• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Spike Kintarin

Don't run! It's just ham!
    Years
    Hey, would this be a decent moveset for a Pikachu? ((Just got the flying and surfing ones from the Pokewalker, and wanted to use the Surfer...))

-Timid/Static/Light Ball

Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Grass Knot
    Substitute

Used mostly the Special Sweeper from smogon, but took out HP Ice and replaced with Surf (obviously).

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Hey, would this be a decent moveset for a Pikachu? ((Just got the flying and surfing ones from the Pokewalker, and wanted to use the Surfer...))

-Timid/Static/Light Ball

Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Grass Knot
    Substitute

Used mostly the Special Sweeper from smogon, but took out HP Ice and replaced with Surf (obviously).

First of all, I am so jealous you got those natures and whatnot from a Pikachu on the pokewalker. >:[ But yea, it looks good, except I would go Nasty Plot over Substitute.

Spike Kintarin

Years

First of all, I am so jealous you got those natures and whatnot from a Pikachu on the pokewalker. >:[ But yea, it looks good, except I would go Nasty Plot over Substitute.

heh, I got kinda lucky. ^^ It took about three tries (once I saw the !!!, which took about an hour of work seeing it three times, and being successful twice.), but I got the ones I wanted/needed...

And NP sounds good. I kinda hate Sub... >_> Just gotta build on it for next weekend before I go up against some friends. Thanks. ^-^

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    35/30/40 Defenses is NOT sufficient to use Nasty Plot. Its like a NU Deoxys-A, if it gets hit by anything it WILL die, so its needs Sub to do as much damage as possible to avoid getting hit at all costs.

Spike Kintarin

Years
    35/30/40 Defenses is NOT sufficient to use Nasty Plot. Its like a NU Deoxys-A, if it gets hit by anything it WILL die, so its needs Sub to do as much damage as possible to avoid getting hit at all costs.

Ah, yeah, just saw that. Plus, I'd have to breed to get NP anyway and Surf wouldn't be added (or at least I don't think it would). So, aye... gotta go with Sub. e_e

SUTANRII

The New Guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010
    I hope I am not doing this wrong, but so many threads (easy to get lost here with all the links to other places). I think my questions belong here though. Can someone explain EVs and what I can do to help fix my team that I want to use:

My team that I am working on (GOING TO GET THEM TO LEVEL 100 BEFORE USE):

SCEPTILE - Level 60
    Attack - 140 / Defense - 114/ Sp. Attack - 161 / Sp. Def - 116 / Speed 151
    Attacks: Leaf Blade / Frenzy Plant / Slam / Quick Attack

INFERNAPE - Level 44
    Attack - 116 / Defense - 77/ Sp. Attack - 104 / Sp. Def - 69 / Speed - 107
    Attacks: Flame Wheel / Torment / Thunderpunch / Close Combat

I plan to add

NIDORINO
    Current Level 23
    As you can imagine the stats are low, but if you guys explain what EV is and how I can use it properly, I will know what to use. The moveset I was looking for with him is Ice Beam, Toxic Spikes , Need Ideas for the last two

GARCHOMP
    Waiting to obtain a Gible so I can start from the beginning.
    I plan on having it learn Dragon Rush, Stone Edge, Need Ideas

CHARIZARD

Waiting to obtain a Charmander or a Charizard.
    I plan on having it learn: Need Ideas >.<

Sixth Pokemon is up for grabs, but I planned on using either RAMPARADOS(spelling?) or GALLADE

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    If I were to get an XD Dragonite with Heal Bell, then breed it, could I get a Dratini with Heal Bell so I could train it from there?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I hope I am not doing this wrong, but so many threads (easy to get lost here with all the links to other places). I think my questions belong here though. Can someone explain EVs and what I can do to help fix my team that I want to use: -stuff-

Effort values (abbreviated EVs and previously called Stat XP) are attributes which give bonuses to a Pokémon's stats and improve differently depending which Pokémon they defeat. These bonuses, in the form of effort points, are gained in addition to bonuses gained by increasing level. A Pokémon which increases in level using a Rare Candy instead of battling does not gain any EVs, making it weaker than a Pokémon who increases in level normally.

Roughly speaking, defeating fast Pokémon increases Speed better than fighting slow Pokémon, defeating Pokémon with high hit points improves HP more than defeating Pokémon with low HP, and so on. For example, fighting 100 Machop will improve a Pokémon's attack stat more than fighting 100 Abra of the same level, whereas the Abra will improve the Special Attack stat more. (copied from bulbapedia)

tl;dr EVs are things you get from defeating pokemon (which vary from pokemon to pokemon) that affect how your stat value grows. If you defeat 100 Abras, you will get 25 Sp.Atk EVs, because your stat goes up 1 point for ever 4 EVs (100/4 = 25 EVs). A Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get per pokemon (100/2 = 50 EVs). And there are power items which quadruple the amount of EVs you get (100/1 = 100 EVs).

I hope that explains it.

SUTANRII

The New Guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010

Effort values (abbreviated EVs and previously called Stat XP) are attributes which give bonuses to a Pokémon's stats and improve differently depending which Pokémon they defeat. These bonuses, in the form of effort points, are gained in addition to bonuses gained by increasing level. A Pokémon which increases in level using a Rare Candy instead of battling does not gain any EVs, making it weaker than a Pokémon who increases in level normally.

Roughly speaking, defeating fast Pokémon increases Speed better than fighting slow Pokémon, defeating Pokémon with high hit points improves HP more than defeating Pokémon with low HP, and so on. For example, fighting 100 Machop will improve a Pokémon's attack stat more than fighting 100 Abra of the same level, whereas the Abra will improve the Special Attack stat more. (copied from bulbapedia)

tl;dr EVs are things you get from defeating pokemon (which vary from pokemon to pokemon) that affect how your stat value grows. If you defeat 100 Abras, you will get 25 Sp.Atk EVs, because your stat goes up 1 point for ever 4 EVs (100/4 = 25 EVs). A Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get per pokemon (100/2 = 50 EVs). And there are power items which quadruple the amount of EVs you get (100/1 = 100 EVs).

I hope that explains it.

Wow, I swear I read it over and over from Bulbapedia and other sites that were extremely long and confusing, but I understand more now. So, basically, by leveling up in certain areas of the game, affecting which pokemon I encounter, I can level up a pokemon's stat. Alright, so if you have Soul Silver, where would I go to level up attack Effort Values? And are there any items in Soul Silver that can help me?

Also if you could provide any critique to the team (what moves to change/etc) I would be grateful!

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Wow, I swear I read it over and over from Bulbapedia and other sites that were extremely long and confusing, but I understand more now. So, basically, by leveling up in certain areas of the game, affecting which pokemon I encounter, I can level up a pokemon's stat. Alright, so if you have Soul Silver, where would I go to level up attack Effort Values? And are there any items in Soul Silver that can help me?
    Also if you could provide any critique to the team (what moves to change/etc) I would be grateful!

The best way to get you're team rated, is to post an RMT in the main forum. If its for an ingame team, I wouldn't bother because it will get locked, if not, then just post on what you plan on having/what you have and it will get rates/suggestions/etc.

EDIT: yes. to below post. (can't bypass 25 character limit ;_;)

Last edited:

SUTANRII

The New Guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010

The best way to get you're team rated, is to post an RMT in the main forum. If its for an ingame team, I wouldn't bother because it will get locked, if not, then just post on what you plan on having/what you have and it will get rates/suggestions/etc.

What do you mean in-game? Like a team I have to play through the game with? I plan on using this team for battles, so it would be okay right?

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
    I've already done a few teams of hacks.. (I'll go by your definition this time).
    None of those I battled with ever said my Pokemon were hacked.

Well, if anyone could answer this question for my NU (mixed) Pikachu (Pokemon Yellow!! ^_^) I'd appreciate it.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
    EVs :
    -Thunderbolt
    -Quick Attack
    -Brick Break
    -Surf

is legit? Or else, is Grass Knot better than Surf?

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If I were to get an XD Dragonite with Heal Bell, then breed it, could I get a Dratini with Heal Bell so I could train it from there?

No Dratini cannot get Heal Bell via Breeding so no.

I've already done a few teams of hacks.. (I'll go by your definition this time).
    None of those I battled with ever said my Pokemon were hacked.

Well, if anyone could answer this question for my NU Pikachu (Pokemon Yellow!! ^_^) I'd appreciate it.

No one cares about hacks anymore tbh lol

And Sub >>> Quick Attack. Pika cannot afford to get hit by ANYTHING, period. Though Raichu is really so much better and is more powerful than Pika with a Life Orb and doesn't lose to Tackle (literally) lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015

As far as Attack EVs in Soul Silver, go to the Water North/West of Cerulean City. Goldeen give 1 EV in attack, Seaking give 2.

And you can buy power items that lower their speed (Not permanently, just while holding the item), but double the EV each item gives. Like one of them will give you double the Attack EVs, so each Goldeen will be worth 2, each Seaking worth 4. You get them for... 16? BP in the Battle Frontier.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    I picked up my event Arceus the other day, but it is a nuetral nature but does have IVs of

21 HP
    12 A
    30 D
    30 Sp.A
    26 Sp.D
    25 Spd

Should it still be used or is it worthless cause of the nature? I know smogon has many variations of strategies for it but none are with this nature. Maybe I could still use it as a screen setup? Also how much should I follow smogon's ideas? I know they have really good info, but how much should I tweak what they have?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I picked up my event Arceus the other day, but it is a nuetral nature but does have IVs of

21 HP
    12 A
    30 D
    30 Sp.A
    26 Sp.D
    25 Spd

Should it still be used or is it worthless cause of the nature? I know smogon has many variations of strategies for it but none are with this nature. Maybe I could still use it as a screen setup? Also how much should I follow smogon's ideas? I know they have really good info, but how much should I tweak what they have?
    As far as I know, Arceus can only be obtained at level 100. Therefore Arceus cannot be EV Trained at all, unless you use vitamins.

Back