• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    Roar can never cut off attacks anyway. (Unless said move has a -4 priority, and the pokemon being roared on is slower than Pert). See, roar and whirlwind (essentially the same move) have negative 4 priority. Meaning anything with higher priority will take place first. So no, speed doesn't matter on moves like Roar.

And LeadPert isn't bad. His strategy is not really to phaze and wrack up SR damage, but that's more of a way to scout teams and figure out what the opponent has. Even still. Pert tends to lay down SR and switch out, then return later to phaze stat-uppers. Since he's got the bulk, he's not a suicide lead and therefore is chosen because he can return later in the battle and do work.

Hope this helps in your decision making. ;3

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well The first set could work for me but if its got EQ and the +4 atk evs and a nature that takes away speed then why not remove ice beam with avalanche as I have used in my set for a much higher base power.

Ice Beam does more damage and is more reliable.

I have my doubt about the first set sugjested , the second one seems much more functionable just at looks. curse sounds like a useful move to possibly replace stealth rock, the only mater is getting it, I dont know what pokemon would give the egg move.

SR is the best move in the game.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    NINJA!!!!

@ Focus Sash
    Sicky Hold - Timid Nature
    252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Sp Atk
    Extreme Risk
    Focus Blast
    Bug Buzz
    Toxic/Yawn

I love this little guy. 80 Base Hp isn't the greatest, but maxed it ends up at 364. A lot of leads don't have too many EVs in HP, so Extreme Risk usually takes it out.

Focus Blast and Bug Buzz are mainly there for filler, but it's great when you can surprise your opponent by getting a super-effective hit, sometimes for the OHKO.

I'm not quite sure about the fourth move. Toxic puts the death mark on their lead, but usually once it gets a few attack in, most leads have already served their purpose.

Yawn forces a switch, but like I said before, most leads end up switching out anyway or exploding.

I love this ninja, but unfortunately, he can't learn Taunt. :(

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Moonlord

The ........MewTwo
    Years
    • LA
    • Seen Feb 6, 2011
    ehh,this is pretty cool and all, But I don't feel any serious reacts in my head about that pokemon.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday

@ Focus Sash
    Sicky Hold - Timid Nature
    252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Sp Atk
    Extreme Risk
    Focus Blast
    Bug Buzz
    Toxic/Yawn

I love this little guy. 80 Base Hp isn't the greatest, but maxed it ends up at 364. A lot of leads don't have too many EVs in HP, so Extreme Risk usually takes it out.

Focus Blast and Bug Buzz are mainly there for filler, but it's great when you can surprise your opponent by getting a super-effective hit, sometimes for the OHKO.

I'm not quite sure about the fourth move. Toxic puts the death mark on their lead, but usually once it gets a few attack in, most leads have already served their purpose.

Yawn forces a switch, but like I said before, most leads end up switching out anyway or exploding.

I love this ninja, but unfortunately, he can't learn Taunt. :(

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Seems too gimmicky and you arent using its best move, aka Spikes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    Is this team good or just for whimsy?

Exploud
    -Fire Blast
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder Fang
    -Fire Punch

Rhyperior
    -Blizzard
    -Thunderbolt
    -Fire Fang
    -Ice Punch

Tyranitar
    -Thunder
    -Flamethrower
    -Ice Fang
    -ThunderPunch

i was playin around on serebii's moveset calculator and discovered these possiblities and thought it would be a fun battle frontier or wi fi team or something but would it do much damage..theres little type coverage and no stab moves, hence the thread

xrtlop

Fail trainer
    Years
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, you're setting yourself up to be demolished by fighting, so you might want to fix that. At least add in something to hit fighting types. Rhyperior and Exploud are all right, but you might want some better Pokemon in there instead. It might be decent, but it doesn't seem that strong to me. That's just my opinion though.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    You're gonna get pwned in the Battle Frontier with that team, sorry. As for wifi, if you battle against someone who battles competitively, you're gonna get pwned...again.

Rhyperior - High attack, crap special attack. Blizzard and Thunderbolt is a waste. Rhyperior movesets.

Tyranitar - High attack, pretty good special attack. Why two electric attacks? Better.

Exploud just sucks, sorry. But here you go.

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to get a high streak in the Battle Frontier is with a lot of support. Baton passing stat boosts, maybe weather-based teams...I've tried plugging through with a pure power team but either I'm doing something wrong or it's a difficult type of team to use in the Frontier. In the Frontier, it's better if you used EV trained pokemon, and maybe pokemon with high IVs. Randomly caught and trained pokemon won't work very well in the Frontier.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    You're gonna get pwned in the Battle Frontier with that team, sorry. As for wifi, if you battle against someone who battles competitively, you're gonna get pwned...again.

Rhyperior - High attack, crap special attack. Blizzard and Thunderbolt is a waste. Rhyperior movesets.

Tyranitar - High attack, pretty good special attack. Why two electric attacks? Better.

Exploud just sucks, sorry. But here you go.

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to get a high streak in the Battle Frontier is with a lot of support. Baton passing stat boosts, maybe weather-based teams...I've tried plugging through with a pure power team but either I'm doing something wrong or it's a difficult type of team to use in the Frontier. In the Frontier, it's better if you used EV trained pokemon, and maybe pokemon with high IVs. Randomly caught and trained pokemon won't work very well in the Frontier.

the whole reasoning of the team is having each of these moves incorporated
    fire blast - blizzard - thunder
    flamethrower - ice beam - thunderbolt
    fire punch- ice punch - thunderpunch
    fire fang - ice fang - thunder fang

but like i said not alot of type coverage and as you said exploud is crap haha

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
    Avalanche or Blizzard?

Alright, I'm creating a hail team, which implies that a *certain* Pokemon is on my team (and leads it.) I don't really care for the guy myself, but his role is vital, even if it doesn't extend beyond his ability. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with his Moveset. Here he is, currently:

Festivus/ABOMASNOW (male, as if that matters)

ABILITY: Snow Warning (hurp derp)
    @Several Options--Type-weakening Berry (Occa is obvious, perhaps Charti for TTar)
    --Big Root (probably not)
    --Sitrus Berry (personal favorite, as it ensures me enough HP to pull off
    a Substitute)
    NATURE: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
    IV's (not precise): HP:27-28, Atk: 24-25, Def, Sp Def: Perfect 31s, Sp Atk: low, low 4
    Spd: 3-6 (which is good, as I want him to be slower than other
    auto-weather Pokemon, except for Hippowdon)
    EV's: Very, very tentative. I'm growing Hondews as I write this.
    148 Atk/100 Def/162 Sp Atk/100 Sp Def

Moves: Leech Seed (Support, great w/ Hail and Sub/ Protect. My Walrein enjoys it.)
    Substitute (May exchange w/ Protect. Thoughts?)
    Focus Punch (Great with Sub or raw prediction)
    Blizzard (100% accuracy, 120 BP, STAB, special; however, very common on my
    team)

The discrepancy is that final move, Blizzard. I'm thinking about trading it out for Avalanche. Here's why:

PRO BLIZ: Reliable, powerful.
    CON BLIZ: Seen everywhere on my team, predictable, blah :P. Forces me to split EV's.

PRO LANCHE: If I take a hit first, is of greater power than Bliz (remember IV's);
    Synergistic w/ Focus Punch; Don't mind moving last (probably would
    anyways); MOST IMPORTANTLY, allows me to redistribute EV's to increase
    bulk and power, as it is physical.
    CON LANCHE: Requires the opponent to attack and hit (if they don't, however, I have
    FP); Terrible synergy w/ Sub.

Please provide input backed with reason! Don't reference smogon or serebii, for I am not a very serious battler and am in it for the lulz rather than the wins. Also, I don't like predictability in my battles, preferring gimmicky movesets (yes, I LOVE GIMMICKY MOVESETS.) If you need more information, please ask! :) (Don't think this matters, but I tend to use weaker, unseen Pokemon and strategies rather than your common, top-tier ones. Shelgon has a niche as a Dragon Dancer on this hail team!)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    I just got my shiny Raikou from the event. I'm new to IV/EV training, but I think it's pretty good.
    Nature: Rash
    Characteristic: Highly Curious
    IVs
    HP: 26
    Atk: 1
    Defense: 13
    Sp. Atk: 30
    Sp. Def: 30
    Speed: 23
    The attack won't matter since I'm going to give it special attacks. (and defense either, I guess)
    So, my question is this. I already have a Jolteon which I like very much. But I was told that its nature isn't very good. Its speed is great, but its Special Attack, imo, could be better.
    Should I replace it with this Raikou?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    Raikou wants Timid, usually, not Rash. But hey, Gamestop Raikou, so you're stuck with it. Good IVs though. Raikou and Jolteon have very different movesets so they serve completely different purposes. It's really up to you which you want to use. Jolteon's movesets and Raikou's movesets. Raikou is much bulkier than Jolteon so it abuses Calm Mind sets much more easily than Jolteon could. Jolteon, however, has Baton Pass, so whatever boost it gets, it can pass it to teammates and escape. So like I said, it's up to you. You have to determine which will fit your team better.

Lecapria

Jellyfish with Headphones
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    EV training

So i've looked up everything about effort value training understanding every last bit. I decided to try to EV train my new Steelix. I hatched an onix, making sure it had sassy nature, evolved it right away, and gave it pokerus, macho brace, and vitamins for spD and atk, which were the 2 stats i wanted to raise.

I completely maxed out both of them, and got my effort ribbon and raised it to lvl100. I have a steelix of the exact same level that was not EV trained and the stats only had about 6pts difference!! by my calculations they should have gone up 63pts each. Isnt that correct?

comparing the stats, the ones i EV trained were just 6 pts more, and the lest 4pts less. my speed was actually higher than the one that wasnt Trained by 15pts when i didt train for speed at all!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    So i've looked up everything about effort value training understanding every last bit. I decided to try to EV train my new Steelix. I hatched an onix, making sure it had sassy nature, evolved it right away, and gave it pokerus, macho brace, and vitamins for spD and atk, which were the 2 stats i wanted to raise.

I completely maxed out both of them, and got my effort ribbon and raised it to lvl100. I have a steelix of the exact same level that was not EV trained and the stats only had about 6pts difference!! by my calculations they should have gone up 63pts each. Isnt that correct?

comparing the stats, the ones i EV trained were just 6 pts more, and the lest 4pts less. my speed was actually higher than the one that wasnt Trained by 15pts when i didt train for speed at all!

Different Pokemon have different stats because of something called IVs, or Individual Values. It ranges from 0-31 in any stat, and they greatly affect how well the stat grows. A "perfect" Pokemon is bred with 31 IVs across the board, but some Pokemon can do with something like 31/x/31/28/30/31.

Anyway, point is that EVs are not all of the factors that go into stats.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    But full EVs would add 63 points to a stat. 63 - 31 = 32, so even ignoring the nature it's still too small a difference.

Unless, of course, the second Steelix has EVs. EVs will go on a Pokemon even if you aren't thinking "hey, I'm EV training this dude".

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Kyurem is OU, because it's less powerful than Reshiram and Zekrom I assume.

Its base speed is signficantly slower, it's SR weak (as is Reshiram, but eh), it has an awful defensive typing and its offensive stabs aren't perfect... there's a fairly large gap between Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyurem.

Lecapria

Jellyfish with Headphones
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    So i have 2 Steelix, each lvl100. one EV trained with max stats in spD and atk. The other one is not EV trained. However theres only a 6pt stat difference. Why???

Back