• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

BoBoMaster13

Shiny and Event Collecter
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 4, 2010
    Quick question on breeding. If I breed ditto with another pokemon and the daycare man says they like to play with other pokemon will they make an egg? same question for when they dont seem to like each other.

Years
    If they "Prefer to play with other Pokemon", and egg isn't going to happen. Usually involves legendaries, genderless, and other Pokemon that can't breed (Nido evos, baby Pokemon).
    If they "Don't like each other much", there will be an egg, you'll just have to be very patient. Usually happens with most Pokemon that aren't the same species bred are together and were originally caught by you.
    If they "Seem to get along", there will be an egg. This usually happens when either a traded Pokemon is being bred with one of your Pokemon/another person's traded Pokemon or if the Pokemon are both the same species.
    If they "Get along really well", expect a lot of eggs quickly. This usually happens when a traded Pokemon is being bred with your Pokemon/another person's traded Pokemon AND both Pokemon are the same species.

Last edited:

Beco

That guy...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2012
    Quick question on breeding. If I breed ditto with another pokemon and the daycare man says they like to play with other pokemon will they make an egg? same question for when they dont seem to like each other.

I think that eventually you always end up with an egg.
    I just got an egg of two Pokémon who don't like eachother at all, so my guess is that the old guy's just a bit senile :p Don't worry, you'll get the egg.

Years
    Spoiler:

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    What is the combination needed for Soft Resetting?
    soft resetting doesn't affect the game right? no battary life going down or some other thing?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    someone told me to ask in here, so which pokemon would be used best for competitive battling in a team of 6?
    Salamence
    Dusknoir
    Electivre
    Jolteon
    Rhyperior
    Metagross
    Golem
    Milotic
    Lugia
    Camerupt
    Tyranitar
    Cresselia
    Zapdos
    Ho oh
    Just which ones out of those and i didnt wanna post in the moveset thread because i dont need help with that i just need help making a team out of all of those.

Of the ones you suggested,

Sal, Dusk, Elec, Jolt, Rhy, Meta, Milo, Tyra, Cres, and Zap are OU (overused).
    This means they are used often in the competitive metagame. They are generally good at doing what they do and outclass most other things.

Golem and Camerupt fall under the UU/NU (underused/never used) category, which means that they generally suck compared to other Pokemon. Golem is completely outclassed by some higher ups, like Rhyperior. Camerupt is NU, meaning that you will scarcely see it in battle. Camerupt does have its merits in Lava Plume and unique typing, but it will get creamed in OU play.

Ho-Oh and Lugia are UBER, meaning that if you as much as include either in your team, your team will face off against FULL UBER teams, no matter how many OU you have. Ubers have superior stats and better attacks, which means everything basically falls against it.

Now, the second thing you want to do is balance out your weaknesses and resistances:
    https://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/team_builder/

Then, you want to make movesets for them. If you need help, here is inspiration:
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

Then the next best thing to do is test it on Shoddy, which I fail to have a link of and CBF to find because this post is abominably long.

ProfessorMiles

Im Miles
    Years
    Well. i did this Idea. and Im doing Fine in the game. because i caught it as the first pokemon i caught, and started this idea since the beginning. and keeping both my pokemon at the same level. it was great. The only trouble i had was it took me 3 tries to beat the 3rd gym, because Shinx's Bite wasnt strong enough to one hit. So on my 3rd time i was able to get around that problem. ^_^

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    In-game it is a bad idea unless the move you want is one or two levels after it would have evolved. The stat boosts from evolving prove to be more useful in tough battle in the main game.

On another note I actually prefer having spark to thunder fang. The only advantage thunderfang has to spark is the chance to flinch as well. Spark has the same base power, has 5 pp more than thunder fang, has a 30% paralysis ratio as opposed to thunderfang's 10% chance to flinch or paralyze, and does not have that 5% chance to miss the opponent. However, that's just my personal preference between the two moves. You can go through the game fine with either move, however, so you're better off just going with spark which Luxio will learn at level 18 and evolving.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Is there a difference between the lake trio, or is it just looks?

All three of them are different Pokemon, each with different stats and movesets. Also, Mesprit runs away instead of fighting when first encountered, meaning that it needs to be tracked using the Marking Map Poketch application.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
    I'm trying to beef up my Houndoom for the elite four, but I have serious problems trying to getting it's defense higher. I've fought lots of high attack and high defense pokemon, and used 'physical' moves, but every time it levels up, it's "Special attack +4! Or attack +3! And always, defense +1." If anyone can give me any help, it would be appreciated, as my Houndoom can only take 2-3 hits before fainting.

Years
    Houndoom's Defense stat is relatively low having a base stat 50, and its HP isn't something to brag about either, being 75. Combine the two, and it isn't going to survive long. Typically, since it's an in-game team, it would be better just to have it at a high enough level so that it OHKOs most of the Elite Four's (and Champion's) Pokemon.

The nature may also have something to do with it. Natures typically increase the power of one stat, but decrease another's. Natures and their effects can be found here.

If you really want to boost your Pokemon's stats badly, then you might want to look up EVs and IVs. Both are values that determine the strengths of a Pokemon's stats. EVs, also known as effort values, are gained from battling and gaining experience from them. The amount and kind of EVs you gained are determined by the Pokemon being battled. Battling high defense Pokemon give defense EVs, high attack gives attack EVs etc. Check out this guide for more details.
    IVs, also known as indiviudal values, are unchanging values that determine a Pokemon's stats. They range on a scale from 0-31 in each of the 6 stats and are determined the moment you encounter a Pokemon. The higher the IV in a stat, the higher the stat will typically be.

HOWEVER, even with EVs and IVs, Pokemon's stats are limited by their base stats. Houndoom will always have a low defense stat no matter how hard you train it.

Does this help?

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    It depends on what the psychic is and what it can't use normally. Ice is usually a good choice, though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    What is the best Hidden Power to set on a Psychic Type pokemon?

It depends on what the Pokemon can't hit through other moves.

HP Fire is basically only for Scizor.

HP Ice can apply to a few of the dragons.

HP Ground can knock around Heatran

HP Fight might be preferred over Focus Blast due to FB's less than stellar accuracy.

Quackyla

I like penguins and so do you!
    Years
    arceus help

ok heres my question my arceus went to level 100 but it still didnt learn judgement what do i do?

Back