• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Check the .ini section for your game, and find the "learnedmoves" field; that's where the movepool pointer table is. They're in order by species, and prefixed by the slot 0 mon if memory serves; the second pointer will be to Bulbasaur's moves, the third to Ivysaur's, etc.

If you're on unexpanded FR, the offset should be 0x25d7b4, but this will obviously be different on any other version or if you've expanded the dex.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    Hi guys I am making hack and inserting new tile but when ever I ASD it become blur in tileset if it coem clear in tileset but when I add it at blockblockset it colours become change and and it become blur tell how to fix it

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016
    Is there any tutorials that teach how to edit primary tilesets not secondary tileset. I've been having no problems after editing the secondary tileset but after replacing the primary one im getting glitches and behaviour bytes like reflection on water and waterfall even though its not there on the tile.

Years
    I'll change HM 01, from Cut to Slash. Is there a way to search for all "CUT" mentions in the game so I can change them to "Slash"?
    Since there are decap tools that look for every CAP WORD and change them, I thought this could be possible.
    Is it?

Years
    I'll change HM 01, from Cut to Slash. Is there a way to search for all "CUT" mentions in the game so I can change them to "Slash"?
    Since there are decap tools that look for every CAP WORD and change them, I thought this could be possible.
    Is it?
    No. You can find CUT with a hex editor and a document on PokéASCII, but that won't work. Slash is two characters longer than CUT, which means that you'd have to repoint each bit of text that has CUT to use Slash instead.
    I suggest just using tools like G3T and XSE to repoint the little bits that really matter like the [blank] used CUT! to [blank] used Slash! and the item description of HM01 though.

Years
    No. You can find CUT with a hex editor and a document on PokéASCII, but that won't work. Slash is two characters longer than CUT, which means that you'd have to repoint each bit of text that has CUT to use Slash instead.
    I suggest just using tools like G3T and XSE to repoint the little bits that really matter like the [blank] used CUT! to [blank] used Slash! and the item description of HM01 though.

I'll just replace the necessary. Just wanted to know if there was an easier way to find what is necessary. =P
    I'm changing 3 HMs actually. HAHAHAHA Lots of stuff to change, even necessary.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    I asked a similar question some time earlier, but it was in regards to FireRed. Does anybody know how to go about changing the Birch intro screen background in Emerald? It's normally just a black background with a slight colored gradient at the top. Here's an image of the area I'm asking about. I'd like to import an actual background instead.

Quick Questions & Answers

Any help would be appreciated!

Years
    So I tried changing HM 1 from Cut to Slash.
    I've been able to do it, using it with no badges (had to remove for Cut or Slash, doesn't really matter), in cut trees, no problem.
    One problem I'm having. How can I make an attack appear in the summary? In blue, like other attacks like Dig or Teleport do?
    I'm also thinking of letting both Slash and Cut (and maybe some other attacks too) to cut trees. Is that possible?

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    (Fire Red) So let me get this straight-in A-Trainer if I'm adding pokemon to the Gym Leaders rosters all I have to do is use Free Space Finder and use the offset it finds as the repoint and it'll work?

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2017
    Hi, is there a way to make the Player sprite change in emerald using scripts, I was able to do it in Jpans hacked firered engine but i don't know if its the same or not.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    I asked a similar question some time earlier, but it was in regards to FireRed. Does anybody know how to go about changing the Birch intro screen background in Emerald? It's normally just a black background with a slight colored gradient at the top. Here's an image of the area I'm asking about. I'd like to import an actual background instead.

Quick Questions & Answers

Any help would be appreciated!

Figured it out. Thanks for the help guys :p

For future reference, the offsets for the image and raw file are 082FED3C and 082FEEF0 respectively. Numbers are somewhere around 55 and 56 in unLZ.

EDIT: APE pallette offset is dde418

Last edited:

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
    I have a little question.

How to modify the effect of the item "Light Ball"? I wanna extend the amount of pokes capables of boost their stats and not only pikachu.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Back again. Could somebody give me the breakdown on the pros and cons of both Firered and Emerald as far as hacking is concerned?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Back again. Could somebody give me the breakdown on the pros and cons of both Firered and Emerald as far as hacking is concerned?

FR Pros:
    More documentation thus more routines being made for it.
    Title screen is far more customizable.
    Expanding the Pokemon is vastly easier due to G3HS
    Has rival naming
    Expanding Overworlds has been done.(Em is being worked on by Touched in DSLN)
    Has those cool Landon/may ow sprites.
    Has Jpans hacked engine and Mrdollsteaks bases.
    Player OW changing has been made and finished

Cons:
    Its FR(lol jk)
    Tilesets dont have a set size(afaik) like in Em both main and sec tilesets are the same sizes FR's wont be.
    removing rival naming is a pain.

Em Pros:
    Much funner to hack, in that you have to figure stuff out for yourself. No FR hackers gonna wanna help you and there arent very many EM hackers so the community is small but lovely.
    Titlescreen can glow.
    No need to remove Rival naming if you dont want that.
    MUCH more overworld palettes by default. Both games can be expanded for palettes but if you don't want to hassle that then go EM.
    I hack Em, thus everyone who matters hacks Em.
    We now have the 650 base(which is awesome btw)
    has dive and tall grass in by default
    Multiple bikes
    Berry system by default
    RTC by default

Em Cons:
    The default overworlds are ugly.
    More doc on FR
    Changing the "Pokemon" logo location on the title screen is a pain in the ass.(nearly impossible)
    DLSN isnt finished yet.
    Expanding pokemon is a pain,(but we have 650 patch so you really dont need to)

This is just the main basics but it should help you.

If anyone wants to add anything to this please do so.

Years
    FR Pros:
    More documentation thus more routines being made for it.
    Title screen is far more customizable.
    Expanding the Pokemon is vastly easier due to G3HS
    Has rival naming
    Expanding Overworlds has been done.(Em is being worked on by Touched in DSLN)
    Has those cool Landon/may ow sprites.
    Has Jpans hacked engine and Mrdollsteaks bases.
    Player OW changing has been made and finished

Cons:
    Its FR(lol jk)
    Tilesets dont have a set size(afaik) like in Em both main and sec tilesets are the same sizes FR's wont be.
    removing rival naming is a pain.

Em Pros:
    Much funner to hack, in that you have to figure stuff out for yourself. No FR hackers gonna wanna help you and there arent very many EM hackers so the community is small but lovely.
    Titlescreen can glow.
    No need to remove Rival naming if you dont want that.
    MUCH more overworld palettes by default. Both games can be expanded for palettes but if you don't want to hassle that then go EM.
    I hack Em, thus everyone who matters hacks Em.
    We now have the 650 base(which is awesome btw)
    has dive and tall grass in by default
    Multiple bikes
    Berry system by default
    RTC by default

Em Cons:
    The default overworlds are ugly.
    More doc on FR
    Changing the "Pokemon" logo location on the title screen is a pain in the ass.(nearly impossible)
    DLSN isnt finished yet.
    Expanding pokemon is a pain,(but we have 650 patch so you really dont need to)

This is just the main basics but it should help you.

If anyone wants to add anything to this please do so.

I've always wondered. What do you guys mean by Overworld?
    I thought it was the area where you walk your character, buy stuff, look for Pokémon in grass, try to dodge being seen when all your Pokémon are about to die, etc.
    But with phrases like "Expanding Overworlds has been done.", I get confused.
    I thought you would mean by this that new tiles are available, but something tell's me it's not that...

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    I've always wondered. What do you guys mean by Overworld?
    I thought it was the area where you walk your character, buy stuff, look for Pokémon in grass, try to dodge being seen when all your Pokémon are about to die, etc.
    But with phrases like "Expanding Overworlds has been done.", I get confused.
    I thought you would mean by this that new tiles are available, but something tell's me it's not that...
    Yea I meant Overworld Sprites, sry. Just assume anytime I say OW I mean OW Sprites.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Maybe not the place to ask this, but what the hell. Is it possible for me to do a "lava tile" by just changing the water tiles to be red (in other words, changing its palette when I want it to work as lava)?
    But then you're also affecting everything else that uses those shades of blue, not to mention the fact that your lava will just look like red water. The better solution is to use LU-HO's Tileset Animation Editor and insert actual (good) lava frames.

Last edited:
    Years
    But then you're also affecting everything else that uses those shades of blue, not to mention the fact that your lava will just look like red water. The better solution is to use LU-HO's Tileset Animation Editor and insert actual (good) lava frames.

I was actually thinking about the behavior bytes, but then there's that too. I'm actually far from doing it, but I'm already thinking of doing the next things.
    Thanks a lot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back