• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    another question.

If i want to teach my Sneasel ice punch through breeding, do one of the parents have to know the move?

Years
    The male does. Also, the only compatible Pokemon is Smeargle (all others need to be chain bred first).

Before you ask, you can easily get Ice Punch onto Smeargle by having a Pokemon that knows the move you want to sketch go into a double battle with Smeargle, using the move, and having Smeargle use sketch on that Pokemon.

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
    How is it possible to get curse and hammer arm on one set of miltank? Breed it with the torcoal for the Curse then breed the curse miltank with another miltank till you get desired egg? Is that correct?

Years
    For the most part, yes. The only time a mother contributes to the moveset of the offspring is if both the mother and the father know a move that the offspring learns leveling up.
    Spoiler:

@ Gusxx1: Just use Smeargle.

Also, are you sure that it says that they "prefer to play with other Pokemon"? It could be that it just says "don't seem to get along well" which means that there will be an egg, only it will take a while. Also, make sure the Rhydon is male.

Gusxx1

Years
    For the most part, yes. The only time a mother contributes to the moveset of the offspring is if both the mother and the father know a move that the offspring learns leveling up.
    Spoiler:

@ Gusxx1: Just use Smeargle.

Also, are you sure that it says that they "prefer to play with other Pokemon"? It could be that it just says "don't seem to get along well" which means that there will be an egg, only it will take a while. Also, make sure the Rhydon is male.

I forgot that two females can't breed LOL. When i asked the first question. I realized that after i asked the question. I'm still confused on the breeding curse AND hammer arm. Does it work like this? Could you try to explain.

I'm thinking it works like this: First miltank gets hammer arm, Gives it to it's offspring, The next miltank has hammer arm and breeds with the pokemon that has curse and curse and hammer arm will be passed down as egg moves. Does it work like that?

Years
    Females can't pass down egg moves, so that wouldn't work. The only moves that are passed down are TMs known by the father and are compatible with the offspring, egg moves known by the father, and moves the offspring normally learns via level up if both parents also know the same move.

Just have a male Smeargle Sketch Hammer Arm and Curse. Then breed it with the Miltank. It's the only possible way.

Gusxx1

Years
    Females can't pass down egg moves, so that wouldn't work. The only moves that are passed down are TMs known by the father and are compatible with the offspring, egg moves known by the father, and moves the offspring normally learns via level up if both parents also know the same move.

Just have a male Smeargle Sketch Hammer Arm and Curse. Then breed it with the Miltank. It's the only possible way.

Alright i'll try that out. Thanks for the help.

(thanks for the help jpp, I got it to work)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    Ev training question....

I was Ev training my Porygon-z off Gastly. I killed 152, which is 152 ev's. (no brace item)... I went to give it 10 calcium to top it off so I can have 252 ev's in Sp. Atk. but it said it wouldn't have any effect. Do I now have to go kill 100 more gastly?

I gave the calcium to my Alakazam, does he need 152 gastly dead now?

I ask this so I do not waste my time killing pokemon if I don't need to. Thanks :)

Gusxx1

Years
    Ev training question....

I was Ev training my Porygon-z off Gastly. I killed 152, which is 152 ev's. (no brace item)... I went to give it 10 calcium to top it off so I can have 252 ev's in Sp. Atk. but it said it wouldn't have any effect. Do I now have to go kill 100 more gastly?

I gave the calcium to my Alakazam, does he need 152 gastly dead now?

I ask this so I do not waste my time killing pokemon if I don't need to. Thanks :)

You're suppose to use the vitamins before you began EV training because they have no effect after you've already got 100 EVs. So next time just use 10 vitamins in desired stat and then kill the desired pokemon :) For the remaining 252.

And yes, you can kill the 152 ghastlys for the 252 in whichever stat it is. I'm not into much detail but you should understand easily.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    Platinum Questions

Alright, I haven't been on in a long time, sorry about that. But on to more pressing matters.

My birthday is in 9 days(turning 20), and my parents are getting me a game, a snake, and some guitar strings. Well, there are many games out there, and I already have Pearl, but I am curious about Platinum.

My questions are as followed:

What are the changes in Platinum compared to Pearl/Diamond?
    What Pokemon can you obtain in Platinum?
    Are there any features that make Platinum worth getting?
    Are there any new moves in Platinum?
    Is the Competitive play any better thanks to the lack of Friend Codes?

I play Pearl still, but I have found myself playing my 360 more and more. So, is Platinum worth getting, or should I stick with my Xbox 360 games?

Years
    Question About Trading

Ok this could be basic question but are you able to migrate a growlithe or bagon into d/p then trade it to Platinum? (on a new game save) or do you have to get the national dex on the Platinum to get them.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    max FCs?

is there a max amount of friend codes your pal pad can have?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Alright, I haven't been on in a long time, sorry about that. But on to more pressing matters.

My birthday is in 9 days(turning 20), and my parents are getting me a game, a snake, and some guitar strings. Well, there are many games out there, and I already have Pearl, but I am curious about Platinum.

My questions are as followed:

What are the changes in Platinum compared to Pearl/Diamond?
    What Pokemon can you obtain in Platinum?
    Are there any features that make Platinum worth getting?
    Are there any new moves in Platinum?
    Is the Competitive play any better thanks to the lack of Friend Codes?

I play Pearl still, but I have found myself playing my 360 more and more. So, is Platinum worth getting, or should I stick with my Xbox 360 games?

I wish my parents got me gifts :|

1. This will answer most of your questions: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_platinum
    2. You can capture a lot of Pokemon! Before the game is over, you can catch some new additions like Magby, Elekid, Houndour, etc. but you cannot catch Misdreavus, Murkrow, Stunky, or Glameow. You can now also get Rotom and Giratina before the Elite Four and evolve all the Gen 4 Pokemon before then too.
    3. You decide.
    4. No, but they changed a couple of moves.
    5. What, Friend Codes are gone? o_o

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    questions about the underground

I'm playing Platium,and I have some questions about the underground.

How do I bury a sphire? I tried to bury it in the wall,but the game won't let me.

Which is the best spot in the underground to find a fossil?

How do I escape a flower trap? Whe I hit a flower trap,my character and the game froze.

Where do I find people to talk to in the underground?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I'm playing Platium,and I have some questions about the underground.

How do I bury a sphire? I tried to bury it in the wall,but the game won't let me.

Which is the best spot in the underground to find a fossil?

How do I escape a flower trap? Whe I hit a flower trap,my character and the game froze.

Where do I find people to talk to in the underground?

Okay well first of all you cannot bury spheres in the walls. Make sure your character is not by any walls and then click your sphere and bury it.

There is not a best spot to find a fossil, you just randomly find one.

To escape a flower trap you blow in your DS microphone until the petals go away.

To talk to people underground someone in your house has to have Diamond, Pearl or Platinum and you both have to go underground and you guys will see each other.

Back