• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yayacomma

Fantastic, Dah-ling!
Years
  • Hi, I have a question about downloading Advance Map. I don't know if it's been asked before (I did try and see), but when I try to download it, my virus protection stops me from downloading, saying the link is malware. How do I download Advance Map without running into this problem?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Hi, I have a question about downloading Advance Map. I don't know if it's been asked before (I did try and see), but when I try to download it, my virus protection stops me from downloading, saying the link is malware. How do I download Advance Map without running into this problem?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3zcke4suj1v318/am1.92.zip?dl=0

Here's 1.92 Amap, it has support for expanded Pokémon if you decide to try that out. If you want to set that up let me know so I can explain it.

yayacomma

Fantastic, Dah-ling!
    Years
  • Here's 1.92 Amap, it has support for expanded Pokémon if you decide to try that out. If you want to set that up let me know so I can explain it.

When I try to open Amap, it gives me an error about the \Ini\ directory not existing when it does. How can I fix this? Also, I'd be interested in having expanded Pokémon!

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • When I try to open Amap, it gives me an error about the \Ini\ directory not existing when it does. How can I fix this? Also, I'd be interested in having expanded Pokémon!

You have to actually unzip and save the stuff and things into a folder..

Expanded Pokémon support I meant, for wild Pokémon. Amap doesn't add Pokémon. There are tutorials for that.

yayacomma

Fantastic, Dah-ling!
    Years
  • You have to actually unzip and save the stuff and things into a folder..

Expanded Pokémon support I meant, for wild Pokémon. Amap doesn't add Pokémon. There are tutorials for that.

I already did unzip and extract the contents of the ZIP into a folder - it won't work. I know that Amap doesn't add Pokémon, but I'd like to know how to use the Expanded Pokémon support.

Years
  • Okay, I'm REALLY confused looking at the tile system.
    Can anyone explain me the difference between a grass tile animation (which seem to be actually the behavior byte) and the water moving in the sea?
    I was trying to replicate that "volcano ash grass" animation and I was looking at this tutorial: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619
    I opened my ROM with this tool, but couldn't find the grass animation.
    Then I realized the grass animation only happens when you step over that tile, it's not continuously animated. It animates only when stepped on.
    I also remembered that when I was looking for Pokémon appearing on sand tiles, I put the behavior bytes for the grass animation on sand, and it looked really weird, but no fights. Just the animation over sand.
    Can anyone help make sense out of this?

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Okay, I'm REALLY confused looking at the tile system.
    Can anyone explain me the difference between a grass tile animation (which seem to be actually the behavior byte) and the water moving in the sea?
    I was trying to replicate that "volcano ash grass" animation and I was looking at this tutorial: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619
    I opened my ROM with this tool, but couldn't find the grass animation.
    Then I realized the grass animation only happens when you step over that tile, it's not continuously animated. It animates only when stepped on.
    I also remembered that when I was looking for Pokémon appearing on sand tiles, I put the behavior bytes for the grass animation on sand, and it looked really weird, but no fights. Just the animation over sand.
    Can anyone help make sense out of this?

The top bytes in amap are the actual physical animations. The bottom ones cause what the tile does to you, 10 in emerald and 20 in fr are to appear below players.
    So it goes like this:
    Code:
    10/20 - Player above tiles
    11/21 - Player above tiles and wild battle
    12/22 - Player above tiles and water battle

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • I've just noticed that using the blue help menu basically resets some flags (or messes with my level scripts on the map that I use it). Is it possible to disable it completely through a simple hex edit?

Years
  • The top bytes in amap are the actual physical animations. The bottom ones cause what the tile does to you, 10 in emerald and 20 in fr are to appear below players.
    So it goes like this:
    Code:
    10/20 - Player above tiles
    11/21 - Player above tiles and wild battle
    12/22 - Player above tiles and water battle

I've read some stuff about this 10/20 thing and "Block covered by hero".
    But when I check the Grass tile that contains the wild battle, its Behavior byte is "02 02/Grass animation (Pokémon)" and its Background byte is "00/01/01".
    Check this:
    View attachment 76085
    To set wild battles in sand, I used the Background byte. The Behavior byte would only affect the animation.
    I wanna know if there is any animation for those "Volcano Ash Grass" from Emerald (like unused in Fire Red) or where can I discover each animation so I can know what I'll use.
    Also, I would like to know how to make another animation like this, that happens when the player steps on it.

It's different from the continuously animations that are editable in this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619. I know it's different cause I checked every and each of the Tilesets of Fire Red. No grass animations there, only water, flowers and things that don't stop moving even if you touch them.

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I've read some stuff about this 10/20 thing and "Block covered by hero".
    But when I check the Grass tile that contains the wild battle, its Behavior byte is "02 02/Grass animation (Pokémon)" and its Background byte is "00/01/01".
    Check this:
    View attachment 76085
    To set wild battles in sand, I used the Background byte. The Behavior byte would only affect the animation.
    I wanna know if there is any animation for those "Volcano Ash Grass" from Emerald (like unused in Fire Red) or where can I discover each animation so I can know what I'll use.
    Also, I would like to know how to make another animation like this, that happens when the player steps on it.

It's different from the continuously animations that are editable in this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619. I know it's different cause I checked every and each of the Tilesets of Fire Red. No grass animations there, only water, flowers and things that don't stop moving even if you touch them.

The 1X series (10,11,12) is for the player appearing above the top layer in Emerald (2X series in FR)
    The 0X series does the same thing, 0 being below, 1 being below but wild battle, 2 being below but water battle.

That grass block is on the bottom layer, hence it doesn't need 11, it can survive with just 1. The animation does not make it encounter Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    I'm new here so not sure if this is where to post this this question. I have the nds4ios emulator on my phone and platinum diamond and pearl all work even hg and ss and all their hacks. But with black and white and b2 and w2 the game always crashes in the dreamyard. Even so in the hack versions blaze and volt. Anyone know the problem or know where I can get a version that doesn't crash or how to fix it? Thanks.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Does anyone know why/ how to fix this problem I'm having? I found an OW in emerald that had one frame, so I went ahead and repointed it, did all that shit to give it 9, all different, but when I try it in game, and I make it move around, it only uses one.. I've tried making it Standard instead of object, btw

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Does anyone know why/ how to fix this problem I'm having? I found an OW in emerald that had one frame, so I went ahead and repointed it, did all that shit to give it 9, all different, but when I try it in game, and I make it move around, it only uses one.. I've tried making it Standard instead of object, btw
    Change the palette register, irc anything above 30 causes the sprite to only use the first frame. But also remember that no 2 palettes can share registers 0-9, and if you have a pal register on multiple palettes that uses b-f it will get ugly, but as long as they stay on separate maps its fine. (also afaik the first number of the register means jack shit, its all about the 2nd number)

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Change the palette register, irc anything above 30 causes the sprite to only use the first frame. But also remember that no 2 palettes can share registers 0-9, and if you have a pal register on multiple palettes that uses b-f it will get ugly, but as long as they stay on separate maps its fine. (also afaik the first number of the register means jack shit, its all about the 2nd number)

He's talking about the amount of OW frames, not the palette slot in RAM.

Joexv

Years
  • He's talking about the amount of OW frames, not the palette slot in RAM.
    Yes I realize that. in emerald, idk if it does this in fire red, but the pal register will affect the amount of frames the sprite uses.

Funnygameer4354

Hacking Newbie
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2015
    Hi guys!
    So I'm working on a 3rd gen pokemon hack, since I'm new to hacking, and its going to be about darkrai and cresselia, so I've been trying to add them into the game, but it looks like all I can do is replace an existing pokemon. I don't want to do that, so how do I add a new pokemon, including adding it to the pokedex, and as a person sprite (like the legendary birds when you find them are standing there. I want that for darkrai and cresselia) without replacing an existing pokemon?

P.S. I'm trying to practice my hacking skills on an older game before I move on to the DS ones. Please don't just tell me to hack a ds version.

Last edited:

Joexv

Years
  • Hi guys!
    So I'm working on a 3rd gen pokemon hack, since I'm new to hacking, and its going to be about darkrai and cresselia, so I've been trying to add them into the game, but it looks like all I can do is replace an existing pokemon. I don't want to do that, so how do I add a new pokemon, including adding it to the pokedex, and as a person sprite (like the legendary birds when you find them are standing there. I want that for darkrai and cresselia) without replacing an existing pokemon?

P.S. I'm trying to practice my hacking skills on an older game before I move on to the DS ones. Please don't just tell me to hack a ds version.

Well depending on if you're hacking Fire Red or Emerald,
    For FR theres a program called G3HS that will let you expand your Pokemon simply at the touch of a button.

If you're hacking Emerald on the other hand, its not so simple, you have to do it by hand:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324892

Although you can do it by hand for FR if you really feel like it, but honestly theres no point to.

I have a question myself, does anybody happen to have the offsets(image,raw,palette) for the Team Magma battle symbol?(the one that appears before fighting them)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back