• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Recovering Data. Is It Possible?

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2020
    BACK STORY: I mainly play the games on a switch lite, but i had to purchase the dlc via a normal switch. I have the games software downloaded on my normal switch, but nothing accomplished in the game. At the time of the story, i had both available.
    PRESENT: As we all know, the dlc for sword and shield came out and we were all excited, especially me. i logged into my game and noticed nothing was happening. i began to freak out and searching all over the internet for help to no avail. I figured it was because of how i purchased the dlc, like a fool. I though if I transfered the data for my normal switch to the Lite, the problem would be fixed. Long story short; it made it worse. All my previous data was lost and i could do nothing about it. Am I really though? Can I recover the data through any means?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Unless you save your data to by backing up through cloud storage, no I don't think so. Although, save files are tied to your Nintendo Switch profiles also. But, that's all I know.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Unless you save your data to by backing up through cloud storage, no I don't think so. Although, save files are tied to your Nintendo Switch profiles also. But, that's all I know.
    Swsh is one of those games, like Splatoon 2 and (currently) Animal Crossing New Horizons, that does not allow for file backup via the cloud storage.

That said, saves can be transferred over, and I suspect what happened is that transferring data between one switch to another overrode the second Switch's set of files - I don't think it can simply merge two sets of data or know automatically what one you want to preserve (it'd basically just wipe anything on the receiving console).

Your best bet is to try to contact Nintendo Support for your country. I only have the one switch myself and do not know much about these details. Maybe it's possible to have stuff recovered via sending the switch to them... Good luck. :x

EDIT: I'm afraid a friend has informed me that the data gets completely wiped when you transfer data from another Switch. Sorry.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    What...really? I didn't know that... why, though? Is there a reason you can't w/swsh?

It's to prevent cloning situations.
    I save in front of Zacian, e.g. Store that in the cloud. Catch Zacian and place it in Home.
    Restore save and now I'm back in front of Zacian again. Repeat for infinite Zacian.
    This is most likely Gamefreak's logic.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yeah, that's the likely reason (or one of them) for it. That's also been the case for e.g. the GCN titles - you couldn't duplicate the save file to another memory card without the original being deleted, for example.

Back