• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Red Gyarados?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    no problem

ok ill explain to people why this pokemon isnt concidered shiny and is just a regular gyrados.

ok in the game and anime, i think it stated this to, team rocket was making magikarp evolve. and this one gyrados(the one thats red) was just a regular magikarp that was forced to evolve so it became red instead of blue; in other words it was a regular non-shiny magikarp before it evolved. so technically its not a shiny pokemon seeing as its first form wasnt shiny and it was declared non-shiny anyway because of how easy it was to find.

I did a bit of research on this. In the anime it was a forced Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados. It is said that for a regular Magikarp to evolve into a Red Gyarados it must be forced to do so. The reasn why is because it isn't given any extra time to allow its scales to turn blue, therefor it stays red. However, even though this is true, the shiny Magikarp that is yellow still evolves into a Red Gyarados. Because of this, it is said that whichever way they are both considered shiny nevertheless. Not to mention, the Red Gyarados that was forced to evolve still gave out the shining entrance when coming out of its Pokéball, which only shinies can do.

who knows they might change the red gyrados to some other water pokemon or they might make red gyrados a different color.

I doubt they'd replace it with another Pokémon, because that just demotes the plan Team Rocket had planned with force evolution. Seeing as Magikarp has a different background story on how to evolve into its shiny even as a regular Pokémon, it fits with the scheme unlike other water Pokémon.

you know what would be cool,

for heart gold the gyrados is gold

and for soul silver the gyrados is silver

id love to see that :3

That might not work out as DPPt has nothing with a Gold Gyarados and nothing with a Silver Gyarados, so for compatability reasons this may not be done. Also, it would be strange to do so, because then people may want other Pokémon to gain new shiny forms, and would think it isn't fair that Gyarados gets so much attention to.

Years
  • who knows they might change the red gyrados to some other water pokemon or they might make red gyrados a different color.

they won't replace it or change its colour (imo)
    cos the opening of diamond and pearl was a news report on a Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage.
    so i'm pretty convinced it wont change, otherwise that news report would just be all wrong :S

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    they won't replace it or change its colour (imo)
    cos the opening of diamond and pearl was a news report on a Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage.
    so i'm pretty convinced it wont change, otherwise that news report would just be all wrong :S

It really wouldn't have been all wrong in this case, but it would have been a bit awkward hearing it be a different color. The reason being is because the Red Gyarados this time was seen in Lake of Rage like they had announced in FRLG. This time it was seen in Lake Verity, which is a farther location and simply could have been a different one of all. Still, I'm not convinced the color would change, and I'm not convinced it'll be removed or converted back to its original form. It's not essentially needed and neither is it wanted by most players who enjoyed catching their first shiny and who played through the older versions. It'll be a huge let down to the fans of anything was really altered with it.

Years
  • It really wouldn't have been all wrong in this case, but it would have been a bit awkward hearing it be a different color. The reason being is because the Red Gyarados this time was seen in Lake of Rage like they had announced in FRLG. This time it was seen in Lake Verity, which is a farther location and simply could have been a different one of all. Still, I'm not convinced the color would change, and I'm not convinced it'll be removed or converted back to its original form. It's not essentially needed and neither is it wanted by most players who enjoyed catching their first shiny and who played through the older versions. It'll be a huge let down to the fans of anything was really altered with it.

OMG was it lake verity
    man i feel like an idiot X___X
    haven't started a new game on D/P in a while ahaha
    okay so maybe it might not be in johto, as it was suspected to have "swam" or moved to sinnoh? :S
    but then that'd ruin the story completely :S
    ah, i reckon it'll still be there.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    OMG was it lake verity
    man i feel like an idiot X___X
    haven't started a new game on D/P in a while ahaha
    okay so maybe it might not be in johto, as it was suspected to have "swam" or moved to sinnoh? :S
    but then that'd ruin the story completely :S
    ah, i reckon it'll still be there.

Yes it was Lake Verity where the Red Gyarados was located in Diamond and Pearl. That explains the reason why Barry rushed us over there and why Prof. Rowan and Dawn was situated there after arriving to Lake Verity at the beginning of the game. Anyway, it was never speculated whether or not it swam there, but it might not have seeing as Lake Verity was more of a Lake rather than a larger body of water leading to other locations. I would presume it might have simply just been mentioned there above all seeing as they oh so wanted to refer us to what we're getting now: HeartGold and SoulSilver. Though, it'll more than likely be there, and I don't know why so many people might think it'll be removed seeing as it was one of the biggest and most memorable things about the old Gold and Silver games. I mean look what was stated, Team Rocket forced it to evolve, and looking at information on the Red Gyarados back from Bulbapedia, a normal Magikarp can only be a Red Gyarados through forced evolution, which is exactly what happened in Gold and Silver. Seeing that they might more than likely keep this plot, I would think the forced evolution would still keep it a Red Gyarados, therefore making it still involved through the game at the Lake of Rage and therefore staying a Red Gyarados and not beong changed to its original color or even another Pokémon for the matter.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Yup, Gyrados was forced to evolve by Team Rocket. In the amine this machine they used messed with the Magickarp's usual patterns and forced it to evolve but it stayed a redish color. They planned on using this machine to speed up the evolution of all pokemon. But it left the Red Gyrados angry and in pain until Lance finally caught it. Then you will notice that Team Rockets activities in the game are in Mahogany Town, which is just below Lake of Rage.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
  • its obvious that it will appears again because it has an important role .. but it should be lv. 40 or 50. but what would be an awesome special: giovanni will appear in this part of game, catch the red gyarados and then you battle with Lance against Giovanni and his strong team *.*

Years
  • its obvious that it will appears again because it has an important role .. but it should be lv. 40 or 50. but what would be an awesome special: giovanni will appear in this part of game, catch the red gyarados and then you battle with Lance against Giovanni and his strong team *.*

Yah, I like the idea of someone else catching it. Maybe your male/female counterpart, if they were involved in the story.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    its obvious that it will appears again because it has an important role .. but it should be lv. 40 or 50. but what would be an awesome special: giovanni will appear in this part of game, catch the red gyarados and then you battle with Lance against Giovanni and his strong team *.*

Well, I think this is an interesting idea and I would honestly like to see how it would turn out if it were to be implemented into the game. Except, if Giovanni were to catch it, then I don't think everyone else might like the idea of it. Especially if they have their hopes up to catch it again. This could be many people's first shiny too, so that would be kind of a loss for them, but still it is all an interesting idea. Except, if we were to battle Giovanni at this point after he caught the Red Gyarados, then I don't think Lance would be battling with us tagged together, unless Giovanni pairs up with one of the Rocket Admins. Of course, this idea may be unlikely, but a good thought though. Even though I know the Red Gyarados will more than likely make a return, the storyling of it shouldn't be touched too much before something gets altered to drastically.

Yah, I like the idea of someone else catching it. Maybe your male/female counterpart, if they were involved in the story.

If someone else were to catch it, then it all depends on who. Except, I'd rather catch it myself, because it'll be pretty fun, plus Red Gyarados is definitely a nice Pokémon to have, even if you aren't planning on using it. Also, the female/male counterpart, they are playing a supporting role in the remakes, and I would think they'll have something to do with Team Rocket, even if just a small fraction like Dawn and Lucas had in DPPt.

DA-Kizemaru

The Real Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
    Years

• [offtopic]
    Also, is it just me, or did they replace the Farfetch'd
    event as well? People say it's a "pichu event", but why
    would they show a Wi-Fi/Movie event that early?
    Didn't get much clarification on this. IS it part of the
    12th movie event?

I don't think they've replaced it. As they said, it is when you transfer your colored Pichu from Platinum to Heart Gold or Soul Silver, It's like oaks letter, just in pokemon form.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I would be disappointed if I didn't get the chance to catch the Red Gyarados. It is a big help, especially against the elite 4 and it is certainly a unique pokemon to have. I wouldn't like if my rival were to catch it either, it would kind of make me think "Wow I wanted to catch it" lol. I think before you go in the basement of the market, there are some team rocket members up at the lake trying to catch the Gyarados and you battle them to save it. After that, you can surf to the middle of the lake and attempt to catch it just like the old one. I think it would work out best if a sequence such as that happened.

Years
  • i never really used the red gyrados that much. only once did it become a major part of my team. it will obviously stay in, and probably be at the same level, a double battle with lance against the rocket admins would be cool, or with silver against some rockets, that whole common enemy thing is always fun to see

Years
  • you know what woould be funny? if they kept the red gyrados situation but made it a regular gyrados instead of red.
    XD fail. If it's just a remake & not too many hectic changes to the storyline, then our old red friend should be right where he was in the origional

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
  • I wouldn't say that the Red Gyarados was a main part of the storyline, but I wouldn't say is wasn't important either, it was a part of the storyline. And I think they'll include Kanto (I mean the Pokemon League is in Kanto, remember?)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I wouldn't say that the Red Gyarados was a main part of the storyline, but I wouldn't say is wasn't important either, it was a part of the storyline. And I think they'll include Kanto (I mean the Pokemon League is in Kanto, remember?)

I would say the Red Gyarados was a major part of the game. I mean it was one of Team Rocket's biggest plots in the game and gave us a reason to really travel towards Blackthorne City besides having to challenge Claire the Gym Leader. Without Gyarados there it would be a big empty kind of hole in the game and feel as though something is really missing. Though, it's true it was important to a contribution for the game as it not only added anticipation to the game but differentiality and enjoyment too. I mean having to battle a known shiny like that and yet have it part of the game, I think a lot of us enjoyed that almost ten years ago. It was fun and the nostalgic feel of having to do it again is very overwhelming for some, even now as we all wait.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
  • you ever think maybe they mite make it a different color then red, maybe gold or silver depending on the version?

Back