• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
  • Characteristics basically state what your Pokemon's highest IV is and what it may possibly be. Serebii's chart.

Endeavor is not an egg move for Ratatta. For the baby Ratatta to know Endeavor or any move it can learn via level up, both parents have to know it.

Years
  • Characteristics basically state what your Pokemon's highest IV is and what it may possibly be. Serebii's chart.

Endeavor is not an egg move for Ratatta. For the baby Ratatta to know Endeavor or any move it can learn via level up, both parents have to know it.

so if i get my male rattata with endeavor and a female rattata with endeavor the baby will have it? :S

and how does IV or EV training whatever it is work? and how do you know what number it has from the chart?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Yes, although I'm not sure why you want to breed for endeavor since it can learn it via level up.

IVs are basically a number from 0-31 that is added to each of a pokemon's base stats. When a pokemon is caught or egg laid, the game randomly generates its values and then adds it to the pokemon's stats. You usually can't see it until it's level 100 though. You can influence what IVs a baby can get, by breeding parents together. When you breed parents together, each parent pass down 3 of its IVs to the baby randomly. So if you breed two parents with excellent IVs together, you can potentially get a powerful baby that surpasses its parents. However, it's random which IVs get passed down. Less so in HG/SS, since you can actually choose to pass down which single IV from each parent to the offspring via power items.

EVs are effort values that are gained by battling pokemon. Each pokemon has a certain EV that they give when beaten. Starly, for example, give 1 speed EV while Tentacool give 1 special attack EV. A pokemon can gain max 252 EVs in one stat, and max 510 EVs altogether. Furthermore, 4 EVs in one stat is equal to 1 stat point. So say you gained 252 attack EVs. 252 divided by 4 equals to 63. That's 63 stat points added to a pokemon's base attack. You won't see much of a gain if your pokemon is at a low level but if you're training one at a high level, you'll probably see gains of +4 or much higher. Serebii is an excellent site to check out which pokemon gives what EVs. Finally, EVs can be removed by berries. Pomeg, Kelpsy, Tamato, Grepa, Hondew and Qualot all removes EVs.

There's more on both these subjects but I'll end up writing a whole guide...lol. Go ahead and keep asking, 'tis how you learn. :D

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • can I max a feebass's beauty using the bought poffins in plat or do I have to make my own I am horrible at making poffins
    P.S its modest so no worries with the nature

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • can I max a feebass's beauty using the bought poffins in plat or do I have to make my own I am horrible at making poffins
    P.S its modest so no worries with the nature
    Yep, I've done it myself. Just make sure you buy the Dry ones, obviously :P

Years
  • why rattata .. i watched a vid in the GTS a rattata owned a level 75 swampert lol i understand it can work with just about any weaker pokemon thanks for the info on ev's and iv's im gonna try to find what pokemon gives me speed and defence since im all about being fast and a tank i have plans for a dragonair and a golem >>;

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Serebii lists which Pokémon give certain EVs in their Pokédex. For Speed, I prefer surfing in the basement of Victory Road, where you'll only encounter Floatzel (2 EVs) and Golbat (2 EVs). Iron Island is hands down the best place for Defense (Graveler [2], Steelix [2], Geodude [1], Onix [1]).

The FEAR strategy works with any Pokémon that can learn attacks like Endeavour, Quick Attack, Extreme Speed, Sucker Punch and Ice Shard. People use Starly, Phanpy, Taillow, Smeargle, Treecko and Duduo instead of Rattata if they really want to.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    Ok well I was going to make a thread about this but I decided to post it here.

I have read that you only need 4 EV points for it to increase a stat
    But I have noticed that the stats don't increase when they level up unless I at least KO 10 of the same pokemon.
    So why is that?

Years
  • Serebii lists which Pokémon give certain EVs in their Pokédex. For Speed, I prefer surfing in the basement of Victory Road, where you'll only encounter Floatzel (2 EVs) and Golbat (2 EVs). Iron Island is hands down the best place for Defense (Graveler [2], Steelix [2], Geodude [1], Onix [1]).

The FEAR strategy works with any Pokémon that can learn attacks like Endeavour, Quick Attack, Extreme Speed, Sucker Punch and Ice Shard. People use Starly, Phanpy, Taillow, Smeargle, Treecko and Duduo instead of Rattata if they really want to.

ya i read the different pokes used for FEAR on bulbapedia but i had a good rattata handy (H) and didnt mind leveling him to 34 or 36 or whatever level it is for endeavor

and as for speed... them there floatzel >>; i know im in the wrong thread for the version i have... but is it available in SS's victory road basement?

and so for example.. if i kill 2 golbats when i level up ill get +1 to my speed stat?

and for another example

say if i had my dragonite level 100 out surfin those noob gravelers... and my golem in slot 2 with exp. share on... will my golem get the EVs?

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • When you're EVing a low level pokemon, you'll likely won't see the increase. It's there, but it isn't really visible. Another thing, if a pokemon would normally gain a +2 in a stat and you gave it 4 EVs, it would gain a +3...meaning it looks like a normal +3 gain rather than a +2 and an additional +1. Geddit?

So yeah, the pokemon with exp. share will gain the EVs the lead pokemon gain. So you could EV train 6 pokemon at once if you had enough exp. shares if you wanted.

Additional tips: If you equip a power item like say, power lens, to a pokemon and KO a Gastly, you'll gain an additional +4 EVs in Special Attack, so you'll gain 5 EVs total for each Gastly KO'ed. If your pokemon has been infected with Pokerus, it doubles the amount of EVs gained per each pokemon KO'ed. So if your pokemon has power lens attached, pokerus and KO'es a Gastly, it will gain a total of 10 Special Attack EVs. Much faster, innit? Don't forget your vitamins. Each vitamin adds 10 EVs to a chosen stat. The vitamins only add EVs until your pokemon has 100 EVs in its stat so you should feed vitamins to your pokemon, then start EV training.

Oh yes, that reminds me. The easiest way to check a pokemon's EVs would be wipe all of its EVs (or at least write them down so you know what they are), go do a level 100 battle with someone, write down the stats of said pokemon, then plug the stats (and EVs, if applicable) into an IV calculator. Serebii and Metalkid both have IV calculators. Metalkid seems to be more accurate though.

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • and as for speed... them there floatzel >>; i know im in the wrong thread for the version i have... but is it available in SS's victory road basement?

and so for example.. if i kill 2 golbats when i level up ill get +1 to my speed stat?

and for another example

say if i had my dragonite level 100 out surfin those noob gravelers... and my golem in slot 2 with exp. share on... will my golem get the EVs?
    I have no clue where to EV train in HG/SS, I rarely play it and I haven't done any training in it yet.

You won't see the stat boosts when you level up because the gain is a gradual process. If I killed 40 Starlies and leveled up as a result, I won't see +10 in Speed, maybe +2 or +3. If you rare candy a Pokémon up to level 90 then begin EV training, you'll see bigger jumps, but until then you won't see anything.
    As such the only way to keep track of the EVs you gain is to write them down on a sheet or paper or use a Pokétch app if you do it all in one sitting.

EXP. Share will share the EVs gained with the Pokémon holding it. Any Pokémon that receives EXP from an encounter also gets the EVs from the fainted Pokémon.

Years
  • so i dont see a significant boost untill higher levels.. but if im say level 50ish i can still EV train right? i dont really care how long it takes tbh as long as i can max my golems defence he'll need it for what i wanna do with him and my dragonair >>; my goal is to make a stupid fast dragonair that can ko pretty much anything >>;

and as for vitamins... i only used those in blue =\ missingno. dupe candies and vitamins and i ko'd anyone when i was in gr 6 (H) lol

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • so i dont see a significant boost untill higher levels.. but if im say level 50ish i can still EV train right? i dont really care how long it takes tbh as long as i can max my golems defence he'll need it for what i wanna do with him and my dragonair >>; my goal is to make a stupid fast dragonair that can ko pretty much anything >>;

and as for vitamins... i only used those in blue =\ missingno. dupe candies and vitamins and i ko'd anyone when i was in gr 6 (H) lol
    You can EV train at any level as long as you rare candy it up to that level, caught it at a high level, or use the EV reducing berries (which Griffinbane listed in a post earlier) to wipe out any existing EVs. You only have to do the last option if you ran around fainting random Pokémon - for example, I caught a Shinx outside of Sandgem Town which I used going through all of the gyms and Elite Four without paying attention to which Pokémon I faint with it. I'd have to then use the berries to start over and make sure it has a clean slate.

Years
  • i dont think those berries are in HGSS would i be able to trade them to DPP and lower there IVs then start EV training on DPP and trade over to HGSS or trade the pokemon back to HGSS and do the EV training there?

and is it possible to max out two IV's?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • i dont think those berries are in HGSS would i be able to trade them to DPP and lower there IVs then start EV training on DPP and trade over to HGSS or trade the pokemon back to HGSS and do the EV training there?

and is it possible to max out two IV's?
    I think you can get them through the Pokéwalker and with certain color shards, but yeah, you can trade them back and forth.

You can max out two EVs once you reach 255 (252) EVs in either stat. You can't max out any more than that, though.

Years
  • if i max out 2 can i still SLIGHTLY ever so... another stat? say on my dragonair i wanna max his speed and attacksince he has lower sp.def can you up that? or would maxxing atk and spd be it?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Maxing out two stats lets you only put about 4 points into one last stat. A bland/average EV spread is something like 252/252/4 if it's absolutely necessary that two stats reach their maximum.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • I'm not sure about Dragonair since it isn't fully evolved. CB Dragonite has max Atk/Spe with 4 Def, some other offensive specs are max Atk and SpA.

The 4 EVs, at level 100, is only a +1 to the stat that it goes into, but sometimes that can make a difference depending on what stat it goes into.

Back