then why bother? ^.^

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Personally I am not wasting any more money on console systems. I am only investing in handheld from now on. I had a DS then traded it for a PSP but I am gonna buy a used reg DS once they DSlite comes out.

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
  • REVOLUTION!!! This is the onli thing im gonna buy!!! Revo is amazing... I'm craving resident evil on that controller!!!

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • You know what'd be funny? If it DIDN'T come out on November.

I wouldn't dare buy one anyway. I'd take the overheating 360 over it. There's alot of problems BOTH consoles have. Not to mention they both run on the old Power PC CPUs.

Back