• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
    Years
    I've devised a new set for stall in uu. And before you say; stall is still good in uu.

Name: Torment Drapion
    Move 1: Crunch
    Move 2: Protect
    Move 3: Substitute
    Move 4: Torment
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Battle armor
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Speed

This set may not look that great on paper however when you look more into it it is extremely effective. Firstly take note of how Drapion has just one weakness, Ground, so breaking its subs when it has torment up is nearly impossible. Its ability Battle armor also allows it to stop critical hits ruining it.

Ev wise, I max out HP,run 16 in speed (to outspeed +speed Omaster and Cacturne) and put the rest in defense for maximum bulk (impish also helps this)

Drapion can switch in and force out many of the more common swords dance sets such as Venasaur and Arcanine thus allowing him to set up his own Substitute.

He appreciates Toxic as support (not toxic spikes as Venasaur absorbs it) Feel free to test.

Chub 777

Golden User
    Years
    I have an EV training question.

Ok, so I'm EV training my Torterra with Speed points by battle Starly. When I level my Torterra up, I get only 2 speed EVs instead of the 5 (fighting Starly 20 times). What is this happening?

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    Metagross @ Expert Belt
    Naughty
    252 Atk/124 SpA/132 Spe
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Shadow Ball
    Grass Knot

What you see here is Smogon's mixed attacker set for Metagross. Before you say anything about HP fire, read my little story. The other day, I was checking which pokemon were swarming for the day.

Turns out it was Beldum, so I figured, "What the hell? Let's see if I can catch a shiny."A few hours of chaining later, BAM! Shiny Beldum! I honestly wanted one with an adamant nature for a lead, but you have to work with what you have. I've tested its Hidden Power, but unfortunately, it wasn't fire, so I'm using Shadow Ball instead.

Anyway, what I want to know is if Bullet Punch would work over Meteor Mash. They both have stab, yes. But with Metagross' already massive attack capping at 405, Meteor Mash just seems like overkill, and I'd really like priority instead. What do you think?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ok, so I'm EV training my Torterra with Speed points by battle Starly. When I level my Torterra up, I get only 2 speed EVs instead of the 5 (fighting Starly 20 times). What is this happening?
    The EVs you gain do not reflect the stats you gain when you level up. You won't be able to see the full effects of EVs right away, especially if you're at a low level.

Metagross @ Expert Belt
    Naughty
    252 Atk/124 SpA/132 Spe
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Shadow Ball
    Grass Knot

What you see here is Smogon's mixed attacker set for Metagross. Before you say anything about HP fire, read my little story. The other day, I was checking which pokemon were swarming for the day.

Turns out it was Beldum, so I figured, "What the hell? Let's see if I can catch a shiny."A few hours of chaining later, BAM! Shiny Beldum! I honestly wanted one with an adamant nature for a lead, but you have to work with what you have. I've tested its Hidden Power, but unfortunately, it wasn't fire, so I'm using Shadow Ball instead.

Anyway, what I want to know is if Bullet Punch would work over Meteor Mash. They both have stab, yes. But with Metagross' already massive attack capping at 405, Meteor Mash just seems like overkill, and I'd really like priority instead. What do you think?

Overkill, wtf? You WANT your opponent to survive your attacks or something? Anyways, I doubt the Beldum you caught has good IVs. This set requires you to have a 31 Special Attack and Speed IV, otherwise you won't be able to OHKO Swampert and you won't be able to outrun defensive Suicune/non-Scarfed Magnezone. Shininess isn't as important as stats.

Why would you use Bullet Punch on a Suicune? It's not going to doing anything.
    Anyways, just use Meteor Mash. As a mixed sweeper, you need to focus on dealing as much damage as possible from both sides.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    BUT IT IS FOR BOTH IN GAME AND COMPETITIVE!!!! O_O

For NOW, I plan on using it in the game since I don't have WiFi yet. But once I do, I will use it for competitive play.

Just a reminder, I want a moveset strategy for a Combusken in Gen.4.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years

Adding on to what aragornbird said, your EVs will be givin out slowly as you reach lvl 100. If you were to be doing this at lvl 99 you would then see all the stat gain you expected.

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    Got done with a whole lot of moving crap today, and I finally got on Serebii's IV calculator. It appears I've caught the best Beldum EVER. It has 31 IVs in attack, 30 IVs in special attack, and 31 IVs in speed. I checked 3 times, and I'm completely floored. Now will someone answer my question about Bullet Punch being any good for priority > power?

Years
    How would this Ninetails set work out, its basically an annoyer/crippler

252 Sp.Att and Speed
    Item: left overs/Focus Sash
    Will-O-wisp
    Overheat
    Power Swap/Grudge/Magic Coat
    Grudge/Magic Coat/Power Swap

WoW for Physical attackers
    Overheat so that taunt wont screw you over.
    Use Power Swap to force special attackers to switch when you used overheat
    Grudge when you're low on health (works best with Focus Sash cause most people would use the same attack again that would have OHKO'd you)
    Magic Coat to reflect thunder waves and hypnosis and what ever else

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    How would this Ninetails set work out, its basically an annoyer/crippler

252 Sp.Att and Speed
    Item: left overs/Focus Sash
    Will-O-wisp
    Overheat
    Power Swap/Grudge/Magic Coat
    Grudge/Magic Coat/Power Swap

WoW for Physical attackers
    Overheat so that taunt wont screw you over.
    Use Power Swap to force special attackers to switch when you used overheat
    Grudge when you're low on health (works best with Focus Sash cause most people would use the same attack again that would have OHKO'd you)
    Magic Coat to reflect thunder waves and hypnosis and what ever else
    I doubt it; Stealth Rock weak, lack of recovery, defeated easily by Water-types and all, etc. Test it to see if it does work well.

How's does wailord learn selfdestruct?
    XD: Gale of Darkness move tutor.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2010
    I doubt it; Stealth Rock weak, lack of recovery, defeated easily by Water-types and all, etc. Test it to see if it does work well.

XD: Gale of Darkness move tutor.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! I don't have XD..... D;

One more question. How does delibird learn spikes in gsc?

Last edited:

chrisindahouse

city of champions
    Years
    Is this a good trade?

Lv. 57 Vaporen for Lv. 50+ Above Lapras.

I really like Lapras, but my Vaporeon has phenomenal stats. Would Lapras compare in terms of move sets and spec. stats?

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Don't do it. If you're so high on your Vaporeon you could catch a Lapras in game later.

Also, this topic title made me think back to my pokemon card days.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! I don't have XD..... D;

One more question. How does delibird learn spikes in gsc?

It was from a Nintendo event back in the day, so either you have the event Pokemon, or you have to use Shoddy/Netbattle to simulate the battle to have it.

Years
    I am aware of the one-sided debate of how Leftovers is more reliable/better than Shell Bell (Works every turn, constant, better for walling, Shell Bell requires a ton of damage to match leftovers, sweepers are better off using Life Orb, etc.)

However, my question is, what if the Pokemon is a 2-on-2 (or possibly projecting ahead, 3-on-3) defensive/stat boosting-sweeper whose primary attack is a multi-target attack such as Surf/Earthquake? Would Shell Bell prove to be more useful than Leftovers when taking into account the combined damage dealt to all 3 (or maybe in the next gen, 5) Pokemon (enemies and teammates [Or does teammate damage not count?] )?

And I think that because the teammate would be caught in the attack, a Life Orb or Choice Band/Specs would *sort of* work against me if I want the teammate(s) to stick around longer, especially if the attack is already strong enough to KO my opponent(s) without item boosts. This is assuming that the teammate doesn't have Water Absorb (Surf) or Levitate/Flying-type(Earthquake).

So, would Shell Bell actually outperform and be a better choice than Leftovers under these conditions? Or has anyone tried this before and can share experience?
    I don't know how else to resurface my question than to actually re-post it again (quoted above). Hope for a quick, yet analytical answer since my team is kinda hanging in the air waiting on a recommendation to this question.

Question recap: Would Shell Bell be a smarter choice over Leftovers based on the quoted circumstances above?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Neither are good choices in a double battle. Both Shell Bell and Leftovers can't recover enough health to be of any significance in a double battle because double battles are hyper offensive.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    Hi. I am using Aggron in OU play.

Aggron @ Leftovers
    Adamant Nature | Rock Head Ability
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Head Smash
    - Magnet Rise

It is really not working very effectively. Should I make a moveset change or replace Aggron altogether?

Thanks

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Hi. I am using Aggron in OU play.

Aggron @ Leftovers
    Adamant Nature | Rock Head Ability
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Head Smash
    - Magnet Rise

It is really not working very effectively. Should I make a moveset change or replace Aggron altogether?

Thanks

I would replace Aggron altogether, its typing is just way too horrible to be viable in competitive play. Although rock polish sets work out okay.

Try running a Tyraniboah, its somewhat similar to your Aggron, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    I would replace Aggron altogether, its typing is just way too horrible to be viable in competitive play. Although rock polish sets work out okay.

Try running a Tyraniboah, its somewhat similar to your Aggron, I guess.

Hm, I've never seen that set before. I looked it up and it seems convincing enough, but could you explain to me why it has 2 special move slots in the set? Seems odd to me!

Thanks

Back