• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Hi everyone, ive just got the Platinum version and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to find a Moon Shard without having to go past the Elite 4?

Thanks for your help

You can find moon stones once you get the Underground Kit in Eterna City, underground. Just keep digging up things and eventually you will find one.

funkeboodha

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    hey guys, does this Egg nature trick still work in Platinum? ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxhznwhVWQ )

You basically change boxes, right when it's about to show the nature on a Pokémon, to an Egg and it shows you the nature of the Egg. I've tried like 20 times and it didn't work. I usually get it after about 5 tries or so in Diamond. Did the timing change?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    hey guys, does this Egg nature trick still work in Platinum? ( )

You basically change boxes, right when it's about to show the nature on a Pokémon, to an Egg and it shows you the nature of the Egg. I've tried like 20 times and it didn't work. I usually get it after about 5 tries or so in Diamond. Did the timing change?

It works for me in Platinum. It takes a few times to get the timing down right, but I've used it a lot. Sometimes it takes me a few tries until I get it right :P It should work though.

(I guess there is always a possibility that different language versions from mine could be different though :/)

funkeboodha

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    It works for me in Platinum. It takes a few times to get the timing down right, but I've used it a lot. Sometimes it takes me a few tries until I get it right :P It should work though.

(I guess there is always a possibility that different language versions from mine could be different though :/)

thanks for the reply! i will keep trying, for a second, I was about to switch back to Diamond for breeding! I still have to move all my freakin Dittos over...GRRR tedious!

btw...I am just on the US version.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    thanks for the reply! i will keep trying, for a second, I was about to switch back to Diamond for breeding! I still have to move all my freakin Dittos over...GRRR tedious!

btw...I am just on the US version.

Well good luck to you :) Unfortunately I have come to realize that there are small differences between the Japansese version (the one I have) and the US version :( There is a possibility that that could be one of them, but I don't know for sure (The only other difference between the two versions as I have heard was being able to share the Rotom key, which you apparently can't do in the US version :()

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Ok, can someone tell me what the "Points" on my Trainer Card means in Platinum? I mean, what is it for? And how do I increase them?

Well I think the points are for how far you get in the game and the further you get in the game, the more the points increase. I am not 100% sure, but I think that's what it is for.

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    My Buneary's friendship with me isn't going up, i gave him Irons, HP Up, Massages and everything and my Chimecho evolved when i done the same, is it because it has been in my PC for long?

Also, i am thinking about taking Buneary for walks around that place in Hearthome every hour, will that help our friendship?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    My Buneary's friendship with me isn't going up, i gave him Irons, HP Up, Massages and everything and my Chimecho evolved when i done the same, is it because it has been in my PC for long?

Also, i am thinking about taking Buneary for walks around that place in Hearthome every hour, will that help our friendship?

Walking around the place will help, and I suggest you give it poffins as well. Have you gone to the massage place in the Resort Area? If you can't reach that place yet, or don't have enough ribbons then try to give it friendship berries as well.

Randomizer

Sound off the false alarm.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2010
    What is the quickest and most effective way to raise a pokemon to level 100 after EV training it?

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
    1)Where's a great spot to train Special Defence EV's in Pearl?

(I haven't got the Bracelets, but a Wigglytuff with PKRS and a Macho Brace.)

I'll ask another question with an example:

2) Am I getting this right:
    Let's say I get 2 Defence EV points for beating a Graveler. If my pokémon has PKRS, it'll be multiplied with 2. If I have Macho Brace it will also be multiplied with 2. Then by beating a Graveler I'll get a whooping 2*2*2 Defence EV points which equals 8 EV's total. Right?

First question, Near Sunnyshore City, Surf on the water there is usually large amounts of tentacruel

Second question. You are right, Pokemon that give off two EVs = 8 EVs with macho brace + pokerus.

Years
    Questions about Platinum

Okay so i just got platinum, but havent finished it yet, and i want to know how i can get the secret key or the event for shaymin and/or the item to make it into its sky form since i missed the event. Is there at all a possibility to get it from the wifi. And also i havent beaten the elite four yet or even got the mystery event, but know how to get the mystery event, so i need some questions answers. And maybe some more questions later

Years
    I couldn't tell if you said that you knew or that you didn't know how to get mystery gift, so:
    Spoiler:

Considering you live in the U.S., the events for the Glacidea Flower and Secret Key are over. If one of your friends has the Wonder Card for the Secret Key event though, they can share it with you locally. Other than that, you'll have to wait until the wi-fi events are announced.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

All Pokemon that evolve through happiness will do so at 220 happiness level. This number is hidden from you, but you can see where you have progressed with the various people who tell you how close your Pokemon is.

All Pokemon begin at 70 happiness. I think a Pokemon hatched from an egg starts with 100 happiness, but I am only about 40% sure.

You can gain happiness in the following ways (the slash denotes OR, not AND; i.e. you do not need to use a healing item after walking 256 steps):

+1H: Walk 256 steps / Use a healing item.
    +2H: Use an item to alter EVs (EV berry or vitamin) / Gain a level.
    +3H: Veilstone Massage.
    +5H: Ribbon Syndicate Massage.

If the Pokemon was captured with a Luxury Ball, then there will be an even greater rise:

+2H: Walk 256 steps / Use a healing item.
    +5H: Veilstone Massage.
    +6H: Use EV-altering items / Gain a level / Ribbon Syndicate Massage.

In addition, if you have a Soothe Bell equipped, every time you gain happiness points, you will gain an extra point (i.e. if you walk 256 steps with a Soothe Bell, you gain 1 happiness point and then a +1 bonus for having Soothe Bell attached; if your Pokemon was caught with a Luxury Ball, you will gain +2 happiness and then a +1 bonus)

You can also lose happiness through feeding the Pokemon bitter medicine from Eterna. They are cheap, but cost a lot of happiness per use. Note that fainting will also deduct 1 point.

If you use the maximum of 51 Vitamins, you will get 102 happiness (or 306 with the Luxury Ball). If you have Soothe Bell attached, you gain 153 happiness (and 357 with the Luxury Ball). 153 + 70 = 223, which above is the level required to evolve. Although this is not recommended, it is an alternative to waiting for the massage every day. You can also alternate between the berries and the vitamins to keep your unwanted EVs at 0.

You only need to feed the Pokemon 50 vitamins or EV berries while it has a Soothe Bell for it to gain the required 70+150 happiness level. If it was caught with a Luxury Ball and it has a Soothe Bell, you only need 22, which leaves you at 70+154 = 224 happiness. Assuming that you did not let the Pokemon faint or feed it bad medicine, you can just level up the Pokemon and it will evolve.

Happiness caps at 255.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2016
    Hey, I'm going to restart Diamond, for a monotype challenge, and I was wondering, is it worth it to soft-reset for a shiny Piplup? If so, how long does it usually take to get one?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Hey, I'm going to restart Diamond, for a monotype challenge, and I was wondering, is it worth it to soft-reset for a shiny Piplup? If so, how long does it usually take to get one?

Shiny status has no real value towards gameplay or your overall experience with Pokemon. You may or may not like shiny Pokemon. It is up to the trainer to decide whether or not they deem it fit to reset for one.

You may expect to get 1 shiny Piplup after about 8200 soft resets. If you are lucky, you may get it before then. Remember that each time you will need to go through the dialogue and events over and over.

Back