• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

cometstorm

Trainer of Time and Space
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    I'm curious, I want to teach moves to some of my pokemon, but it states "HM moves can't be forgotten now." May I ask why?

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Well, you can't delete a HM move by overwriting it with another move. If you already know that, and you're using the move deleter, check to make sure the Pokemon isn't the only one with that HM move. You can't delete a HM move if you are somewhere in the game where you have to use it, or else you'd be stuck.

KinaWolf24

Unleash the Hounds
    Years
    How do i chain with pokeradar to get a shiny pokemon because i want one so bad.

From what I understand, you use the radar, go to the bush that is moving and defeat/catch the pokemon there. Do that over and over to build up a "chain". The chain will be broken if you run into a random wild pokemon on your way to the moving bush. Try to make your way without running into any of those. The longer the chain, the higher chance the bush that is moving will contain a shiny pokemon. The bush with the shiny will sparkle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    no will someone tell me if the thing i recorded for chatter will play on ym friends ds if we wi fi
    What you record for Chatter will play on both your DS and your friend's on Wi-Fi. It will play when you send it out in battle and when your friend selects Chatot's Summary on an online trade.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    i so i got given a lvl62 Weaville and a lvl 100 Japanese Shaymin
    how would i check if they are hacks?

heres the stats :

Shaymin :
    Health : 334
    Attck 219
    def 222
    sp attack 220
    sp def 227
    speed 185
    it is lvl100 and has had Pokerous (smily face)

Nature : Sassy
    Found : Flower Paradise
    Lvl Met : fateful Encounter at lvl 30
    Moves : Energy Ball, Sweet Kiss, Healing Wish, Seed Flare

Weavile (lvl62)
    163 169 104 60 120 152

Nature : Brave
    Found : Snowpoint Temple
    Lvl Met : 54
    Moves : Slash, Beat Up, Strength, Ice Shard

So do i have Hacked Pokemon?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Both appear to be fine and legit.

Shaymin is from Platinum and appears to have been fed Rare Candy (it has no EVs).

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Okay thanks
    i did a check about the moves and stats and just wanted to make sure
    how do you tell about EVS?
    as im new i havent got a clue about all this EV stuff - is there a place on here that explains it?

TwilightBlade

Years
    You use an IV calculator to check EVs.

Type in stats, species, level, and nature. If the right column is read, then your Pokemon may have EVs.

EVs stand for Effort Values (also called Effort Points), or unseen values your Pokemon earn upon defeating any wild/trainer Pokemon (not Battle Frontier Pokemon, though). For example, if your Pokemon defeats one Starly, it gains 1 EV point in Speed (as Starly's highest stat is speed). In another instance, if your Pokemon defeats one Graveler, it gains 2 EV points in Defense (as Graveler's highest stat is defense and it is a second stage in evolution).

You can use this to check EV values of each Pokemon.

4 EV points = 1 stat point increase
    255 EV points = max in one stat (Atk, Def, etc)
    510 EV points = max for one Pokemon

The second post has an EV guide.

Years
    Okay thanks
    i did a check about the moves and stats and just wanted to make sure
    how do you tell about EVS?
    as im new i havent got a clue about all this EV stuff - is there a place on here that explains it?
    An EV guide is here. Unfortunately, it's a very well hidden value so unless you've been keeping track of which Pokemon your Pokemon have battled and how many, it's impossible to tell your Pokemon's EV count.

Edit: What TB said. o3o;

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    okay thanks that helps.

now a second question what CANT Ditto breed with?
    i know there are some that cant be breeded but what cant
    i know Ditto cant, im guessing the Legends cant but are there any other

TwilightBlade

Years
    Ditto cannot breed with baby Pokemon (Pichu, Cleffa, Riolu, Bonsly, etc), Nidorina/Nidoqueen, and Unown.

Lorenzo_Von_Matterhorn

Trainer of Awesome
    Years
    Endeavor Learned By Staravia: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Dear People,

I've recently begun a game of Pokemon Platinum and have just passed Oreburgh City victorious in acquiring a Coal Badge. However, in my Pokemon training regime, I have come to an impasse of indecision! I cannot decide whether or not it would be beneficial for me to replace any of my level 18 Staravia's moves with "Endeavor". While I can figure in a devastating last-ditch strategy with that move (with the exception of missing a certain item) I cannot help wondering if there would more appealing strategies with his current-future move sets!

So, here I stand, torn with indecision wondering if there is anybody out there who could assist me with this dilemma! So, with utmost conviction, I pose this question to you people, appealing to your honesty and expertise, is there any worth in adding "Endeavor" to my level 18 Staravia's repertoire of battle techniques?

Thank you for your consideration and may you have an AWESOME day. Cheers!

-Lorenzo

BlackRay

The other trainer.
    Years
    Apparently, another question came in mind.
    So if someone has a flawless Ditto (which I do) will an offspring have good chance of getting most of those ivs. And if both parents have good ivs will the chances increase? Although I heard the chances of getting a flawless Pokemon is

No you fail

l to the o to the l
    Years
    Apparently, another question came in mind.
    So if someone has a flawless Ditto (which I do) will an offspring have good chance of getting most of those ivs. And if both parents have good ivs will the chances increase? Although I heard the chances of getting a flawless Pokemon is

The chances are best if you have two flawless parents because when you are IV breeding 3 randomly chosen IVs from the parents go down (they can overlap so you could have both's att IV, males defense IV, and females defense IV) and then you get random IV's for the other IV's that weren't passed down.

So if you breed two pokemon with 31/31/31/31/31/31 you may get 31/x/31/x/31/x or something like that at best or they could overlap and you may get x/31/x/x/x/x (X's represent randomly chosen IV's)

Hope I helped.

Years
    I have recently purchased for myself a secondary copy of Platinum. I own two DS units.

Questions of my own:

#1: Will I essentially be able to obtain (via wireless communication) as many Darkrai/Shaymin as my "reset" speed provides considering my main first Platinum contains the Wi-Fi gift things for Darkrai/Shaymin (the key and letter, respectively) ?

Also...

I have in the past played Pokemon Diamond (two different copies, one per DS unit, friend code obtained at a point for each pairing).

Will having played and registered Diamond on a/both DS unit/(s) create an issue of some kind should I ever want to replace my Diamond interest?

Dear People,

I've recently begun a game of Pokemon Platinum and have just passed Oreburgh City victorious in acquiring a Coal Badge. However, in my Pokemon training regime, I have come to an impasse of indecision! I cannot decide whether or not it would be beneficial for me to replace any of my level 18 Staravia's moves with "Endeavor". While I can figure in a devastating last-ditch strategy with that move (with the exception of missing a certain item) I cannot help wondering if there would more appealing strategies with his current-future move sets!

So, here I stand, torn with indecision wondering if there is anybody out there who could assist me with this dilemma! So, with utmost conviction, I pose this question to you people, appealing to your honesty and expertise, is there any worth in adding "Endeavor" to my level 18 Staravia's repertoire of battle techniques?

Thank you for your consideration and may you have an AWESOME day. Cheers!

-Lorenzo

You can use ENDEAVOR for some of your Legend catching needs. Assuming you have low health from the start, an option is to ENDEAVOR then follow up with a switch to Pokemon X for the Sleep or Paralyze status. Or you could start with the Synchronize, switch for status, switch again for the Endeavor and end with the Ball.

Double battles work for this as you can False Swipe and stuff to the limits of your own patience.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    Can someone tell me if this Deoxys is legit or not? I THOUGHT it was, but now I'm not so sure... (Which really sucks, 'cause Deoxys is one of the few events I missed and am trying to get)

DEOXYS
    Lvl 55 (I believe it's been trained some)
    OT: Gamestp
    ID No. 06218
    Hasty Nature
    Jun. 30 2008
    Pokemon Event
    Apparently had a fateful encounter at Lv. 50
    Very finicky
    Likes sweet food
    HP 129
    Attack 119
    Defense 93
    Sp. Atk 160
    Sp. Def 116
    Speed 276
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves:
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Ice Beam
    Superpower

I'm not good at hack-checking, but what really gets me is the date received -- after I already traded, I read somewhere that the Gamestop Deoxys dates ended on the 29, but this one is the 30. It's hacked, isn't it? Argh...

Back