• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
hEY should i start EV training my lvl 42 dragonair right now or wait till hes a dragonite?

If you use it in even one in-game battle before it has competed its EV training, then it will already have excess EVs, meaning that you will either need to remove those EVs or find another Dragonair to train.

In other words, the sooner that you begin training, the better that the result will be.

Years
You should've done it while it was a Dratini. EVs are gained any time you battle, so that means you "EV trained" without realizing it. However, if you want to keep that particular Dragonite, you should use the EV reduction berries, the ones that say "lower base stat" or something to that effect, until it says that the stats won't drop anymore.

lolwut

Too cute for you
Years
Question about gen4 games

Well i haven't played these games before and im getting tired of playing gen 3 games cause ive played them so many times, and im wondering if its really worth the money to just go out and buy a nintendo ds and pearl/diamond/platinum. Oh and since i don't know ANYTHING about the gen4 games can someone explain to me the differences between the 3 games and the differences between the gen 3 games and them?

Red-The-First-I

Make a Wish...
Years
EV Training in D, P, Pt

Hey,
Can anyone explain me how to EV train Pokémon.
Does this help for Contests too?
I never got that.

Thanks a lot

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
EV training is irrelevant as far as contests are concerned. It only matters as far as battling other players. This sticky should have all of the information that you need regarding EV training.

Years
I'll list the differences in no particular order:

107 new Pokemon
All new region
Touch Screen Control
A new touch screen controlled Poketch that gains added functionality as you progress through the game.
Characteristics in addition to natures (Such as "Loves to Eat" or "Mischievous")
Split Attack and Sp. Atk. Attacks like Hyper Beam whose power was determined by the Pokemon's attack stat will now be determined by its sp. atk instead (since it's a beam and all?). Same goes for moves like Spark (used to be sp. atk, now attack).
New evil organization (Team Galactic)
Poffins replace Pokeblocks for boosting a Pokemon's contest condition.
New Super Contests which replace the old contests with touch controlled dress-up, dancing, and a 4-round appeal.
The Underground which allows you to dig up fossils, shards, and items called spheres which you can trade for decorations. This is also where your secret base is. You can connect to other people with this mode and do activities like capture the flag and trading decorations.
Wi-fi Connectivity which allows you to trade and battle online. Voice chat can be enabled as well.
A Global Trading Station or GTS which allows you to offer a Pokemon for a trade and ask for a certain Pokemon if you've seen it already.
Pokemon are animated when they come out of their Pokeballs like in Emerald.
The bag can now hold all items and the "Player" PC option now only deals with Mail and Ball Capsules.
Ball Capsules which allow you to decorate your Pokeballs and customize the way your Pokemon are sent out.
Pre-written messages for use in the Union Room, Mail, or Catchphrases.
A new Coin Case that allows you to carry 20000 coins. Note that the prizes will be much more expensive as well.
VS. Seeker returns from FR/LG.
Partners that team up with you allowing you to participate in Wild Double Battles.
A Pal Park that allows you to migrate Pokemon PERMANENTLY from your Gen III games after obtaining the National Dex.
A snowy area affected by hail.
Buildings and objects rendered in 3-D on the Overworld.
New Berries that allow you to reduce damage when held.
Day/Night has returned from Gen II.
Gender differences between some Pokemon. (Such as a female Pikachu having a heart-ish shaped tail.)
New moves, abilities, and items.
...And other features I'm likely forgetting.

Last edited:

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
Hax items are items that only work sometimes like the Quick Claw. That can also relate to items like Brightpowder, which lowers accuracy.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
0___o
What do Toxic and Flame Orbs do? x DD
They take down damage each turn, the first time out though it only gains the status. Yoxic Orb gets worse each time and Flame Orb is constant damage. They are used with Facade sets, Poison Heal and Switcharoo sets.

Suzume

Fire Fist
Years
I've started to learn about EV-training, and one question came to my mind: If I have a pokemon that has some EVs for all stats (trained normally, I mean) is it possible to just lower some EVs with berries and then raise them more in needed stats? If you get what I mean. ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
I've started to learn about EV-training, and one question came to my mind: If I have a pokemon that has some EVs for all stats (trained normally, I mean) is it possible to just lower some EVs with berries and then raise them more in needed stats? If you get what I mean. ^^

Indeed it is. That is exactly why it is consistently suggested to use the EV-reducing berries in order to adjust an EV spread.

What happens with that shiny, polished stone at the end of route 224 just outside of the Pokemon League? Some girl ran off and said that a pokemon visits it?

That is where Shaymin will be once the Oak's Letter event item is downloaded to your game.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2009
Help!! IV Breeding!!

I'm Wondering How To Have more than 2 30+ IV on one pokemon

bTw, is that possible??

ow yeah,

one more question..

so, the exact result of IV Calculating and HP is only when the pokemon reached level 100??

because,
yesterday i calculate my Lvl 50 Metagross, the calculator says that my Metagross's HP was "67/Poison"
i checked it by HPing to The Kecleon, but the result was "the Kecleon Turned into FLY Element"

ohhh my....

Back