• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    So i have 2 Steelix, each lvl100. one EV trained with max stats in spD and atk. The other one is not EV trained. However theres only a 6pt stat difference. Why???

Unless you dropped rare candies on it until it reached level 100, it DOES have EVs. Go ahead and use your stat reducing berries on it and see how much of a difference there are.

Secondly, like Vrai says, the pokemon's IVs also has an effect on the stats. Maybe your EV trained Steelix has crappy IVs while your "non-EV'd" one has excellent ones. A pokemon's IVs range from 0-31 in each of its stats. 31 x 6 = 186, 186 is how much your pokemons' stats could vary by, ignoring EVs.

Lecapria

Jellyfish with Headphones
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    Unless you dropped rare candies on it until it reached level 100, it DOES have EVs. Go ahead and use your stat reducing berries on it and see how much of a difference there are.

Secondly, like Vrai says, the pokemon's IVs also has an effect on the stats. Maybe your EV trained Steelix has crappy IVs while your "non-EV'd" one has excellent ones. A pokemon's IVs range from 0-31 in each of its stats. 31 x 6 = 186, 186 is how much your pokemons' stats could vary by, ignoring EVs.

the second one i DID just drop rare candies on it. and there should be about a 63pt stat difference right?

the second one i DID just drop rare candies on it. and there should be about a 63pt stat difference right? and the other steelix i caught so it wouldnt have any IV changes. the one with no evs

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    the second one i DID just drop rare candies on it. and there should be about a 63pt stat difference right? and the other steelix i caught so it wouldnt have any IV changes. the one with no evs

IVs don't change. They're set once you obtain the Pokemon, and they're the same from then on.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    So i've looked up everything about effort value training understanding every last bit. I decided to try to EV train my new Steelix. I hatched an onix, making sure it had sassy nature, evolved it right away, and gave it pokerus, macho brace, and vitamins for spD and atk, which were the 2 stats i wanted to raise.

I completely maxed out both of them, and got my effort ribbon. I have a steelix of the exact same level that was not EV trained and the stats only had about 6pts difference!! by my calculations they should have gone up 63pts each. Isnt that correct??
    Wrong section (should go in the Strategies and Movesets forum, in the Simple Questions thread there), but they'd be 63 points apart if both were at level 100 (and the other one had no EVs at all)
    one is level 99 the other is 100
    Er, were the vitamins the only thing you used?
    yeah. only the ones that boost spD and atk though

Just copying the convo from the wrong thread to this one.

The problem is that you only used the vitamins. :x

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Just copying the convo from the wrong thread to this one.

The problem is that you only used the vitamins. :x

Yeah. Vitamins only provide 100 EVs max in each stat; if you use any more, they don't have any effect.

Lecapria

Jellyfish with Headphones
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    i didnt JUST use vitamins. i have my effort ribbon! i used the vitamins then fought tons of tentacool, gyrados and seaking!

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    I have no idea whether or not this is the right thread or not...
    Ok, so, I've been thinking of maybe getting back into competitive battling again. However, my Pokemon Platinum is broke, my Pokemon SoulSilver is lost, and I have recently started over in Diamond. So, should I start now on Pokemon Diamond (Well, not now as in now now, but now as now when I have defeated the Pokemon League), or should I just wait for Pokemon Black/White to come out in the UK?
    Because I honestly have no idea :\

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok, so, I've been thinking of maybe getting back into competitive battling again. However, my Pokemon Platinum is broke, my Pokemon SoulSilver is lost, and I have recently started over in Diamond. So, should I start now on Pokemon Diamond (Well, not now as in now now, but now as now when I have defeated the Pokemon League), or should I just wait for Pokemon Black/White to come out in the UK?
    If it were me, I would wait until BW release because not many people battle 4th gen competitively anymore (well, here at least). You could use Pokémon Online until then, since it does have 3-5 generations anyway.

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    I have a Turtwig and Starly, both level 9. I am up to Jubilife City (note I'm on Platinum) and I need to know what sort of Pokemon that are recommended to catch before advancing. Thankyou! :)

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Personally I'll restart and start stocking up on BPs.
    Some tutor moves that are really useful (like Low Kick) aren't in BW, and having a 4th gen game with BP to spend is a nice advantage.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    What's a good counter for 5th gen Gengar? With moveset shadow ball, hp fire, focus blast, sub.
    Also anyone know a replacement for scarf Skymin, with ability to check similar pokes that Skymin did?

gamefan1

Mystery Trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    My new charizard and sceptile needs moveset

I had to restard my sceptile and charizard cause they where not properly ev trained (so long shiny charizard T.T) but yeah anw heres what ive done so far im going to trainthem till level 50 only and i need good move set.

Charizard: Lvl .43

Timid nature (to boost his speed)
    Exp.share for now lol
    Hp:130
    attack: 81
    defense:84
    Sp.Attack:117 (max out)
    SP.Def: 90
    Speed: 125 (Max out)

Sceptile: lvl.43

Modest nature (to increase Sp.attack )
    Exp.share :P
    Hp: 115
    Attack: 77
    Defense: 66
    Sp.Attack: 126 (max out)
    Sp.Defence: 90
    Speed: 134 (Max out)

So yeah basiccaly i maxed out my sceptile and charizard speed and sp.attack im thinking about giving them a focus slash to prevent a ohkho

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Really? No response to my post? I basically wrote a post half of the length of a novel...

No matter, for I've decided upon Avalanche by my own accord.

Use Blizzard.

Avalanche is bad because its -4 priority, meaning almost every move will hit before it activates, key moves here are Focus Punch and Vital Throw, which will OHKO Abomosnow. Blizzard also has a chance to freeze and will do more against Skarmory.

I had to restard my sceptile and charizard cause they where not properly ev trained (so long shiny charizard T.T) but yeah anw heres what ive done so far im going to trainthem till level 50 only and i need good move set.

Charizard: Lvl .43

Timid nature (to boost his speed)
    Exp.share for now lol
    Hp:130
    attack: 81
    defense:84
    Sp.Attack:117 (max out)
    SP.Def: 90
    Speed: 125 (Max out)

Sceptile: lvl.43

Modest nature (to increase Sp.attack )
    Exp.share :P
    Hp: 115
    Attack: 77
    Defense: 66
    Sp.Attack: 126 (max out)
    Sp.Defence: 90
    Speed: 134 (Max out)

So yeah basiccaly i maxed out my sceptile and charizard speed and sp.attack im thinking about giving them a focus slash to prevent a ohkho

Charizard should probably have: Fire Blast / Air Slash / Hidden Power [Ground] or [Grass] and Roost. If you can't breed for Hidden Powers or just plain don't want to, run something like Brick Break for Blissey (wont OHKO or anything, but it will do a sizeable chunk). (I'm assuming this is for the Battle Frontier). Run a Life Orb.

Sceptile can do something like: Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Ice] or [Fire] / Leech Seed / Substitute. Again, if you don't want to breed for Hidden Powers just throw in some special move. I guess Dragon Pulse is about the only option. Alternatively, rebreed and run a physical subseeder with something like Leaf Blade / X-Scissor / Substitute / Leech Seed w/Jolly. Basically, you want a STAB move, Sub + Seed + a move to take out Grass-types that stop your sub-seeding. I guess Aerial Ace could work, also make it hold Leftovers.

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Small question that was always on my mind:
    Do you guys play with the Smogon rules/lvl.100 6-on-6 just because it happens to be the most popular way to play in the English speaking community/Pokemon Online?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Small question that was always on my mind:
    Do you guys play with the Smogon rules/lvl.100 6-on-6 just because it happens to be the most popular way to play in the English speaking community/Pokemon Online?

Yep we play with smogon rules because of the reasons you said lol

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
    Movesets given to me last year:
    Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    Eruption
    Focus Punch
    Fire Blast
    Hidden Power (Rock/Grass)

Tauros @ Life Orb/CB
    Trait: Intimidate
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    Return
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Payback

I need some moveset for this Pokemon:
    Togekiss
    Alakazam
    Tentacruel
    Tangrowth

Btw, i am starting over in HG.:)

Last edited:

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
    Years
    I know this may be a stupid question and apologize if its been answered in here but what exactly are ivs/evs and how do you train/use them? What do you aim for? I have been playing since the beginning but never paid attention to the stats or natures.

Back