• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RANT TIME. (discuss about ragequitting in this thread)

Years
  • So after a hiatus I'm back into PvP battles, but I just wanna point out some seriously screwball annoyances in the current metagame regarding many other players. There's a couple of things that irk me. A lot.

Firstly, the ever-present ragequit issue. You would've though that after four months of Competitive inactivity, I'd come back to see a slightly more honourable online community. No such luck.
    The issue's still here, it's just changed somewhat. It's no longer "noobs" who employ this "tactic" - it's the self-proclaimed "pros". It seems newer players have learned their lesson since X&Y, but the thing they did that "pros" hated most has become the very thing I'm seeing more and more from them.
    Here's an example:
    ~ Started a battle today - opponent has played 334 battles and won 272 of them. Seems like quite the veteran. Okay, fine. (In ORAS, I currently have 11 wins to 10 losses).
    ~ First turn, my Avalugg vs. Opponent's Garchomp. Avalugg eats up an Earthquake easily: the move doesn't even knock it down to 50% HP. Retaliates with Avalanche, OHKO's Garchomp.
    ~ Second turn, Opponent sends in Greninja. I switch into Goodra to tank the anticipated Grass Knot, which would be deadly to Avalugg even with its massive Defense. I predicted right and Goodra eats the Grass Knot easily - doesn't even leave a dent.
    ~ Third turn, Goodra takes Ice Beam form Greninja easily and Draco Meteor OHKO's Greninja.
    ~ Fourth turn, Opponent brings out Kangaskhan. I predict a Mega Evolution and switch to Cofagrigus to block the anticipated Powerup Punch.
    ~ Fifth turn, I predicted correctly and the Powerup Punch is walled.
    ~ Sixth turn, Opponent's Sucker Punch fails and I get a will-o-wisp on.
    ~ Seventh turn, Sucker Punch from M-Kangaskhan fails again - possibly anticipating Dark Pulse. I get a Mean Look up, and M-Kangaskhan is good as doomed.

Then what happens? The frickin' coward disconnects from the battle! I know he ragequit and there was no connection problem - if there was, his avatar wouldn't have faded. Brilliant, just 'cause he was losing. At least go down with some dignity!
    I hate the fact that the annoyance that all PvP players despised became a last resort for the "pros". They should know better. I believe many "pros" nowadays think they're invincible and can never lose - so when they do, they don't accept it. It's pathetic. Whether you're a newbie or a VGC Champ, the simple fact is that you're NOT gonna win all the time. Frankly, veterans should behave better than this. If I had any shred of respect left for the majority of the Pokemon Online Community, it's gone now (no disrespect to any Pokecommunity members - you guys rock. I mean online players as a whole and am not trying to start a flame war.)

Second, and as far as I know this is a fairly new thing: I've noticed that many players are giving their 'Mons nicknames whose purpose is to mock, threaten or belittle other players. For instance, someone I battled had a Staraptor called "Wallbreaker". This may seem harmless, but to me it's a way of flipping off your opponent - "yeah, you got a wall. Guess what, you still suck, this guy's gonna murder you, NOOB". I admit this may be me being biased to my anti-humanitarian views, but this just seems LOW to me. Another example is including your Pokemons' EV's and IV's in their names - It's pretty much a way of saying, "look how much stronger my Pokemon are than yours, you suck, I'm gonna beat you easily". Once again, this is childish and players should know better.
    (Ironically, it's often the very people who do this that ragequit when you gain the advantage.)

These are just a couple of observations I've made. Once again, no hate to anyone on P.C. intended, but I'm just gonna make the assumption that you all fight fair.
    If you have opinions pertaining to this post or want to share any other examples of dishonourable conduct, COMMENT!

~Khaotic

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    sup ya know that day, i fought this user called dark_azelf. he ragequitted when my manaphy and gothitelle core beat his mantine, what a noob! at least go down with dignity man... he even nicknamed his mantine "special wall", it seems like nothing at first, but it actually means "im a defensive pokemon, you aint beating me loser!"

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I battled this guy called revere. All his pokemon were obnoxiously fat. I found that offensive because due to his pokemons adipose tissue, they are seriously endangering themselves and possibly him (due to them falling on him, their own orbit, stench or even eating him etc). I mean, arterial sclerosis, atherosclerosis, diabetes and a whole other host of issues arises from said "moobs". I find this irresponsible on his part because literally the last gym he made them go to had pokemon in it. Even then, he lost so his pokemon couldnt get the necessary cardio or resistance training to facilitate weight loss or improved health. I feel he also sets them a bad example because like their trainer, they eat a low protein high twinkie diet.

I feel we should ban user revere due to this, eventually people will ragequit over this so i feel its absolutely necessary for everyone.

Also using Gothitelle takes no skill and because it traps stuff, it means he is trapped in his ways, fat, bad at battling and as a whole this is a viscous cycle leading to depression and further complications on both his pokemon and his part for losing.

Years
  • I dont have a very strong team yet so when I battle, usually I lose. I'd never ragequit though. Rather go down with a fight and learn more about battles than be a total jerk and quit.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • If it is obvious that I am about to lose, I will quit just because I don't want to waste anymore time with the lost game. Sounds to me like the other people who I quit on are "raging" more than I am, haha.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    To be honest, I don't see the big deal with rage quitting. I see nothing wrong in knowing you're going to lose and rather than waste your time, just forfeit and move on.

Years
  • Rage quitting and forfeiting are different. Forfeiting is conceding defeat and giving the match to the opponent. Nothing wrong with that. Rage quitting is disconnecting from the battle by means other than a fair forfeit, thereby disallowing your opponent the win. It sucks.

Years
  • When I battle, I go in all the way, even if I lose. That's just my mentality with everything. But it pisses me off so much when someone ragequits. Like a forfeit I can understand, they already know they lost and they just wanna get it over with, but that makes me slightly mad. Ragequitting on the other hand...that's annoying.

But yes, anyone who battles me be able to go all the way to the end. I don't like the idea of me forfeiting.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    i would like to highlight some assumptions (ik the difference between experiences and assumptions are tyvm) the op has made, before moving on to my point:

Firstly, the ever-present ragequit issue. You would've though that after four months of Competitive inactivity, I'd come back to see a slightly more honourable online community. No such luck.
    The issue's still here, it's just changed somewhat. It's no longer "noobs" who employ this "tactic" - it's the self-proclaimed "pros". It seems newer players have learned their lesson since X&Y, but the thing they did that "pros" hated most has become the very thing I'm seeing more and more from them.
    hardly makes any sense. what makes you think that more people are proclaiming themselves as 'pros'? (except for geopass users which are truly annoying)

Then what happens? The frickin' coward disconnects from the battle! I know he ragequit and there was no connection problem - if there was, his avatar wouldn't have faded. Brilliant, just 'cause he was losing. At least go down with some dignity!
    I hate the fact that the annoyance that all PvP players despised became a last resort for the "pros". They should know better. I believe many "pros" nowadays think they're invincible and can never lose - so when they do, they don't accept it. It's pathetic. Whether you're a newbie or a VGC Champ, the simple fact is that you're NOT gonna win all the time. Frankly, veterans should behave better than this.
    okay, you're assuming that the person ragequitted. he could have had something more important that had to be done. and let's say you're in a position that you're guaranteed to lose, i see no reason to continue playing (in other words = wasting your time). you're also assuming that the 'pros' think that they're unbeatable (maybe elf but meh). just because someone has played over like 300+ battles doesn't necessarily make them a 'veteran' or 'pro'.

Second, and as far as I know this is a fairly new thing: I've noticed that many players are giving their 'Mons nicknames whose purpose is to mock, threaten or belittle other players. For instance, someone I battled had a Staraptor called "Wallbreaker". This may seem harmless, but to me it's a way of flipping off your opponent - "yeah, you got a wall. Guess what, you still suck, this guy's gonna murder you, NOOB". I admit this may be me being biased to my anti-humanitarian views, but this just seems LOW to me. Another example is including your Pokemons' EV's and IV's in their names - It's pretty much a way of saying, "look how much stronger my Pokemon are than yours, you suck, I'm gonna beat you easily". Once again, this is childish and players should know better.
    (Ironically, it's often the very people who do this that ragequit when you gain the advantage.)
    lol, just lol. "mah pokemanz is named 'gothitelle the trapper", hurr durr shadow tag bith im trapping yo pokemanz gg no re n00b!"

-------------------

honestly i dont see why evryone is fretting about 'ragequitting'. it just adds to your 'ladder points' or rating, no harm right? sheesh :/

tbh i find players using stolen teams more annoying. for example, a person could have stolen a successful 'geopass' team and started laddering with it. you face the person and when he/she sets up and starts sweeping (and you can't fight back), the person starts saying stuff like "you can't win, just fucking forfeit.", and if you don't, "CMON MAN YOU LOST JUST FUCKING FORFEIT YOU SORE LOSER!!!!". mlm brah you're using a stolen team

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    That kind of reminds me of that one battle I had, where I got beaten to a point where I only had a Breloom left, while my opponent only had a stalling Giratina-O left, which I obviously could never beat. But instead of forfeiting I kept on going until my opponent dc'd. Or maybe he didn't dc and my internet connection just cut out, which it seems to do sometimes. But that also leaves the question whether every dc is due to ragequitting or if there are people who suffer from some similar technical difficulties.

Or in other words: dc'ing doesn't neccessarily mean your opponent ragequitted.

Years
  • i would like to highlight some assumptions (ik the difference between experiences and assumptions are tyvm) the op has made, before moving on to my point:

hardly makes any sense. what makes you think that more people are proclaiming themselves as 'pros'? (except for geopass users which are truly annoying)

okay, you're assuming that the person ragequitted. he could have had something more important that had to be done. and let's say you're in a position that you're guaranteed to lose, i see no reason to continue playing (in other words = wasting your time). you're also assuming that the 'pros' think that they're unbeatable (maybe elf but meh). just because someone has played over like 300+ battles doesn't necessarily make them a 'veteran' or 'pro'.

lol, just lol. "mah pokemanz is named 'gothitelle the trapper", hurr durr shadow tag bith im trapping yo pokemanz gg no re n00b!"

-------------------

honestly i dont see why evryone is fretting about 'ragequitting'. it just adds to your 'ladder points' or rating, no harm right? sheesh :/

tbh i find players using stolen teams more annoying. for example, a person could have stolen a successful 'geopass' team and started laddering with it. you face the person and when he/she sets up and starts sweeping (and you can't fight back), the person starts saying stuff like "you can't win, just ****ing forfeit.", and if you don't, "CMON MAN YOU LOST JUST ****ING FORFEIT YOU SORE LOSER!!!!". mlm brah you're using a stolen team

I will consider anyone with hundreds of wins highly experienced and therefore a bloody veteran. It's not difficult to understand.

How would I label them as pros? Same as above reason. You gotta be good to have so many wins.

The nickname issue is directly mocking the opponent and that's low. For the record, I don't appreciate you mocking this aspect of the post.

Leaving the match by means other than official forfeit is low whether it's a ragequit or not. You deny the opponent the match when they've gone to the trouble of battling you. And any outcome of a match that's not a win is counted as a loss. Therefore when a player disconnects, the other player's match count increases but their win count doesn't. So a loss. THAT'S what's wrong with it.

Years
  • That kind of reminds me of that one battle I had, where I got beaten to a point where I only had a Breloom left, while my opponent only had a stalling Giratina-O left, which I obviously could never beat. But instead of forfeiting I kept on going until my opponent dc'd. Or maybe he didn't dc and my internet connection just cut out, which it seems to do sometimes. But that also leaves the question whether every dc is due to ragequitting or if there are people who suffer from some similar technical difficulties.

Or in other words: dc'ing doesn't neccessarily mean your opponent ragequitted.

You can tell the difference between ragequitting and a connection error.
    Ragequitting requires turning off your system, so a dead giveaway is the offender's PSS icon fading. If it's a connection error, their icon won't fade.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    I will consider anyone with hundreds of wins highly experienced and therefore a bloody veteran. It's not difficult to understand.

How would I label them as pros? Same as above reason. You gotta be good to have so many wins.
    OR you could have ran a full ubers team and beat the shit out of random players using random lc teams :/

The nickname issue is directly mocking the opponent and that's low. For the record, I don't appreciate you mocking this aspect of the post.
    i seriously don't get why you find the nicknames insulting and low. how is naming your staraptor 'wallbreaker' mocking your opponent? unless some kind of in-game 'chat thru microphone' thing is enabled by default and the opponent directly states that the nickname is to insult you.

Leaving the match by means other than official forfeit is low whether it's a ragequit or not.
    not evryone wants to patiently sit through the process of disconnecting and a bunch of other questions like 'would you like to continue playing?" and blabla, after forfeiting. what if the opponent's battery went flat in the middle of the battle without him expecting it? would you call that a 'ragequit'? see, by stating that someone ragequitted just because their pss icon disappeared and whatnot, you are already making an assumption.

You deny the opponent the match when they've gone to the trouble of battling you. And any outcome of a match that's not a win is counted as a loss. Therefore when a player disconnects, the other player's match count increases but their win count doesn't. So a loss. THAT'S what's wrong with it.
    oh so losing the point to increase your win count is so important that it deserves a thread by its own. you could always search for another battle... it's not the end of the world or something :/

seriously i dont see why ragequitting is such a big issue, or even assuming the ragequit. just get over it. honestly, if you cant, then stop playing. posting about funny ragequits and experiences is fine and stuff, but you don't have to go round telling people "self-proclaimed 'pros' are becoming shit ragequitters!" to the extent that even the nicknames of pokemon (which are clearly fine and harmless) are insulting x-x

this thread is becoming pretty senseless and toxic imo, with poor arguments and assumptions constantly appearing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think the nickname issue needs to be addressed more thoroughly, as a couple of you don't get it.
    I don't find this INSULTING, per say. I find it quite arrogant that players would be so overconfident in their Pokèmons' abilities that they'd include this overconfidence in the nicknames in an effort to deter other players. It's like a cyber flip-off every time.
    There. Hope I cleared that up.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I feel like you're reading too much into the nicknames and assuming that it's meant as an insult instead of a blanket statement. And even if it is the other player being arrogant, all you're doing by getting upset is buying into their strategy and they just got in your head. Are you familiar with the phrase "sticks and stones"? Cuz that's the best advice I have.

Back