• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when there were only 150 pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2008
    Those were the days. Back when I was young I used to know them all, nowadays there are just too many. I don't see why 150 cute little fuzzy animals wasn't enough ^_^, it is getting out of hand these days.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • That was back in the day...

Now, those 150 Pokémon are really 150 and not just "starter, alakazam, screw the rest, ggnub".
    hha.

EDIT: Remember the TM's? HHA.
    Bide, Bubblebeam, Horn Drill, Fissure, Metronome, AND LOLSOFTBOILED.
    THAT was nostalgia.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I agree that it has gotten a little out-of-hand. I mean, 150 little creatures was enough. I mean, don't get me wrong; I do like Diamond and Pearl and all. However, there are just too many pokémon to keep track of now days. I mean look at Nosepass... what is that?!
    (If you know the answer, don't say it... I prefer not to know. xD)

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    OH MY GOSH YES, I REMEMBER. IT SEEMS SO FAR AWAY, THOUGH. ;__;

Seriously, with all these new Pokemon popping up everywhere, Pokémon just hasn't been the same. Not to mention these new Pokémon aren't the most creative. :/ It's gotten very out-of-hand, if you ask me. The whole "Gotta Catch 'Em All" thing is getting not only more difficult to do (you now would need RSE, FRLG, and DP), but progressively annoying.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    Yes. xD I never knew that there were even more than 150 until about a couple of years ago, before I really got into Pokemon.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
  • Look at Nosepass... what is that?!
    LULZ! Its a giant nose!! Hey, have you met PROBOPASS??

*sigh* I can still remember watching the first movie. I thought there were already too many of em and i cant even remember their names... I used to call Blastoise, Shellshocker... Teh first movie XD... Charizard to me was the king of fire but then all those other pokemons showed up...

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Yeah, in my opinion it's really gotten out of hand. I mean, just the other day I was reading a thread that was bashing Probopass; it was sooo funny! xD

But hey, Nintendo makes more as long as they keep making teh $$$, y'know? No matter how dumb and how upset the older fans are, we have to face the facts sometime; Pokemon is aimed at little kids and new fans keep coming every day. The only way for new Pokemon to stop coming is unfortunately the game/show/whatever being cancelled due to low ratings. -__-;;;

Though remembering the good ol' days with just 150 Pokemon is nice...Back then I could actually name them ALL. XD *dies*

-Neko

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • Ah me...the good ol' days. Playing against friends using the Game Boy Link Cable, trading just to help fill the Pokedex. Those were the good ol' days. However, it is starting to get out of hand. It has come up from 150 to 493! I love Diamond and Rearl, but the original 150 was enough. "But Earl, your favorite Pokemon is Feraligatr!" Yeah, I know, but I was just as content with the original 150 Pokemon as I am now.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Well I was happy for kanto and jhoto, but after that I thought Pokemon went too much detail when hoenn and sinnoh pokemon came out of hand now... But Oh Well... lol

Katnip

Harajuku Lover
    Years
  • I was in kindergarden when the first 150 came out... I remember that pokemon was EVERYWHERE. They had to ban it from my school because kids kept taking the cards, which would get lost or stolen. I didn't get into it until fourth grade, Gen. 3

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I can't even begin to explain how much I disagree with everything this topic stands for. I actually feel disdain for people who feel this way.

First of all, if they didn't add any pokemon past the first generation, it would have died and been completely not fun and this forum wouldn't even exist.

Second of all, 493 is in no way too many pokemon. It's not hard to keep track of them. 7-year olds have no problem doing so. What's the issue? Can you not count that high or something?

I won't say anything else, because I don't want to pick a fight with anyone.

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    I can't even begin to explain how much I disagree with everything this topic stands for. I actually feel disdain for people who feel this way.

First of all, if they didn't add any pokemon past the first generation, it would have died and been completely not fun and this forum wouldn't even exist.

Second of all, 493 is in no way too many pokemon. It's not hard to keep track of them. 7-year olds have no problem doing so. What's the issue? Can you not count that high or something?

I won't say anything else, because I don't want to pick a fight with anyone.

This. Seriously.

I really do look back on the old days with fond memories of trading cards, catching all 150 Pokemon, Glitch City, etc.

I just don't seem to get all of the fuss over Nintendo ruining Pokemon with more supposedly, "unoriginal junk." And when you think about it, there's still actually a fair bit of originality left (despite a rather large number of evolutions and prevolutions in D/P). Personally, I can usually find a fairly large number of Pokemon I like out of every generation. =P

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I agree with YOOM-TAH to a certain extent.
    Sure the old 150 are still the best Pokemon and I miss having only them. But I didn't mind when they added some of the new Pokemon. The only thing that gets me is some of the new ones are not that creative and kind of boring.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Ahh. Those days were just awesome. 150 seems like a huge number i must admit. But if you have a game which made millions ( Namingly Pokemon ) you wouldn't stop at 150 pokemon would you? you would keep going.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I think I agree. Sure, I loved Hoenn, but even then the large number of Pokemon was a bit much... And then they had to completely overdo it with Gen 4. Don't get me wrong; I love some Pokemon from every non-Kanto region, but I think with the unoriginality they've showed with the past Generation (possibly inluding Hoenn), maybe it would have been a good idea to keep the number down around 150. You know they must be running out of ideas when the back of the National Dex is stuffed with a rediculous number of Kanto evos and more than ten legendaries.

This isn't to say, though, that Pokemon would simply have to be R/B/Y and end. They could have easily come up with more creative concepts, made new regions with old Pokemon, and built on more for new games than just "ZOMG 100+ New Pogeymanz lololol!" In fact, in this respect, if they were limited to only 150 Pokemon they would have to make the franchise more interesting to keep people hooked. That would ensure that we'd have less fans saying "It's getting boring... Every generation is just the same thing with new Pokemon."

But, of course, that's all gone and forgotten... Too bad. I miss the days of Kanto (and Jhoto) already...

Years
  • I was happy with the first 150. Red and Blue already had Gengar, the evil ruler of awesomeness, so I would have been ok without too many new ones. He even still looks cool.
    Of course they would have to do SOME new ones. Now they're just running out of ideas for decent new ones. Look at combee.

A short script of the guys who make the pokemon featuring John and Jeff.

John: Hey jeff, the boss wants us to do some more pokemon.
    Jeff: OK John but i'm out of ideas, you?
    John: I know! We'll do a... slice of toast pokemon!
    Jeff: With a bite taken out of it!
    John: And we can put a big bowl on its head and make run round as a buffet for all the other pokemon!
    Jeff: Genius! Are you writing this down?

Pretty accurate script I'd imagine. Now that i've got that out of my system i'll carry on.
    G/S. Not too many bad new pokemon, could have done with a few less.
    R/S. Too many again. Some stupid ones, but introduced some pretty cool ones too.
    D/P. This is when they overworked Jeff and John. Far too many new ones, i had only just learned the names of the 3rd gen. And most of them were pretty stupid.
    There's lots more but i've wasted enough of your time and space with this post, so... I'll Go.

Back