• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2009
    Chaining for n00bs

Does anyone know a good chaining guide for n00bs? Most of them confuse me...

Thanks!

A.A

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2009
    where on this forum can i find AR (i-cheat) codes for cloning on platinum

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    I can try writing one here :)

After you see all the Pokémons in the Regional Dex(see, not catch), go to Sandgem Town, and talk to Prof. Rowan, then there will be a short Cutscene, where Prof. Oak visits, and you get the Poké Radar/Pokédar, and get your Pokédex upgraded to National mode.
    After this, the two most notable changes are:
    1) If you talk to Lucas(If you're a girl)/Dawn(boy)'s Sister in one of the houses in Sandgem Town, she will tell you that she saw a certain Pokémon on TV at a specific location, if you then go to that location, you will have a ~50-99% extra chance of encountering the Pokémon she mentioned
    2) If you talk to Prof. Oak in Eterna City, you will be able to catch Zapdos, Moltres and Articuno as Runners(Platinum Only)

Now, go to any location with a fairly large patch of grass, i usually use the patch at Valley Windworks, as it's pretty easy both to chain in and to get to.
    Now, Register the Pokédar to the (Y) Button; it's important to keep focused on this.
    You should use a Repel(Super Repel is cheapest per step), as your chain will automatically break if you encounter anything else than what you are chaining.
    The Pokétch App you recieved with the Pokédar will also be useful, as it will notify you if your chain breaks, and also show how long your chain it.
    Now, STAND(no bikes) in the middle of the patch, and press (Y).
    The music will now change to a sort of Jungle-ish theme, and exactly 5 patches of grass will start to shake, sometimes with little sparks on it.

Now you can start chaining.
    Walk into any of the shaking patches of grass and MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER HOW IT SHAKED!
    The patches that shakes wilder, and with more sparks will usually contain rarer Pokémons, or Pokédar-specific Pokés; and a Purple-flashing patch will contain a Shiny(100%!)
    KO the Pokémon that appeared, if you flee, you will break the chain.
    If you did that, 5 patches will once again start shaking, enter the similarily shaking patch, and keep doing that.
    Remember to avoid these patches:
    1) The Patch right behind your character, you can't see these clearly, so you will usually fail if you enter this patch.
    2) Patches in the border of the patch you are chaining in, especially corners.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Does anyone know a good chaining guide for n00bs? Most of them confuse me...

Thanks!

in youtube search bar put

shiny chaining 101

1st one on there.. i would give you the link but i cant post it

Years
    I have a question about migration. I haven't gotten D/P/Pt yet and I'm wondering if migration will affect the power points of my Pokemon, because I worked my butt off maxing all their power points.

I'm expecting the effect of migration to either set the values of all my power points back to default (thereby erasing all my hard work >_<) or, it will set the value to whatever max PP value there is in the new games.

Has anyone noticed anything about this or tested it? Thanks.

MurdaRisk

Ninja Assassin
    Years
    I am working on my first EVed team. I need help on the last slot.

Right now I have Alakazam, Charizard, Swampert, Salamence, and Umbreon.

I was thinking of Skamory for an attack wall. What do you guys think?

Years
    I have a question about migration. I haven't gotten D/P/Pt yet and I'm wondering if migration will affect the power points of my Pokemon, because I worked my butt off maxing all their power points.

I'm expecting the effect of migration to either set the values of all my power points back to default (thereby erasing all my hard work >_<) or, it will set the value to whatever max PP value there is in the new games.

Has anyone noticed anything about this or tested it? Thanks.

They should be exactly the same from when you send them over, to when you get them in the new game.

Years
    In that case, I have a pokemon that knows Giga Drain, and another that knows Recover. I've read that the base PP of both of those moves changes in D/P/Pt, so what'll happen to them?

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    I have a question- Where can I catch a Combee and a Wormadam? They are the 2 pokes I need to fill my dex. and DON'T tell me put honey on trees, it never ever works for me lol.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    I have a question- Where can I catch a Combee and a Wormadam? They are the 2 pokes I need to fill my dex. and DON'T tell me put honey on trees, it never ever works for me lol.

you have to come back to the trees like 8 or 10 hours later

btw, theres a trainer south of vielstone that has wormadam, idk about a trainer with a combee...
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

is there a way to make your pokemon hate you?

like if i wanted to prevent my munchlax from evolving, without using an everstone which would end up hindering its pickup ability

Last edited:

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    Nope, it would be nice if they had an option to speed it up or skip it completely

:t354:TG

That would be impossible, since that is more of a Loading-screen.
    If they skipped that, you would have to watch something else that takes the same time.

In that case, I have a pokemon that knows Giga Drain, and another that knows Recover. I've read that the base PP of both of those moves changes in D/P/Pt, so what'll happen to them?

The game doesn't store the actual amount of PP you have on a move, but instead how many PP Ups you have used on a move and how many PP there is left, and then re-calculates the PP according to the Base PP the game has pre-programmed for the move. That happens every time you take a Pokémon out of a box, so if you have accidentally hacked a Pokémon to have wierd numbers, you can just deposit it and re-withdraw it, for example if a Pokémon has 150/100 HP left, 10/5 PP, or if they have wierd stats, such as having way too much of a certain stat than what is logically possible.

you have to come back to the trees like 8 or 10 hours later

btw, theres a trainer south of vielstone that has wormadam, idk about a trainer with a combee...

The trainer with the Combee is west of Hearthome City, in both DP and Platinum.
    I think the Wormadam trainer has moved in Platinum though...

Last edited:

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    What is the default name of the rival on Diamond/Pearl/Platinum? Leave a message on my wall with the answer please as I probably won't recheck this thread.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    how do i breed to get an elekid that knows ice punch, and crosschop

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    You can get a Machamp with Ice Punch and Cross Chop to breed. Machop gets Ice Punch as an egg move by breeding with a Hitmonchan or a Medicham and it learns Cross Chop by leveling up, so breed that with a female Electabuzz or Electivire and you should get an Elekid with those moves.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    i tried that yesterday, and my machops didnt know ice punch =/

guess i'll try again

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    i tried that yesterday, and my machops didnt know ice punch =/

guess i'll try again

Machop must know both moves in order to pass them on.
    Incidentally, Makuhita, Lucario, Magmar, and Croagunk can also pass both Cross Chop and Ice Punch to an Elekid, but it's a roundabout way of doing it.

Machop and Elekid can both also learn Ice Punch from the Platinum move tutor, so this breeding chain is sort of redundant.

Back