• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red pressed A+B+Down!

ThatsTakao

Hiya!
    Years
    After catching Groudon at full HP with a Pokeball while tapping LRLRLR.., I've made it habit to do this.
    Until FR & LG messed it up :< Stupid help menu/thing.
    Now I just don't do anything but close my DS and look away. >.>

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I press down and A. I know it doesn't do anything code-wise, but I'm still pretty superstitious and think it helps. I also stay as far away from B as possible. Some bad catching mojo in that button.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
    I remember playing Pokemon Red in pokemon Stadium and I threw a pokeball and started pressing all the buttons at once and accidentally Soft restarted the game lol. but yeah I naturally press Down A + B. I feel like if I don't press anything something could horribley go wrong

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Typically in Safari Zone type situations, I usually do the Up+B because by then I'm really frustrated by me not being to capture Pokemon that I wanted to. I sometimes do it during legendary captures if they don't go easily.

Dimenticato

Bounty Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    I used to try holding down the A button... Then I tried hitting the B and A buttons alternately. I cgot myself confused as to how to do both at the same time...

I also remember using a chair to hold down the A button. My mother was shocked when she came in and saw me hitting the b button and a chair on my GBA. Good times, good times...

xforeverxmetalx

<insert clever title here>
    Years
    Also guilty of this... though I tried several different combinations. B+left, B+down, A over and over, holding down B and releasing exactly on the second roll... and probably more.

Don't think I ever thought it worked, but it made me feel like I was doing something rather than just staring at it.

coots

I'mma eat chuu
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2010
    I toss my DS on the bed and cross my fingers
    XD

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I'm so used to pressing the A button that I tend to hold it down sometimes once the Poke' Ball touches the Poke'mon. =P I know it doesn't work, it's just a bad habit of mine. x3

yaya0

は真優勝
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    OK, with thousands of Dusk Balls tested on Mewtwo in HG:

It doesn't work. Less than a 1% difference.

Years
    The split second the Pokeball hits a Pokemon, I always press Up+B (only out of habit now). I also usually press Up+B when I am trying to avoid my Pokemon hurting itself in it's confusion, but this is also just out of habit too. I always wanted to believe that this helps my chances, but it works either way when I don't press the buttons.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    Usually, if I look away from the screen and pretend to not care, 8 times out of 10 the poke will be caught. lucky me

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
    Usually, if I look away from the screen and pretend to not care, 8 times out of 10 the poke will be caught. lucky me
    That won't work, because a little extremely technological sensor keeps track of your mind - reading it. "Oh, he's pretendng, let's move 3 times and fail"

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    i still mash buttons but i dont think it helps my cousin said that its just all in your head :P

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    In Firered, I used to press A+B rapidly. Got myself a 5 hits per second title in school.

But I still press A+B+V and it works... Oddly enough.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I heard that the A/B+Up/Down thing does actually work, but your timing has to be incredibly precise.

I used to try the combos all the time back in Gen I, and i'd like to think that sometimes it worked in my favour :)

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    Button combinations do work - but only before you press "Use" on the Poke Ball.

The random number generator is set based upon both the time the action is selected, and delays in button presses.

Unfortunately this has very little use in actual gaming since without a computer of some sort you can't really tell which button presses work and when "Use" should be selected - and even then you need to be precise to 1/60 second (in Gen III) or 1/30 second (in Gen I, II, and IV).

IllusioNzz

Hardstyle is my Style
    Years
    I mash A button. I was also told that the A+B+R+L worked but I never tried it, and Isn't mew meant to be in Cerulean Cave when you beat the E4 12 times or something?

Back