• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Purpose of Member Fan Clubs

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    i thought this said "propose to a member" and i was like IM ALL OVER THAT. then i got let down.

I miss Member fanclubs solely because I had one that my friends could spam and we could have great fun in togetherness. But it was just that. Spam.

Sooo, I'm not really upset at all that they were taken down. VMs are basically the same thing, if not more convenient. Yeah it's a bit harder to have a conversation with a lot of people, but having VMs defeats the purpose of a member fanclub.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Mmmhmm.

I met my first friends here thanks to member fanclubs existing, because I had one, ran one, and participated in a few more. Though, it was organized chaos, and well.. spam, like Igiko said. The purpose of that area was to create a way to meet people, and chit-chat. These days the same can be done through VMs, and if you wanna talk to more than one person at time and group chat, that's why so many people go ahead and add PC friends on messenger clients..

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years

Well, huh, Nick himself is Higher Staff (and so am I), and we do post often, so it's not like we are weird martians who hide in a cave and only randomly visit the surface to ban people XD

And I'm sorry, but a forum which only got 55 posts in a month (not even two a day, and most of them from the same small group of regulars) and had only seen one new thread created in 4 months is not really worth keeping. If a TV show was only being watched by 10,000 people, I know those few people would miss it, but the station would figure that it's not worth keeping at all. And that's what we did, I'm sorry. 99% of the posts made in those forums are just "Hey what's up", "Happy birthday!" or "Hey, what do you think about lettuce?" and that can effortlessly be asked on VM's- in fact, that's what everybody did once they were introduced, and that's the main reason for MF's downfall. And, in some way, VM's are more open for everybody and easier to use so I'll stay with them.
    Sorry, I thought higher staff meant those with Red names and above. Didn't mean to point at Super Moderators. Yes I see you guys.

You don't post there, so how would you know? I'm pretty lax with the DCC in Other Chat, It's purpose is to be a laid back, hangout thread with light discussion.

We're not going to be bringing back personal spam pits. Either deal with that, or I humbly direct you to the log-out button in the top-right hand corner of your screen.
    >_> Don't you ever feel like there's times you're bothering them in DCC? People are different, after all, hence why I'd like more options.

Oh, and to clarify again, logging out is what I'm trying to avoid hence why I made the effort of making this thread in the first place.

Normally I'd be open to bringing stuff back but the Member Fanclubs were just awful, awful things.
    You think they're too spammy and needless?

If member fanclubs were what mainly held you to PC, then I'm sorry that they're gone, and we know that there were a handful or two of members who still felt attached to that area. The thing is we watched that area die down, a lot, and plenty of it's regulars even said they left the area and all their threads because VMs was much easier and they preferred that. I enjoyed that area too, it was just losing too much activity.

At the same time, if PC still really truly interests you then I'd bet you could find other topics to post in. Hang around OVP more, or game areas, etc. If you get into it enough then some other aspects can make up for member fanclubs being gone.

And I'm sorry if I ignored other posts / points in this thread, I'm about to leave for work. Rushed! D:
    I suppose hope is the main reason to stay, not MFC activity.

Thing is most people who replied called MFC spam but I treated it differently. For example, take a glimsp the 2 most recent MFCs I took big part pf:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200120
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133478

^ You can't actually call that spam right? I was earnest trying to get trying to make fun threads.

While we're all-ears for providing environments for posting as people demand it, as you might see if you wade through some pages of CQ&F (most recently, someone suggested splitting OE, for example) we've turned down things based on whether we see a need for them or not.

I'd like to see your suggestions in opening more avenues for discussion, but I don't see any purpose in simply having member-oriented "random" discussions as you seem to be trying to bring up. If we believe a new idea is worth trying, we might follow through with it.

There were a lot of factors taken into account to the removal of Member Fanclubs. Don't think this would be a decision done on a whim.
    The purpose when entering a Member Fan Club is the crowd, or social group that's there, or "home." It's just something to make up for the large diversity of PC members today. Diversity is a great asset of course, just that it leaves an alienation problem which I'm trying to say Member Fan Clubs could help make up for, instead of just relying on VMing. It's nice to know there's at least a few threads one can easily fit into. Today that nice feeling is replaced by having people to VM. Great, but like I said, I'd really rather somewhere to post so that it's more natural for others to join too.

Contrary to popular belief, decisions aren't made on bias. They're usually discussed and analyzed from all perspectives for a great deal amount of time before a decision is made and implemented. Being active and posting in the forum isn't necessarily needed to know what's best for it. Like Jake said, this wasn't done on a whim, and decisions that impact the community never are.

I know, and I totally get that. I do. But to bring back member fan clubs so many things need to happen other than you just preferring posting to VMs, which is what my last point was mainly about. There needs to be a demand and sufficient need for it other than just preferring one to the other.
    lol all right. Until more people miss MFC then.

I agree with Nick and Jake here, the bottom line is PC can't simply open up sections for a tiny minority of members. The decision to abolish the section in the past was not based on a whim. It simply ran its course and no longer found a place on the forum; it simply became outdated and it became a section that was simply a haven to a few members.

I understand that you may feel hard done by, but you can't point fingers and say the section was taken down by carelessness. If we were to create a section for a very small base of members, then it would be quite subjective as it would mean sections would need to be created for any small group of members who decided they wanted one. Member Fan Clubs simply ran its course and became an inactive section in which became an inactive sub forum with very little activity. Bringing it back would only lead to the same end result.

If you wish to find a place for all your friends to chat, well, it's the internet, your options are endless. You could even set up your own irc channel for your PC pals. But basically; a section cannot simply exist if it has little or no activity and a very small demand to actually exist.
    It could be different now. There's a flood of new members after every game release after all. Why not give MFC a try again some time, if only temporary? There could be more people like me who could use that forum.

o_O I'm talking out of concern for a more fun forum, private solutions IRC are besides the point.

i thought this said "propose to a member" and i was like IM ALL OVER THAT. then i got let down.

I miss Member fanclubs solely because I had one that my friends could spam and we could have great fun in togetherness. But it was just that. Spam.

Sooo, I'm not really upset at all that they were taken down. VMs are basically the same thing, if not more convenient. Yeah it's a bit harder to have a conversation with a lot of people, but having VMs defeats the purpose of a member fanclub.
    I didn't treat MFC as spam though:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200120
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133478

Mmmhmm.

I met my first friends here thanks to member fanclubs existing, because I had one, ran one, and participated in a few more. Though, it was organized chaos, and well.. spam, like Igiko said. The purpose of that area was to create a way to meet people, and chit-chat. These days the same can be done through VMs, and if you wanna talk to more than one person at time and group chat, that's why so many people go ahead and add PC friends on messenger clients..

IRC, MSN and the such are private solutions which lack the purpose of potentially meeting more people on PC through one's social activities here. It'd be a different story I had to option of entering any MSN convo you create like the case on the forums.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    IRC is open to anyone that knows how to log on, by either clicking the chat button or going to Mibbit and logging on that way. You could even put it into your signature "If you're a fan of X member, join #IloveX" or whatever it is you want clubs back for. There are also 7 Chit-Chat threads (Trade Corner, Competitive Battling Center, Challenges, Pokemon General, Art Gallery, Culture & Media, and OC), and various other threads that aren't chit-chat but you can still meet people through based on your interests. If after all those options you still can't find one thing that interests you, I hate to say that it might not be a problem with the site. :x

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    IRC is open to anyone that knows how to log on, by either clicking the chat button or going to Mibbit and logging on that way. You could even put it into your signature "If you're a fan of X member, join #IloveX" or whatever it is you want clubs back for. There are also 7 Chit-Chat threads (Trade Corner, Competitive Battling Center, Challenges, Pokemon General, Art Gallery, Culture & Media, and OC), and various other threads that aren't chit-chat but you can still meet people through based on your interests. If after all those options you still can't find one thing that interests you, I hate to say that it might not be a problem with the site. :x
    But none of those are Member Fan Clubs

Just because you didn't treat them as spam parties, doesn't mean everyone else didn't either.

I know I did, lolz.
    Spam parties are pretty good things still if they're still fun parties.

Yes I know what you mean, hence why my idea isn't popular ~_~

Bothering whom? It's not like people are being physically forced to post there. You have plenty of options.
    Yes but I don't like interrupting when it seems... they'd be much better off without me. Anyway, I guess that's my own social problem.

Well MFC would be a nice option.

Years
    >_> Don't you ever feel like there's times you're bothering them in DCC? People are different, after all, hence why I'd like more options.

Believe me, you're never bothering anyone in a general chit-chat thread on PC just by posting there. If no one talks to you, you've either brought up something they know very little about or the people who've made it a point to frequent the thread aren't on. In your case, your post count probably intimidates newer members more than you realize. Many newer members think a post count of 1000 is quite high, let alone a post count over 8,000 like yours or mine.

Back