• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Rosepuggins

Master Trainer
    Years
    i'm trying to capture mesprit. and it's annoying.
    i've used gengar's mean look + i've used hypnosis.
    it has literally no hp (you nearly can't see the red)
    and... after 40 ultra balls, it still isn't captured.
    i have 60 left... is there anything wrong?
    additional info: it usually doesn't rumble at all, sometimes once.

I encountered Mesprit many times after I got its HP down to like one, and tried every type of ball over and over, with no success. Then I remembered in Silver that using Tail Whip until the Pokemon's defense was as low as it would go seemed to help with the capture. So I made a few more tries, Tail Whipping until Mesprit's defense was bottomed out, then caught it with a quick ball on the first toss. (I've been told bottoming out defense and evasiveness doesn't work, but you can try it and let me know it it helps. De-fog lowers evasiveness and seems to work even better.)

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Hold up, explain what you mean by you can't trade them. I may be able to help.

natedogg

Ahhh, it's so hot...
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 16, 2011
    quick questoin does the move "return" have full power over wifi even if the pokemon is not a max happiness?

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Fire: Growlithe (if you have Firered) or Ponyta. Also, Magmarizer is available immediately in Platinum, and you don't need to dongle to get Magmar.

Water: Vaporeon, Floatzel, Empoleon, or Tentacool.

Electric: Electabuzz (Same thing as with Magmar, it's readily available), Rotom (the fridge variation :P), or Luxray.

Flying: Togekiss (Cynthia gives you an egg), Staraptor, Vespiquen, Yanmega, Drifblim, Staraptor, or Gliscor (once again, it becomes available in Platinum).

Ice: Froslass (ftw), Weavile (ftw), Mamoswine (ftw), Abomasnow, Glalie.

Ghost: Dusknoir, Froslass, Drifblim, Spiritomb, Rotom.

Most ghosts, as you can see, are also a part of other types that you want. I suggest that you get Froslass as both your Ice-type and Ghost, because then you'll have room for Torterra which, in my opinion, is much better than Empoleon.

*Note: Growlithe is only available if you use the dual-slot mode (also called "dongling") and put Firered in the GBA slot of the DS Lite while wanderng routes 201 and 202. If you want to see the other locations, look up the Pokémon on Bulbapedia or Serebii.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    question about EV's

if i used the berry which reduces (insert stat here) can i use that empty space to get the pokemon (other EV's except one previous one)? Say i reduce Defense, can i use the space to increase the Special Defense stat? or does can it only remain with defense stat?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    question about EV's

if i used the berry which reduces (insert stat here) can i use that empty space to get the pokemon (other EV's except one previous one)? Say i reduce Defense, can i use the space to increase the Special Defense stat? or does can it only remain with defense stat?

Yes you can do that. If you reduce one stat with an EV reducing berry, you are eligible for EV training in any other stat of your wishes.

Edit: Beaten...

GameplayerHGSS

Back to Johto in HeartGold...!
    Years
    I have a question... Does anyone ever end up with the two of the region's starters on their final team? Would that be kinda stupid? I would use Infernape as a sweeper and Torterra for defensive purposes...

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Why cant i catch giratina in distortion world with a ultra ball when his health is less then 1% I threw 8 at him. I dont want to have to waste my master ball, is that the only way to capture one? I also tried a timer ball after like 20 battle turns buts that did not seem to do anything either.

Years
    Noob questions...

Ok so new to pokemon Diamond...havent played since red...so heres my 5 questions...

1. Whats Ev'd or E'vd or whatever it is mean?

2. What is the point of natures? Like Lazy or timid or shy ect.

3. Whats the point of the foods a pokemon likes?

4. How hard is it to find a shinny or how do you get one cause I've never seen one...

5. Can I get all 463 (I thinks thats how many there are) in diamond/pearl/platinum?

Thanks appreciate the help!!!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Why cant i catch giratina in distortion world with a ultra ball when his health is less then 1% I threw 8 at him. I dont want to have to waste my master ball, is that the only way to capture one? I also tried a timer ball after like 20 battle turns buts that did not seem to do anything either.

Well basically it will be by your luck right there. The best thing I would say is to give Giratina a status problem [sleep, poison, etc.] to higher your chances. Then try what ever pokéball you wish to choose and try your luck. Have patience and sooner or later, you'll catch Giratina. Hope this is what you are looking for....

Years
    1. EVs are Effort values, they can give you more stats in an area by defeating certain pokes.
    2. Natures can affect a poke's stats, ex: adamant nature adds atk stats, but lowers sp. atk stat.
    3. If a poke like a certain type of food (ex: dry, spicy, etc) it likes that type of poffin better, this is used for contests
    4. Shinies are very hard to find, they can be slightly easier by using the popkeradar, by chaining a poke for a long ime.
    5. There are actually 493 pokes, and I think you can get all of 'em if you try hard enough.

Back