• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about 2016 championship decks

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I truly want to participate in the worlds, but it's a bad time unless you play "Nekroz" a deck that's basically insta-win and costs about $500-$1000 to build (DEFINITELY not worth it)

EDIT: for some reason people are now selling Nekroz extremely cheap, they haven't been banned though, which is odd.

So you're telling me your $17 winning deck didn't come top 8 at worlds? But that a $500-$1000 deck did?

Are you seeing where this is going?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    So you're telling me your $17 winning deck didn't come top 8 at worlds? But that a $500-$1000 deck did?

Are you seeing where this is going?

No, my top 8 deck was a winner back in 2012 (when I got the deck as well) the $500-$1000 deck was the winner for the past 2 years.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I haven't gone to worlds, I said I built a replica cheaper than Pokemon competitive deck replicas cost.

So what deck, from that top 8 list, did you build?

Because all of those decks were $200> in 2012.

You can make Yanmega BREAK for $17 if you cut out the breaks and shaymins, but see how well it does. If you can't understand why your earlier comments were asinine then I'm not sure there's any answers here for you that will be of any help.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    So what deck, from that top 8 list, did you build?

Because all of those decks were $200> in 2012.

You can make Yanmega BREAK for $17 if you cut out the breaks and shaymins, but see how well it does. If you can't understand why your earlier comments were asinine then I'm not sure there's any answers here for you that will be of any help.

Wind-up is what I built, it cost me $20, they released the most expensive card in a tin like 3 days later, so the price dropped dramatically.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Wind-up is what I built, it cost me $20, they released the most expensive card in a tin like 3 days later, so the price dropped dramatically.

Yes, which Pokemon does all the time as well.

But you're expecting tpci to release entire decks as cheap reprints and tournament legal and then seem confused that no one with even the most basic level of business sense would ever do this.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    Yes, which Pokemon does all the time as well.

But you're expecting tpci to release entire decks as cheap reprints and tournament legal and then seem confused that no one with even the most basic level of business sense would ever do this.

My deck was still legal for like 2 years afterwards, once again $20 competitive deck, worth it!

$200 or more competitive..... Not worth it.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    My deck was still legal for like 2 years afterwards, once again $20 competitive deck, worth it!

That's completely subjective. You just copied someone else's deck. These guys who get to top 8 work their way up, testing and building for months. Then there's the fact worlds has a $25,000 payout to the winner and several smaller cash prizes for the top 32.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2016/pokemon-world-championships-prizes/

If yu gi oh is so cheap then play that. But stop whinging about a game you don't seem to understand or want to understand.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    That's completely subjective. You just copied someone else's deck. These guys who get to top 8 work their way up, testing and building for months. Then there's the fact worlds has a $25,000 payout to the winner and several smaller cash prizes for the top 32.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2016/pokemon-world-championships-prizes/

If yu gi oh is so cheap then play that. But stop whinging about a game you don't seem to understand or want to understand.

I want to play Pokemon AND understand it, but it's SO expensive.

Years
    I get my cards from TCGPlayer and Troll and Toad, they sell only ones that aren't pre-owned for like $8, a card costing that much isn't worth it IMO, as that's $24 for 3.

What about the pre-owned ones? $8 is a stupid high price to pay for a card that's in like 5 different sets. I guarantee you that you can find it much cheaper. At least, if you're in America.

This $200 deck thing for EVERY top-tier deck is actually very abnormal for Pokemon, and is pretty much down to Shaymin. Half that price is much more normal year in and year out, unless a card is super game-breaking/game-changing and also has a rarity like EX or the past equivalents to EX.

You can get competitive decks for much cheaper, though it would take a seriously dedicated (and financially committed) player to qualify for Worlds in their first full competitive season, since you basically have to be collecting Challenge Points all season.

The real question is, do all of your friends use Shaymin in abundance?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    What about the pre-owned ones? $8 is a stupid high price to pay for a card that's in like 5 different sets. I guarantee you that you can find it much cheaper. At least, if you're in America.

This $200 deck thing for EVERY top-tier deck is actually very abnormal for Pokemon, and is pretty much down to Shaymin. Half that price is much more normal year in and year out, unless a card is super game-breaking/game-changing and also has a rarity like EX or the past equivalents to EX.

You can get competitive decks for much cheaper, though it would take a seriously dedicated (and financially committed) player to qualify for Worlds in their first full competitive season, since you basically have to be collecting Challenge Points all season.

The real question is, do all of your friends use Shaymin in abundance?

They use shaymin, Ash-Greninja/Greninja BREAK, M Mewtwo EX, need I go on?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    They use shaymin, Ash-Greninja/Greninja BREAK, M Mewtwo EX, need I go on?

If they're using Ash-Greninja EX unironically then they shouldn't be too hard to overcome. It's not a card that sees any level of play really anywhere.

Years

Wow man, dont get into MTG that's all I can say, standard deck is like $500-600
    Hearing that a competitive pokemon standard deck is like on average $100-200 seems crazy to me, and thats going to last you a long time before it rotates - all depends how much you want to use it I guess

But yeah $20 for a competitive deck? In an ideal world, but if cards were that cheap then a company wouldn't make any money - rarities would have to be skewed and the market saturated, people wouldn't buy product and the company would fold.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Wow man, dont get into MTG that's all I can say, standard deck is like $500-600
    Hearing that a competitive pokemon standard deck is like on average $100-200 seems crazy to me, and thats going to last you a long time before it rotates - all depends how much you want to use it I guess

But yeah $20 for a competitive deck? In an ideal world, but if cards were that cheap then a company wouldn't make any money - rarities would have to be skewed and the market saturated, people wouldn't buy product and the company would fold.

yeah, in relative terms Pokemon is probably the cheapest big TCG to get into

Back