• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my team (VGC14) + suggestions

SonicUpdater

Helping the trainers
Years
  • So how this team started out was it was meant to be a pure type team (Meaning every pokemon is one type only) after that i started adding pokemon that weren't pure type to what i already have and so far the evolution of this team has become pretty solid. I would like feedback on what i could improve either it be a move set, ability, or stats.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
    Gentle Nature
    - Muddy Water
    - Knock Off
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Protect

Vanilluxe @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Weak Armor
    EVs: 44 HP / 232 Def / 44 SpA / 148 SpD / 40 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Iron Defense
    - Protect
    - Ice Shard

Gigalith @ Normal Gem
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 220 HP / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Bulldoze
    - Protect
    - Explosion

Zoroark @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Illusion
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Night Daze
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn

Gourgeist-Large @ Leftovers
    Ability: Frisk
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Leech Seed
    - Seed Bomb
    - Protect
    - Will-O-Wisp

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Solar Beam
    - Heat Wave
    - Protect

So Tentacruel is meant to give support to the team, I gained a fond liking to this pokemon just from friendly challenge battles. Tentacruels bulk is also a selling point to me.

Vanniluxe is still a new contender so I still haven't tested much of it, but it overall has done pretty well. For those questioning the stats, the reason its all over the place, is because i wanted Vanniluxe to be more of an all around ice type while making full use of its weak armor, and its bulk.

Gigalith is one of the pokemon that has been on the team since i first created it. It has done so well, yet at the same time it is too situational at times. Sometimes i can't properly predict when to use the Normal Gem Explosion combo, and sometimes it doesn't do that well in terms of damage. I mainly added Gigalith so i can try to take care of Charizard Y's, thus why sturdy also helps.

Zoroark is also one of the pokemon that has been on this team since it first started. Zoroark is a must have, as it's one of my favorite (troll) sweepers. Some may say i don't use Zoroarks illusion the way it's suppose to be used, but i honestly use it for its speed, and great special attack. Night Daze may throw off Zoroarks illusion, but only time i ever need Zoroark to fool someone is at the start of the game, and is hard for me to pull off late game. Zoroark originally would run Trick instead of U-turn, but in this case since Trick is a move tutor move, and Mega stones can't be swapped anyways, U-turn was my one option especially when choiced.

Gourgiest is also a new contender, but i was able to use it more than Vanniluxe. Gourgiest has deemed to me more bulky, and useful than Trevenant. Some say since i'm running Charizard Y, why not just run Trevenant. It's not like i didn't think about this but at the same time i thought, I am not always gonna run Charizard for every battle, and so Gourgiest was my much preferred option. Gourgiest also acts as somewhat support and does assist Tentacruel at times, now I am aware Insomnia is now legal, but i thought about it and realized that since i'm immune to powder and spore, and running into a dark void Smeargle or hypnosis pokemon is rare, it seemed much more useless compared to frisk. At least with frisk i can have an easier time predicting.

Finally Charizard-Y. The reason i chose him to be my mega, was the reason that i got sick and tired of running into them. So i decided to try and take advantage of other Charizard-Y's and at the same time get rid of drizzle team threats. Now sure drought doesn't really support much of my team, in fact it hurts Gourgiest a lot. But i feel that Charizard-Y is overall helpful for this team. overall i feel its moves are solid and didn't feel the need to know dragon pulse.

Overall i feel my team could use maybe a bit more work in the pokemon move sets, and i'm hoping that having protect on most of the team is not a bad thing, i get it, it can be a wasted slot and everything. But protect has helped in duping some opponents before but if the raters feel the need to get rid of some protects so be it. That is pretty much all I have to say so yea what do you think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think Tentacruel is worth it in VGC formats, due to the fact that hazards aren't effective in doubles formats. Wash Rotom is the better alternative, due to the fact that its sole weakness isn't as common:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect/Light Screen/Reflect
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/44 Def/60 SAtk/148 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry

Vanilluxe sucks, tbh. Its common weaknesses let it down severely in VGC formats, where moves like Rock Slide and Heat Wave are common. Sure, these activate Weakness Policy, but Vanilluxe isn't really fast or bulky enough to take advantage of it. Setup moves are rather risky in doubles without Rage Powder or Follow Me support. And speaking of that kind of support, it would totally be appreciated here; Amoonguss, or even Pachirisu can provide it for you:

Amoonguss:
    -Spore
    -Rage Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet

Pachirisu:
    -Nuzzle
    -Super Fang/U-turn
    -Follow Me
    -Protect
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/156 Def/100 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Volt Absorb

I do have to agree on Gigalith; it's very situational. Not only that, it's 100% outclassed by Tyranitar, who boasts better coverage:
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Dark Pulse/Ice Beam
    -Fire Blast/Ice Beam
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Stream

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Rock Slide
    -Crunch
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
    Ability: Sand Stream

Gourgeist isn't worth it unless you're using Trick Room, which this team doesn't really specialize in. Venusaur is worth using over it; it works well with Charizard Y, due to both being fast threats in sun (the former only with Chlorophyll):
    -Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Sleep Powder
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 204 HP/252 SAtk/52 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll

Charizard Y has little use for Air Slash, since Heat Wave hits Air Slash's targets harder:
    -Heat Wave
    -Solar Beam
    -Overheat/Ancient Power/Focus Blast
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 244 SAtk/12 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

SonicUpdater

Helping the trainers
    Years
  • I assume there isn't anything to say about Zoroark per say? also is there anything else i can use for Gourgiest, I am not really fond of having 2 of the same type of pokemon on the same team, and i rather run rage powder Amoongus over Venasaur and Pachirisu

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I assume there isn't anything to say about Zoroark per say? also is there anything else i can use for Gourgiest, I am not really fond of having 2 of the same type of pokemon on the same team, and i rather run rage powder Amoongus over Venasaur and Pachirisu

Then use Pachirisu + Venusaur. Wash Rotom's Ground weakness isn't a problem because of Levitate. Sometimes type overlap is necessary in team building.

Back