• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions on the future of pokemon card

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2017
    So recently ive started to collect pokemon cards again specifically the Full arts. Now, my first question is do full arts over time increase in value as the packs that they come in are discontinued? Second, what does the term '' pokemon card cycle'' mean? Third, are cards like N from Noble Victories and Full ART from Dark Explorers worth getting now or perhaps later? Thanks

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Cards rarely see massive increases in value. Some Full Arts will. N is going to stay around the same price until it rotates from play, then it'll drop. Pokemon isn't like other collectibles, the value is very much decided on playability and then availability. Shaymin EX is a good example of this.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2017
    I see, how come the full arts in Dark explorer and the 2 gold cards in LT are so expensive shouldnt that rotate out already , it has been approx 3 years since it was released.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2017
    also do you think FULL ARTs that arent compatible with the meta be sold for 5 dollar each ?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    I see, how come the full arts in Dark explorer and the 2 gold cards in LT are so expensive shouldnt that rotate out already , it has been approx 3 years since it was released.

N got a reprint as both a promo and in Fates Collide, meaning it did rotate out but has since been reintroduced to the format.

also do you think FULL ARTs that arent compatible with the meta be sold for 5 dollar each ?

Absolutely. They're no more rare than any other ultra (BREAKs and EXs for example) and if they have no competitive value then they really don't deserve any great financial value either.

Like there's a reason Kingdra EX's full art sells for less than a single uncommon VS Seeker

Years

Completely depends on the Pokemon on the card. A card's price is also affected by the popularity of the Pokemon on it since a lot of collectors, both the casual and the more serious, will covet certain Pokemon more than others. The "Charizard premium" is an observable affect that impacts prices of Charizard cards, even if the Charizard is not really all that good, since Charizard is a popular Pokemon. It also happens with other Pokemon, too, but generally less pronounced than it is with Charizard. I'm fairly certain that Mewtwo cards are more expensive than the exact same card (as in same HP, same attacks, same retreat cost, same set, etc) would be for a newer legendary like Deoxys.

Also the Dark Explorers stuff is still legal in Expanded in addition to some of the cards having reprints that are legal in Standard.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2017
    Completely depends on the Pokemon on the card. A card's price is also affected by the popularity of the Pokemon on it since a lot of collectors, both the casual and the more serious, will covet certain Pokemon more than others. The "Charizard premium" is an observable affect that impacts prices of Charizard cards, even if the Charizard is not really all that good, since Charizard is a popular Pokemon. It also happens with other Pokemon, too, but generally less pronounced than it is with Charizard. I'm fairly certain that Mewtwo cards are more expensive than the exact same card (as in same HP, same attacks, same retreat cost, same set, etc) would be for a newer legendary like Deoxys.

Also the Dark Explorers stuff is still legal in Expanded in addition to some of the cards having reprints that are legal in Standard.

Wow, so to start off, i really appreciate all who took the time to answer my questions, much love.
    But one thing that still remains is The Dark Explorer is still being used in the meta however the packs which you can get them from is no longer printed, so my question is should i wait to purchase them ? I do not play Pokemon, I just collect for fun. The reason im debating on whether to get it now or later is because as the years go by it might raise in value thus making it hard for me to add it into my collection.
    I also forgot when im talking about these cards i mean only FULL ARTS, i dont collect the regular cards.

Last edited:
    Years
    Wow, so to start off, i really appreciate all who took the time to answer my questions, much love.
    But one thing that still remains is The Dark Explorer is still being used in the meta however the packs which you can get them from is no longer printed, so my question is should i wait to purchase them ? I do not play Pokemon, I just collect for fun. The reason im debating on whether to get it now or later is because as the years go by it might raise in value thus making it hard for me to add it into my collection.
    I also forgot when im talking about these cards i mean only FULL ARTS, i dont collect the regular cards.

Really depends on which ones. The ones not being used in the meta should be worth your time now. The others will probably be worth waiting on. Except maybe N, since it seems like it might be a new reprint staple going forward.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2017
    cards in meta should be sold off as soon as possible as they are at their highest value. once the cycle out of meta they will be worth a fraction of their origional cost because they arent able to be used anymore.

mainly charizards, some pikachus and certain "cute" hold their value rather well because they are always wanted by the common collector. The thing you need to ask yourself when determine if you should buy a card to hold on to, or sell now is, Is it in meta? (current tournament deck build) is it one of the 3 listed above? and lastly is it nostalgic (Base set) Originals tend to always hold their value in everything. Just remember, keep them mint! no one wants your beat up cards!

Back