• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Is it okay to allow a Pokemon to give you more than 3 EVs in a stat upon being defeated in G3HS?

Because of the way EVs are stored in the ROM, it is impossible for more than 3 EVs to be given for a specific stat (although you could give 3 for every stat if you felt like it).

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2018
    I have a question, do the pokemon sprites have to be 16 full shades, like 15 for the pokes, 1 for the background, or can it be like 9 shades for the poke if its all it needs, and 1 shade for the background and still work??

And the map tiles, is there a palette limit?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I have a question, do the pokemon sprites have to be 16 full shades, like 15 for the pokes, 1 for the background, or can it be like 9 shades for the poke if its all it needs, and 1 shade for the background and still work??

And the map tiles, is there a palette limit?
    Yes it still works.

Yes, you can have 2 tilesets for a single map (primary and secondary), and each tileset uses 6 palettes of 16 colors.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2018
    Im getting furious, ive been indexing this damn title screen for over 2 hours, and unzl says they are not indexed out of noowhere ive been following multiple guides to the damn point. Wth Is going on?

heres what ive used:

I have gotten passed this part but i do not understand what the hell is going on all the sudden. ive deleted files i made and started from scratch on clean roms as well. nothing changes this forsaken outcome

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • Is there a way to assign the player's money balance to a var upon entering a map, then comparing it to itself later (to see if the balance is different)? Or a similar method of something like this?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Is there a way to assign the player's money balance to a var upon entering a map, then comparing it to itself later (to see if the balance is different)? Or a similar method of something like this?

If you're just looking for a specific amount of money, then use checkmoney. Like if you are just checking to see if the person has 5000 bucks then

checkmoney 5000 0
    compare LASTRESULT 1
    if 0x1 goto @HasMoney

or if you type your commands in hex ...

checkmoney 0x1388 0x0
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @HasMoney

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • If you're just looking for a specific amount of money, then use checkmoney. Like if you are just checking to see if the person has 5000 bucks then

checkmoney 5000 0
    compare LASTRESULT 1
    if 0x1 goto @HasMoney

or if you type your commands in hex ...

checkmoney 0x1388 0x0
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @HasMoney

Alright, thank you for telling me about checkmoney. What I meant more specifically, though, was: is it possible to retrieve the player's current balance and then remember that amount for later?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    In Fire Red, why are there two Saffron City maps, and which one should I use for editing? Or should I just make a new map with four exits and overwrite the old one?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    In Fire Red, why are there two Saffron City maps, and which one should I use for editing? Or should I just make a new map with four exits and overwrite the old one?

There are two Saffron City maps because one is used for map connections, while the second is the one you actually interact with. If you want to make a new map you could edit either one, but if you want to keep the map the same except the events, just edit the one that has events already. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Does anyone know a way to create an NPC that, rather than being assigned a specific overworld, looks at a specific byte in ram and uses that byte to load images from a list of pointers? Think GSC daycare.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • I'm at a loss as to why this script isn't working. I assigned the var 0x402B and value to 0 to the script tile but I freeze up every time I step on it. Can anyone help me? I'm not good at proofreading my own scripts...
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you, Lost Heart, for the answer about Saffron.

After a little bit I've begun to have my tile-insertion problem once more. However, this time I've narrowed the problem down to a specific point. When I take a tileset from the game (what I mean by "tileset" is the thing called Palette 7, 8, etc.) and either delete what was on it originally or have my tiles cover the picture, the map becomes glitchy. Does anyone know how to add large images onto these tilesets without breaking the game this way?

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • Thank you, Lost Heart, for the answer about Saffron.

After a little bit I've begun to have my tile-insertion problem once more. However, this time I've narrowed the problem down to a specific point. When I take a tileset from the game (what I mean by "tileset" is the thing called Palette 7, 8, etc.) and either delete what was on it originally or have my tiles cover the picture, the map becomes glitchy. Does anyone know how to add large images onto these tilesets without breaking the game this way?

Not sure if you saw it, but look back a page or two at my reply to your original post about that. I'm assuming that's what happened to you. If not, I'm not sure, then; my knowledge of mapping and sprites is very limited.

Edit: Either it didn't post or I'm overlooking it. Anyway, what I had said was that I ran into the same tileset problem as you had. Assuming you're hacking FireRed, don't overwrite these tiles or any like them (these ones, for example, are animated, and the game doesn't like you overwriting animated tiles; it will act as if the animated tiles are still there when you go in game):

Quick Questions & Answers

Hopefully that can help.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi, I am new to PC and I am working on my first hack. Its a hack of fire red and I've entered a givepokemon script which works fine but once I leave that map and go back there is changes to the map(SS Anne appears in the house with the givepokemon script and the person event is no longer there). Also I have noticed that maps I have not yet altered have blacked out. I was going to change these anyway but is this a problem? Will this make the rom unplayable in the future?

Another question. I would like to upload the rom if someone was willing to check the rom for any errors but am I allowed to post hacked roms?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • Hi, I am new to PC and I am working on my first hack. Its a hack of fire red and I've entered a givepokemon script which works fine but once I leave that map and go back there is changes to the map(SS Anne appears in the house with the givepokemon script and the person event is no longer there). Also I have noticed that maps I have not yet altered have blacked out. I was going to change these anyway but is this a problem? Will this make the rom unplayable in the future?

Another question. I would like to upload the rom if someone was willing to check the rom for any errors but am I allowed to post hacked roms?

You are not allowed to post a direct link to the rom, but ips/ups patches are allowed.
    Have you tried replacing the person event? The SS Anne is actually a person sprite I believe, so it sounds like that part is just something with the person itself. If replacing it doesn't/didn't work, would you mind posting the script?

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • Hello guys just asking if anyone here has already edited the background at Proffesor Oaks Intro in Firered if you do . Can you please share the pallete offsets of It . I found the BG image and the RAW by using Unlz it is on 338 and 339 (if you didnt do anything to your ROM that would make it move or be repointed ), and now i succesfully found the first Pallete offset , the bg i inserted is correct when there is no sprite in the screen like when prof.oak asks you if your a boy or a girl, im guessing that the bg image has 2 pallete offset the one without any Sprites and the one with a sprite , If anyone could help me with these i will share it to others too and will give credit to the one who helped . and if you do have the pallete offset for Prof.Oak and Rival Big sprite at intro I will post a tutorial about Replacing the Intro Big Sprites and as well as the background and of course giving credits to the one who helped . Thanks in advance and sorry for the long question :)
    (Please qoute this if you want to reply so i will be notified ;) thanks again )

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • Im getting furious, ive been indexing this damn title screen for over 2 hours, and unzl says they are not indexed out of noowhere ive been following multiple guides to the damn point. Wth Is going on?

heres what ive used:

I have gotten passed this part but i do not understand what the hell is going on all the sudden. ive deleted files i made and started from scratch on clean roms as well. nothing changes this forsaken outcome

Spoiler:

Years
  • You are not allowed to post a direct link to the rom, but ips/ups patches are allowed.
    Have you tried replacing the person event? The SS Anne is actually a person sprite I believe, so it sounds like that part is just something with the person itself. If replacing it doesn't/didn't work, would you mind posting the script?

Hi thanks for helping! This is my script:
    Spoiler:

Ive also noticed that the lock and faceplayer commands stops working after I receive the pokemon.
    Quick question is it best to create and insert new maps rather than edit old ones?
    Also this is the script for player name \v\h01. what is it for rival name? Is there list of these I can get from somewhere or is it just these 2?
    Here are some screenshots.

I have worked what the problem was if anyone is interested.
    I was setting the person id as the setflag as you would if you wanted to hidesprite but without the hidesprite command. That's what was causing the error.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back