• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Red & Blue G1S

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon Red & Blue G1S V5
    Titles.png

Why?
    This project started when I decided that I dislike the vanilla FireRed art style enough to create a sprite replacement hack.
    This idea eventually grew through feature creep into a total re-de-make that aims to bring Red & Blue to the GBA, complete with widescreen and menus that don't suck!

BulkPromo1.png

Why not play a colorization hack?
    The tiny screen of the GBC makes me sad, your view is very limited and menus are necessarily cramped. I wanted widescreen,
    I wanted the ability to connect to DS projects, I wanted good menus and full color.

BulkPromo2.png

Is this yet another eternal beta?
    The current version is playable all the way through Cerulean Cave. It's 99% done.
    Too many projects promised greatness then died due to disinterest, showed amazing work and then fizzled out.
    I decided to develop G1S in secret until it was ready for the general public to play.

BulkPromo3.png

What's changed?
    Trainer parties, move stats, item prices and availability, learnsets, TMs, world layout, scripted events, dialogue, and more all match NTSC Red & Blue as closely
    as I can manage. I have played through the original games and G1S side-by-side 3 times in order to match the experience as closely as possible.BulkPromo4.png

Towns.png

Why the Progressing Hacks category?
    Although the project is 99% done, there are still some very important changes to be made
    and more testing to be done before declaring the project fully finished.
    National Dex event and other post E4 events have not been completely erased/modified/verified.

BulkPromo5.png
    Overworld_V1.png

LINKS & INFO (In need of a team member who can help with UI code!)
    Known issues are tracked on GitLab as well as in a Notes.txt in the project files. If you wish to report an issue, please post on GitLab following the style in my example bug reports.
    Patch files are available in the GitLab project, inside the PatchFiles directory.
    Ensure your base ROM matches one of the hashes below. Rev0 patches are for FR/LG 1.0 while Rev1 patches are for FR/LG 1.1.

pokefirered sha1: 41cb23d8dccc8ebd7c649cd8fbb58eeace6e2fdc
    pokefirered_rev1 sha1: dd5945db9b930750cb39d00c84da8571feebf417
    pokeleafgreen sha1: 574fa542ffebb14be69902d1d36f1ec0a4afd71e
    pokeleafgreen_rev1 sha1: 7862c67bdecbe21d1d69ce082ce34327e1c6ed5e

Multiplayer seems to work, but there is the chance that you become stuck or your save is corrupted if I missed something. Be aware that ALL link play is done at your own risk.
    Thank you to CHAMBER, SOLOO993, BLUE EMERALD, LAKE, NESLUG, PIKACHU25 for the Pokemon party icon sprite sheet available through PRET tutorials, TheXaman for the wonderful Gen4-style party menu, Moylend for playing my project and reporting issues, Meister_anon and GriffinR for answering my questions on Discord!

I have personally played through both Red and Blue to completion, however, there is always a chance a new breaking bug can appear. Please use mGBA or a comparable emulator, do not use VBA.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2024
    Forgive my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with using Github to get Roms. Is there a patch or game file I can download or do I need to assemble it myself?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon Red & Blue G1S
    View attachment 153763

Why?
    This project started when I decided that I dislike the vanilla FireRed art style enough to create a sprite replacement hack.
    This idea eventually grew through feature creep into a total re-de-make that aims to bring Red & Blue to the GBA, complete with widescreen and menus that don't suck!

View attachment 153757

Why not play a colorization hack?
    The tiny screen of the GBC makes me sad, your view is very limited and menus are necessarily cramped. I wanted widescreen, I wanted the ability to connect to DS projects, I wanted good menus and full color.
    View attachment 153758

Is this yet another eternal beta?
    The current version is playable all the way through Cerulean Cave. It's 99% done.
    Too many projects promised greatness then died due to disinterest, showed amazing work and then fizzled out. I decided to develop G1S in secret until it was ready for the general public to play.

View attachment 153759

What's changed?
    Trainer parties, move stats, item prices and availability, learnsets, TMs, world layout, scripted events, dialogue, and more all match NTSC Red & Blue as closely as I can manage. I have played through the original games and G1S side-by-side 3 times in order to match the experience as closely as possible.
    View attachment 153760

Why the Progressing Hacks category?
    Although the project is 99% done, there are still some very important changes to be made
    and more testing to be done before declaring the project fully finished.
    Currently, link battles work while link trades do not. National Dex event and other post E4
    events have not been completely erased/modified/verified.
    View attachment 153765

LINKS & INFO
    Known issues are tracked on GitLab as well as in a Notes.txt in the project files. If you wish to report an issue, please post on GitLab following the style in my example bug reports.
    Patch files are available in the GitLab project, inside the PatchFiles directory.
    Ensure your base ROM matches one of the hashes below. Rev0 patches are for FRLG 1.0 while Rev1 patches are for FRLG 1.1.

pokefirered sha1: 41cb23d8dccc8ebd7c649cd8fbb58eeace6e2fdc
    pokefirered_rev1 sha1: dd5945db9b930750cb39d00c84da8571feebf417
    pokeleafgreen sha1: 574fa542ffebb14be69902d1d36f1ec0a4afd71e
    pokeleafgreen_rev1 sha1: 7862c67bdecbe21d1d69ce082ce34327e1c6ed5e

Link battling seems to work, but there is the chance that you become stuck or your save is corrupted if I missed something. I have temporarily made part of the Pokecenter counter walkable in order to prevent getting stuck, but be aware that ALL link play is done at your own risk.
    Thank you to CHAMBER, SOLOO993, BLUE EMERALD, LAKE, NESLUG, PIKACHU25 for the Pokemon party icon sprite sheet available through PRET tutorials, TheXaman for the wonderful Gen4-style party menu, and Moylend for playing my project and reporting issues!

Current versions are V2, I have personally played through both Red and Blue to completion, however, there is always a chance a new breaking bug can appear. Please use mGBA or a comparable emulator, do not use VBA.

Good afternoon, guys,
    I was wondering if you know about these bps files? Because I've tried to patch them to Pokémon FireRed Version gba, and when I've tried to load it after, the screen turned white. Pokecommunity said that I should use mGBA for PC, but which Android emulator should I use for them?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Good job on finishing your project and thanks for sharing it. I noticed a bugued tile in the tunnel south of Cerulean (third row, near the bottom). I don't want to play the entire game again as I already played it a thousang time but you should ask people for that kind of details, it would help your game become a classic.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This looks great. Could it be used as a rom base for other hack makers? Not sure I am interested in making a hack myself, but I would love to see more hacks made with old graphics.

Days
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Hey man! Loving your hack! Just messaging to let you know the backsprites of the whole Nidoran male line is offset from the battlemenu.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Any plans to make this a catch em all hack, no trading needed?
    The intent is to create a faithful replica of the gen1 experience, minus the bugs and terribly cramped screen. Bypassing the trading requirement would directly contradict this intent, thus will not be implemented.
    Good job on finishing your project and thanks for sharing it. I noticed a bugued tile in the tunnel south of Cerulean (third row, near the bottom). I don't want to play the entire game again as I already played it a thousang time but you should ask people for that kind of details, it would help your game become a classic.
    Thank you for the issue report! I've corrected this issue, though you probably already know from Reddit.
    This looks great. Could it be used as a rom base for other hack makers? Not sure I am interested in making a hack myself, but I would love to see more hacks made with old graphics.
    Anyone is free and encouraged to use this project as a base for their own projects, everything I make is fully public with the intent that others will build off of my work. Credits for the 2 asset packs I've used are in the descriptions of both this forum post and the GitLab page, any permissions requirements by the publishers of those assets packs are still in effect.
    Hey man! Loving your hack! Just messaging to let you know the backsprites of the whole Nidoran male line is offset from the battlemenu.
    Thank you for letting me know! This will be fixed in V5.

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Good afternoon, guys,
    I was wondering if you know about these bps files? Because I've tried to patch them to Pokémon FireRed Version gba, and when I've tried to load it after, the screen turned white. Pokecommunity said that I should use mGBA for PC, but which Android emulator should I use for them?
    Pizza boy or my boy

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Question -- I really want to play this hack but I have a few questions as someone who doesnt play with other people. Is it possible to get the other fossil/Starters without trading? Can you evolve trade pokemon without trading? In gen 1 I'd just bypass it with glitches

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Apart from this being a demake of Fire Red, are there anybadded story elements?
    The goal is to match Red and Blue as closely as possible, no new story elements have been added.
    Question -- I really want to play this hack but I have a few questions as someone who doesnt play with other people. Is it possible to get the other fossil/Starters without trading? Can you evolve trade pokemon without trading? In gen 1 I'd just bypass it with glitches
    If trading is not feasible for you for whatever reason, you'd need to use cheat codes or edit the project and compile yourself a custom ROM. You cannot bypass the trade requirement for evolution wihtout glitches in Red and Blue, therefore such a thing is also impossible in this project.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Would you ever consider releasing an alternate patch for trade evolutions to evolve via level up, especially for those who aren't very tech savvy?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just finished the adventure

I'm very honest: I did not enjoy it so much
    I liked the idea of a "demake", but doing such that it's the almost 1:1 experience of the original Gen 1, it's a no for me
    I'm sorry

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The goal is to match Red and Blue as closely as possible, no new story elements have been added.

If trading is not feasible for you for whatever reason, you'd need to use cheat codes or edit the project and compile yourself a custom ROM. You cannot bypass the trade requirement for evolution wihtout glitches in Red and Blue, therefore such a thing is also impossible in this project.
    Thank you for the reply. I tried to compile it myself -- I know how to change the evolution data but when I compile it the font for some reason extends past where it should. I.E. Pokemon is written as POKEMO in the menu and pokedex is POKEDE which I know is not how the actual patch makes it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Would you ever consider releasing an alternate patch for trade evolutions to evolve via level up, especially for those who aren't very tech savvy?
    No, I have the entirety of the project fully public so that anybody can create and disseminate custom variants as they see fit. I aim to keep a tight focus on my intended end product in order to minimize extra work and feature pollution.
    Thank you for the reply. I tried to compile it myself -- I know how to change the evolution data but when I compile it the font for some reason extends past where it should. I.E. Pokemon is written as POKEMO in the menu and pokedex is POKEDE which I know is not how the actual patch makes it.
    V6 will have the font of the original games, the repository has the WIP V6 changes. Feb 05, 2024's commit 4e629b95 is the latest you should use if you intend to build V5.

Back