• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Recent Happenings on Fire Red and Leaf Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I decided to restart my LeafGreen cart. To make it challenging, I decided to make my team with the first 5 Pokes I encounter (not including same types like Caterpie AND Weedle). I am at Cerulean, with the following CRAPtacular team:

Squirtle
    Rattata
    Pidgey
    Butterfree
    Pikachu
    Mankey

With only one decent Poke and a slew of weaknesses and bad type coverages, this might even make this run interesting. To make it even more interesting, I have turned off the Shift option (I never use it anyway, it is cheating to know what your opponent is going to use and have the ability to switch before them), I cannot use items during battle, and I cannot raise my Pokes levels higher than the highest level of the Poke of the next gym. It will still most likely be a breeze though.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    Pikachu actually isn't a bad Pokemon after you evolve it. It's one of my best Pokemon in Sapphire, too.

Anyways, today I made significant progress in Leaf Green. First of all, I beat Blaine. The battle was pretty easy. Most of my Pokemon KO'd Blaine's in one hit, and my only Pokemon that got hit was Aerodactyl, who lost 1/4 HP via Arcanine's Fire Blast. Every one of my Pokemon was holding a Rawst Berry, but I didn't need those berries at all...

Then I went to the first three Sevii Islands, rescued Lostelle, etc. But more importantly, I caught the three Legendary Birds! Of the three, Moltres was the easiest to capture and Zapdos was the hardest.
    -I caught Articuno on the second try using one Ultra Ball.
    -I caught Zapdos on my seventh try using two Ultra Balls.
    -I caught Moltres on my first try using three Ultra Balls.
    **Articuno was Impish, Zapdos was Serious, and Moltres was Timid. Not the best natures (I wish Articuno's was different) but what can you do about it...
    **I caught all three of them while my Hypno was out. I also caught Snorlax using only Hypno. Hmm...

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Pikachu actually isn't a bad Pokemon after you evolve it. It's one of my best Pokemon in Sapphire, too.

Anyways, today I made significant progress in Leaf Green. First of all, I beat Blaine. The battle was pretty easy. Most of my Pokemon KO'd Blaine's in one hit, and my only Pokemon that got hit was Aerodactyl, who lost 1/4 HP via Arcanine's Fire Blast. Every one of my Pokemon was holding a Rawst Berry, but I didn't need those berries at all...

Then I went to the first three Sevii Islands, rescued Lostelle, etc. But more importantly, I caught the three Legendary Birds! Of the three, Moltres was the easiest to capture and Zapdos was the hardest.
    -I caught Articuno on the second try using one Ultra Ball.
    -I caught Zapdos on my seventh try using two Ultra Balls.
    -I caught Moltres on my first try using three Ultra Balls.
    **Articuno was Impish, Zapdos was Serious, and Moltres was Timid. Not the best natures (I wish Articuno's was different) but what can you do about it...
    **I caught all three of them while my Hypno was out. I also caught Snorlax using only Hypno. Hmm...

Another Hypno fan! LOL, I was impressed with mine... that guy can take quite a bit of abuse and still deal some good hits. Plus he learns Hypnosis and Dream Eater - a killer combination for a Hypno.

And Pikachu is almost useless defence-wise before you evolve him. The only downside is that you give up some special attack in trade for defence. But yes, besides Magneton, Raichu is perhap the best electric Pokemon you can get, in my opinion.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The saddest part of that statement is that it is actually partly true. Only because there are so few options as Electric-types go though, not because it is actually good. Even Zapdos is a bottom-tier legendary.

As for the best Electric Pokes, Raichu doesn't even sniff the top 5. Zapdos is far and away the best, not because it is "Legendary", but it negates the bad Ground weakness. Of course it does that at the expense of incurring a Rock/Ice weakness. Next is, of course, Jolteon. After that it gets muddled. Personally, I prefer Magneton for its power and many resistances. It is only weak to Ground (4x), Fighting, and Fire. Water only does normal damage, and all the other types it resists, even being immune to Poison. After that I would go with Ampharos, simply because while it is slow it has the HP and defenses to make up for it. Not to mention that it has a high SAtk rating to boot. Next is Electabuzz. This Poke has a diverse movepool and that is what makes it effective. After that you basically have Manectric and Raichu. Both decent, but outclassed too much by the aforementioned Pokes.

Years
    I just got a new LeafGreen after testing it out on my cousin's( [FuFu3000]he thought i was SRing for him). I chose squirtle and my team consist of a Lv. 39 blastoise, a Lv. 18 Vulpix (that took me forever to find with a timid nature--i wanted a better nature but i was getting tired0, a Lv. 32 Fearow with a horrible nature but is getting me through the game fine so--, a level 18 Beedrill that is basically just for cut (currently taking suggestions for a different grass/cut poke) a level 24 pikachu that is ok for in-game I suppose, and a level 25 eevee that i need to train for another electric to replace pikachu, i cant really train him though cuz i'm SRing for Shiny Snorlax and I am trying to complete my dex/ beat the gyms in a good time--I'm already on 36:56 and i only have 29 pokes (including the 1st snorlax near Fuschia [sp?] city just for dex purposes so I can SR on and off for Shiny Lax while continuing to go through the game. BTW we are racing to get shiny Lax and i'm supposedly winning since i started like yesterday (lol) but he just started like 2 minutes ago to add an incentive to the SRing...so yeah

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I just defeated Lt. Surge with my craptacular team:

Wartortle
    Raticate
    Pidgeotto
    Butterfree
    Pikachu
    Mankey

With no Ground-type to speak of (curse my stupid rule of using the first 5 Pokes I encountered!!!) and a team that has a 3x weakness to Electric attacks, I didn't win without taking severe casualties. The first two Pikachu's were LOL, but the Lv24 Raichu was a ***** since my Pokes were only Lv21. I was able to get its HP down leading with Butterfree and immediately Sleep Powdering (thank you Compoundeyes!), and then switching to Mankey and using *cough cough* Dig on it. Lame I know, as I ALWAYS tell people NEVER to use crappy moves like Dig, but I am cool enough to pull it off. Well, almost. Raichu woke up and abused the noobish and lame Double Team, and then proceeded to to wipe out my team (curse my other stupid rule of not using items during battle!!!). Thankfully, Raticate landed a Quick Attack before going down and Wartotle's defenses allowed it to absorb a Shock Wave to counter with Bite ftw. Considering that I hadn't saved since before SS Anne, losing would have sucked hard.

Anyway, now that I have the super cool[/sarcasm] HM01 Cut, I am off to chop down little trees to get some goodies before proceeding. First I need a worthless Poke that I can slap Cut on. Raticate will do for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back