• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I was actually thinking about the behavior bytes, but then there's that too. I'm actually far from doing it, but I'm already thinking of doing the next things.
    Thanks a lot.
    Now I'm not sure what you're talking about. Behavior bytes are something that blocks have. The movement of water is based off of the tileset. What specific aspect of water do you want your lava to have?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Now I'm not sure what you're talking about. Behavior bytes are something that blocks have. The movement of water is based off of the tileset. What specific aspect of water do you want your lava to have?

I was just thinking of an easier way to do it. I just want a simple lava tile, no need for movements and all (though it would be cool). =P
    I meant, that if I change the water tile in the block editor, the lava would behave the same (I got in a fight in a lava tile, and the water background pops up, for example).
    I do a new tile just for volcano related stuff, don't worry. =P

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Why are some map locations written in red color unlike the others? Is there a way to change the red text to the regular color?
    Quick Questions & Answers Quick Questions & Answers
    If you open the world map with A-Map 1.92, you'll notice that each tile on the map can have a top layer and a bottom layer map name. In a vanilla fire red rom, the top layer is used for caves, forests, and other types of maps that are "within" another map. That's what the red text is; top layer maps. You can "make" it white by changing it to the bottom layer location, but you can't have two maps with white text on the same tile (without going through and editing the actual map loading routine).

Edit: actually I guess there could be a theoretical solution through text editing, if those map names are more like text boxes that are being fed colored text, and not an image, though I'm not sure how you'd go about it.
    Oops.

Last edited:

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    FR Pros:
    More documentation thus more routines being made for it.
    Title screen is far more customizable.
    Expanding the Pokemon is vastly easier due to G3HS
    Has rival naming
    Expanding Overworlds has been done.(Em is being worked on by Touched in DSLN)
    Has those cool Landon/may ow sprites.
    Has Jpans hacked engine and Mrdollsteaks bases.
    Player OW changing has been made and finished

Cons:
    Its FR(lol jk)
    Tilesets dont have a set size(afaik) like in Em both main and sec tilesets are the same sizes FR's wont be.
    removing rival naming is a pain.

Em Pros:
    Much funner to hack, in that you have to figure stuff out for yourself. No FR hackers gonna wanna help you and there arent very many EM hackers so the community is small but lovely.
    Titlescreen can glow.
    No need to remove Rival naming if you dont want that.
    MUCH more overworld palettes by default. Both games can be expanded for palettes but if you don't want to hassle that then go EM.
    I hack Em, thus everyone who matters hacks Em.
    We now have the 650 base(which is awesome btw)
    has dive and tall grass in by default
    Multiple bikes
    Berry system by default
    RTC by default

Em Cons:
    The default overworlds are ugly.
    More doc on FR
    Changing the "Pokemon" logo location on the title screen is a pain in the ass.(nearly impossible)
    DLSN isnt finished yet.
    Expanding pokemon is a pain,(but we have 650 patch so you really dont need to)

This is just the main basics but it should help you.

If anyone wants to add anything to this please do so.
    Thank you. FireRed is the way to go from what I'm understanding. I was most worried about not have a RTC and berries, but both of those can be implemented into FR it seems. I've noticed that the very first tileset is slightly larger in FireRed, too, so that might come in handy in the future.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • If you open the world map with A-Map 1.92, you'll notice that each tile on the map can have a top layer and a bottom layer map name. In a vanilla fire red rom, the top layer is used for caves, forests, and other types of maps that are "within" another map. That's what the red text is; top layer maps. You can "make" it white by changing it to the bottom layer location, but you can't have two maps with white text on the same tile (without going through and editing the actual map loading routine).

Edit: actually I guess there could be a theoretical solution through text editing, if those map names are more like text boxes that are being fed colored text, and not an image, though I'm not sure how you'd go about it.
    I've noticed that the red text ones have a flying/display flag of FFFF unlike the regular locations with the orange text. I did extend the flight table so it is very likely for me to give them a flying/display flag, but I have to sort out this glitch with flying first. Whenever I attempt to fly to a place (the fly animation starts), but when I am supposed to reach the other map, the game turns into a black screen. Why is that?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Thank you. FireRed is the way to go from what I'm understanding. I was most worried about not have a RTC and berries, but both of those can be implemented into FR it seems. I've noticed that the very first tileset is slightly larger in FireRed, too, so that might come in handy in the future.
    That's actually a negative. FireRed has a main tileset that is 128 tiles longer, but the secondary tilesets are 128 tiles shorter. You could think of this as FireRed "forcing" 128 tiles that Emerald would have allowed to differentiate with every secondary tileset. That said, you can have triple layer blocks with FireRed allowing tileset space saving, so it may be a wash.

I've noticed that the red text ones have a flying/display flag of FFFF unlike the regular locations with the orange text. I did extend the flight table so it is very likely for me to give them a flying/display flag, but I have to sort out this glitch with flying first. Whenever I attempt to fly to a place (the fly animation starts), but when I am supposed to reach the other map, the game turns into a black screen. Why is that?
    Apologies, I completely misread your question. I thought you were asking why the text was colored; not why the colors were different. I didn't even notice the difference in color on my phone. You're welcome for being of no help, as it looks like you found your answer anyways :P I'm not sure what specifically is wrong with the new flying spots, but maybe you should test them all out and see exactly what all of the "black screen" spots have in common.

Last edited:
    Years
  • There's really, really, reeeally no way I can make an image have two or more palettes? I need more than 16 colors for an image, that's really that impossible?
    Also, how can I count the number of colors my image has? Paint doesn't have that feature, and I don't believe Photoshop does too. I tried it with IrfanView, but that just blurred the image, so it got waaaay more colors...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    There's really, really, reeeally no way I can make an image have two or more palettes? I need more than 16 colors for an image, that's really that impossible?
    Also, how can I count the number of colors my image has? Paint doesn't have that feature, and I don't believe Photoshop does too. I tried it with IrfanView, but that just blurred the image, so it got waaaay more colors...
    I'd be surprised if photoshop didn't have it, but because I don't use photoshop, Gimp -> Colors -> Info -> Colorcube Analysis.

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    There's really, really, reeeally no way I can make an image have two or more palettes? I need more than 16 colors for an image, that's really that impossible?

Irfan view > Image > Decrease colour depth > 16

Shitik

Generic Bio
    Years
  • Hi how do I remove the intro music of a battle...
    Like if I'm encountering Gary and no battle intro music plays, how do I do that

Years
  • I'd be surprised if photoshop didn't have it, but because I don't use photoshop, Gimp -> Colors -> Info -> Colorcube Analysis.

I don't how to use Photoshop properly, just saying something I read looking for it.

Irfan view > Image > Decrease colour depth > 16

I decreased the color depth of the image to 16 colors, it worked very well, to my surprise. Still, I want to know how many colors there is in the image, so I can know what colors I can safely and easily replace (if need be). But decreasing the color depth already worked well, if I can't find an alternative.

xGal

Mhm
    Years
  • Does anyone know what are the numbers in UNLZ for the Kanto and Sevii islands worldmaps?

Thanks in advance.

Shinygir

YAY! WE'RE DOOMED!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    is there a plug-in for the NSE 2.1 that allows me to edit Pokemon sprites for r/s/e?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    Hi fellas.

I'm thinking of making a hack and have been working on an overworld sprite, but I don't really know what dimensions I should be working with, as I've never done this before, What size does it need to be? Is there a strict rule on proportions otherwise the game won't accept the sprite?

I would post what I have so far but I can't because I haven't posted 5 times, yet.

Years
  • Hi fellas.

I'm thinking of making a hack and have been working on an overworld sprite, but I don't really know what dimensions I should be working with, as I've never done this before, What size does it need to be? Is there a strict rule on proportions otherwise the game won't accept the sprite?

I would post what I have so far but I can't because I haven't posted 5 times, yet.

There are actually tools that allow you to change the overworld without having to insert them (Yay!). Look up NSE (Nameless Sprite Editor) or Overworld Editor.

Forgot to mention you can insert the images you have already made just make sure you save the images as bmp.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    There are actually tools that allow you to change the overworld without having to insert them (Yay!). Look up NSE (Nameless Sprite Editor) or Overworld Editor.

Forgot to mention you can insert the images you have already made just make sure you save the images as bmp.

I used NSE Classic and got my OW into the game, but by inserting my own palette for use, it not only changed the palette for the female protag but the male one, too. Is this because they both use the same palette? Can you not add a new palette into the game to avoid this?

Years
  • I used NSE Classic and got my OW into the game, but by inserting my own palette for use, it not only changed the palette for the female protag but the male one, too. Is this because they both use the same palette? Can you not add a new palette into the game to avoid this?

Yes the boy and girl hero both share the same palette. I am not sure how to add a new palette, someone else is going to have to answer that, but a trick I like to do is change the palette to most similar one with the colors I want to use. That does not change the palette the other sprites are using .

Years
  • I tried looking but couldn't find an answer. I'm also pretty new, so this might be a stupid question.

What is a level script? There's all those tutorials and stuff, but what are they used to accomplish? I tried looking at them but don't go past the first part for lack of understanding what is trying to be accomplished.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back